This is Madness

PASD said:
HEM said:
Skizzy Grey said:
I think we should change the law to provide run-offs between the top two candidates in future presidential elections where no candidate wins a majority of votes cast on the first ballot.

I respect HEM and Lethen's decision not to hold one in this case, and agree with Mac that a runoff in this instance almost certainly wouldn't change the outcome.

I definitely don't think Swak should've changed the rules by EO once voting had started.
Agree with this 100%
Yep :clap:
me too! :clap:

Runoffs only really matter when a majority of people that voted for C would've voted for B, which wasn't the case, but sometimes is.

McEntire said:
Swakistek said:
I don't think a plurality gives any less of a mandate than a majority.

If you're elected President, you're the President, and you're empowered and called to do whatever you said you would in your platform.
At the end of the day, yes, you're President, but does it help that most of the region wanted someone else to be President? Since the last time CSP was elected President, every President except Sopo has recieved at least 70% of the vote. I hope this is the first in a line of many competitive Presidential elections. But a majority does give you more of a mandate than a simple plurality, and that's why we're going to pass runoffs as the law of the land.
It's not exactly that a majority don't want the winner-by-plurality, just that they have preferred one or other candidate a bit more. Particularly in a case like this, where much of CSP's platform could be said to be moderate and in the centre of the other two candidates' policies, and the vote for those two options was split down the middle anyway, it stands to reason that CSP was probably most people's second choice, at least. Based on these results, a runoff would almost certainly have led to a commanding majority for CSP anyway.

Dec 26 2009: Oliver/HEM vs Carracalla/Falconius 18-15 was very cose
Jul 18 2009: Macronamia/Jaden Eaglepoin vs Pope Lexus X/Lethen vs Asianatic/Anumia 8-11-6 (no run-off)

Yes, but how many registered voters for those elections?

The closeness of this election even with the amount of registered and voting citizens make this election probably one of the closest in Euro's history.

Haha, well, maybe if it went to a run-off it'd be closer :p

But from the elections in history, it would not be one of the closest.

PASD said:
:gentleman: Too bad there isn't a comprehensive list that tracks registered voters every two or more months from 2008 until present, pinned in two separate forums.

Lethen said:
PASD said:
:gentleman: Too bad there isn't a comprehensive list that tracks registered voters every two or more months from 2008 until present, pinned in two separate forums.
That was a rhetorical question to Buzz Killington. :baghead:

Back