The State of the Chief of State

United Vietussia

Allegedly Did Some Stuff
Citizen
Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 10.42.36 PM.png

The State of the Chief of State
With the Senate election period for Chief of State set to begin November 5th, The Arnhelm Review is compiling any and all resources to help you keep up with everything going on in the election, from candidate stances to Senate vote speculation.

Candidate Stance Summary:
(unless otherwise noted, all points are summarized from platforms)

HEM/Pichtonia Platform (H E M / P I C H T O N I A)
JayDee/Darcness Platform (Boldly Go)

• Foreign Affairs
    • HEM/Pichtonia:
      • Grow FA staff, with a focus on recruiting multiple citizens to serve as deputies in an effort to begin "developing the next generation of foreign affairs leaders".
        • Use a more proactive 1-on-1 recruitment method, cites that "not everyone is going to check out the Employment Forum [...] we need to bring that forum to them"
      • Policy of "aggressively opening new embassies with regions"
        • "There are tons of people out there who don’t know us [...] we want to make a good first impression and bring these regions into our orbit."
      • Regular review of current embassies
        • Willing to potentially "devalue one embassy in order to establish another promising one" [1]
      • Maintain a 1:1 ambassador to region ratio
        • Committed to opening new embassies if a situation arises where ambassadors outnumber embassy regions [1]
    • JayDee/Darcness
      • Keep a 1:1 ambassador to region ratio, in an effort to "focus on their assigned region [...] to become subject matter experts".
        • Bi-weekly check-ins on ambassadors in order to keep diplomatic information fresh
        • JayDee and Darcness have expressed a willingness to maintain conversation with regions until an ambassador is found in order to accomplish this
      • Instead of building new interregional relationships, rebuilding our present relationships is a priority, with new relationships coming second in priority.
        • "We need to make sure that our treaties aren't just 'fire-and-forget'"
      • Creation of a group to simulate potential interregional scenarios and crises
        • Leans on private discussion to encourage a more open learning experience
Summary: A key divergence between HEM and JayDee is their opinion on interregional relations. HEM believes that Europeia ought to try to reach out to as many regions as possible, but JayDee believes that Europeia's current relationships should take priority over attempting to establish new relationships. Both also seems committed to trying to rebuild the staff of a Council that has seemingly struggled over the past few terms with maintaining consistent communication with other regions due to understaffing. The opinion on interregional relations is clearly the major difference between the two platforms and will definitely result in different priorities in this area for both tickets. As a side note, JayDee has heavily pushed his "international scenarios" revival in Q&As with citizens as a way to help provide experience to newcomers, while HEM believes the best way to gain experience is in a "hands-on" situation.​

• Navy
    • HEM/Pichtonia
      • Grow the Navy to have "30 active-duty sailors"
      • Update and reform training and reference documents
      • Encourage more strategic missions (i.e. tag raids to stop a resolution from reaching quorum)
    • JayDee/Darcness
      • Attempt to create a new generation of leaders by "putting fresh blood at the helm of the Navy[...] [breaking] from the regular cycle of Grand Admirals [...] pushing for new and more exciting leadership to take control of our Navy and bring a fresh leadership style"
        • Cites that "we must be willing to commit to a future that is both bright and uncertain"
      • Hold a bi-weekly hold operation to incorporate reservists
Summary: HEM has placed an emphasis on riding the current streak that the Navy is on, stating that he wants to "take things to the next level [with the Navy]". He wants to continue to grow numbers and update the Navy resources so that all members have current information to work with. JayDee has focused much more on the incorporation of newer Navy members, even implying that he wants to potentially elevate some to the position of Grand Admiral if elected. What we see is are two differing platforms: a platform focused on improving the now with HEM, and a platform focused on improving the future with JayDee. The question here is whether or not Senators believe that the current Navy structure is working or isn't, and options have been presented for both opinions.​

• Communications/NS Forum Engagement
    • HEM/Pichtonia
      • Rework the Council of NS Forum Engagement with the purpose of creating a Councillor that is "focused 24/7 on keeping our NSGP embassy thread active, having a presence in the NSGP Discord server, and serving as a second pair of eyes and an advisor for all our external-facing statements."
        • Attempting to free up the Councillor of FA to be able to focus on rebuilding the Ambassador corps and prioritizing relationship building
    • JayDee/Darcness
      • Working with internal Comms to create consistent content for release
      • Find new mediums to release Europeian content to foreign regions, especially avenues that don't "only reach our allies and those who are biased towards us"
      • Keeping a strong presence in the global political environment
Summary: Given the infancy of the Council of NS Forum Engagement, both candidates are attempting to rework the ministry in order to keep it separate from FA but also producing consistent content. There is little difference in the policy and plans for this area between the two tickets with what has been presented.​

• World Assembly
    • HEM/Pichtonia
      • Shift to a CoWAA that proactively submits resolutions that support Europeian interests
        • Cited that "too much of our WA policy is reaction-based", gave potential examples of "a General Assembly bill that trumpets Europeian values, or a Security Council resolution that serves our interests or applauds our bloc"
    • JayDee/Darcness
      • Create more interest in the CoWAA by making it more visible through news articles and making the Council's work more transparent
      • Potential integration with Culture to incorporate resolutions into roleplay
        • Extension of first point, seeks to "allow people to interact with the World Assembly in a unique way and gain a better appreciation for the effects of the World Assembly".
      • More proactivity and attempts to stay on top of resolutions that will likely make it through queue
      • When reached for comment, JayDee stated that he would "seek to integrate the WA into the ERN by using the navy strategically to prevent harmful resolutions from getting queued"
Summary: Both tickets want to see more proactivity out of the CoWAA in making Europeia a leader in the field by getting more involved with resolution discussions and trying to push Europeian interests. JayDee elaborated a bit more on his plans in his platform, conceding that World Assembly interest is low and offering ways to generate interest, including through increased visibility and the mention of potentially collaborating with Culture to incorporate some WA resolutions into regional roleplay. In essence, both tickets push the same external platform, but JayDee would like more done at home to foster the work of this ministry.​

[1] - response from Pichto re: A Note on the Council of Foreign Affairs
[2] - Darcness' vote
[3] - JayDee's vote
[4] - OD's vote
[5] - Malashaan's vote

[6] - Lloenflys' vote
[7] - Drecq's vote
[8] - Calvin's vote
[9] - Rand's vote
[10] - Astrellan's vote

Senator Votes:

Drecq - HEM/PICHTONIA [7]
Astrellan - HEM/PICHTONIA [10]
Calvin Coolidge - HEM/PICHTONIA [8]
Darcness - ABSTAIN [2]
JayDee - ABSTAIN [3]
Lloenflys - HEM/PICHTONIA [6]
Rand - JAYDEE/DARCNESS [9]
Malashaan - HEM/PICHTONIA [5]
Olde Delaware - JAYDEE/DARCNESS [4]

TALLY: 5 - HEM/Pichtonia, 2 - JayDee/Darcness, 2 - Abstain, 0 - Uncommitted
TAR Projection: 5 - HEM/Pichtonia, 2 - JayDee/Darcness, 2 - Abstain, 0 - Uncertain

Notable Endorsements

HEM/Pichtonia
  • Chief of State Prim
  • WA Delegate and Justice Aexnidaral
  • Former President Sopo
  • Europeian Cosmopolitan Party
JayDee/Darcness​
  • Former Chief of State Kuramia
  • Vice Chancellor Deepest House

This post will be amended as the election goes on, so check in periodically for potential changes to Senate commitments and developments in proposed policies by both tickets. We hope that this can be a resource that helps you better understand the state of this election and the candidates that are in it. If you have any further comments or questions, leave them here or DM @United Vietussia#9873 on Discord.

Last edited:
This is such a good picture of what's going on. I especially like that you reached out and presumed the votes from Senators, since that's where all eyes will be!

This was a really cool write-up! I love the Senator vote projections too

I have to make a comment here, not that I'm surprised I'd need to make it in the end. For the record, in my head, I split up my roles. Right now there's me on the Executive and also myself on the Legislative. I have never felt pressured to agree with one side on the Senate because I've been Pichto's DFM; in fact, we actually had a run-in when it comes to formalising Executive Oversight procedures. I am also probably currently in disagreement with him on Manual Recruitment, though I am as so far uncommitted on that front. We are obviously good friends but I don't allow my Executive responsibility to leak into my Legislative viewpoint.

I wasn't elected a Senator to be the Executive's mouthpiece. Pichto didn't choose me as DFM so he could use my Senate vote. So, in this CoS election, there's no pressure for me to choose HEM/Pichtonia over JayDee/Darcness. While I have had the luxury of working closely with Pichto, and thus got to know him better, I have not had the same luxury with HEM. I have also worked under Darcness and with JayDee on the Senate. I don't have a "lean" when it comes to this.

I consider it my obligation to deeply scrutinise both tickets - which I am doing and I still intend to do.

Not trying to attack your prediction; it's a fair one under the circumstances. I just felt I needed to make my position clear. And your predictions are incredibly interesting, to say the least :p

While I respect the person’s anonymity, if anyone (including the person in question) has any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’m always happy to speak with people about my platform and alleviate any concerns people may have.

I will admit I don’t have quite the grasp HEM does for the ERN, but I also had zero grasp of Interior or the World Assembly when I took office and things worked out fine. I learn quickly and I always know where my weaknesses are.

Furthermore, Darcness is a Commodore in the ERN (last I checked) so he will be a big help in helping us enforce our policy for the ERN and making sure operations are running smoothly.

Edit: On another note. Thank you for putting the effort in for this, UV. This is a very well done article and it's nice to see the break down.

Last edited:
I have to make a comment here, not that I'm surprised I'd need to make it in the end. For the record, in my head, I split up my roles. Right now there's me on the Executive and also myself on the Legislative. I have never felt pressured to agree with one side on the Senate because I've been Pichto's DFM; in fact, we actually had a run-in when it comes to formalising Executive Oversight procedures. I am also probably currently in disagreement with him on Manual Recruitment, though I am as so far uncommitted on that front. We are obviously good friends but I don't allow my Executive responsibility to leak into my Legislative viewpoint.

I wasn't elected a Senator to be the Executive's mouthpiece. Pichto didn't choose me as DFM so he could use my Senate vote. So, in this CoS election, there's no pressure for me to choose HEM/Pichtonia over JayDee/Darcness. While I have had the luxury of working closely with Pichto, and thus got to know him better, I have not had the same luxury with HEM. I have also worked under Darcness and with JayDee on the Senate. I don't have a "lean" when it comes to this.

I consider it my obligation to deeply scrutinise both tickets - which I am doing and I still intend to do.

Not trying to attack your prediction; it's a fair one under the circumstances. I just felt I needed to make my position clear. And your predictions are incredibly interesting, to say the least :p

I don't doubt that you'll be fair when making your final choice, these predictions are incredibly speculatory at best.

Aside from that, thank you all for the kind words. I hope that it's a valuable resource for Senators to glance at and get a basis for their questions and assist in their final vote.

This is great! Thanks for putting this together and taking the time to reach out to me to confirm our stances on these issues.

On the eve of the election period beginning, there's been some endorsements that have come out and a change or two to our Senate ratings. Feel free to take a look. We're also in the process of recombing Q&A threads to look for any new platform points to add. If there are any found, we will update that as soon as possible.

Update: After Malashaan's vote, TAR projects that HEM needs two more non-JayDee votes (either an abstention or vote for HEM) to secure the election for Chief of State. The officially tally still remains tied 1-1, with 2 abstentions.

BREAKING: The Arnhelm Review expects another vote to come from one of the remaining five Senators within the hour.

Back