The Power Behind the Upvote Squad

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
On October 7, 2014 during my first term as Minister of Communications, I posted a brief announcement in the EuroComm Dispatch Hub announcing the formation of an official "Upvote Squad" to promote Europeian dispatches. Since that time, the Upvote Squad has grown in size and scale to become a fixture in the Ministry of Communications and the Europeian government.

Currently, the Upvote Squad sits at roughly twenty-five members, which is about a quarter of our citizenry. Our dispatches are consistently at the top of the NationStates dispatch page on the day of their release, if not the days after. The goal of this Squad, beyond simply upvoting our own dispatches was to ensure that the messages we promote get the best possible coverage. This means that in the past we have upvoted not only the official dispatches from Europeia Dispatch Office, but from the WA nations, or even the newspaper of The North Pacific. We'll even downvote dispatches that go against our strategic interest, if we are attacked by The Rejected Times, or we know a region has been downvoting our dispatches, we might respond accordingly.

At times, we even dive into real life issues, as Europeia is a region that strives to help its citizens in many ways be it through mental health awareness/resources, rebuking Nazis, or the promotion of LGBT+ issues. Europeia is touched by these issues, in one way or another, so providing relevant information on all of these topics to our citizens is a reasonable extension of our Squad's mission.

Tonight, however, something unprecedented was asked of the Squad. A dispatch laying out the case against abortion in relation to an upcoming vote on the Irish Constitution's 8th Amendment was in the crossfire. The nation that posted it resided in a region named "Right to Life", and seemed to be created simply for the purpose of taking a political stance on this issue. This dispatch did not really fit the mold of the typical dispatch targeted by the Squad, then, because it did not provide resources to anyone who might be dealing with the issue, and downvoting it would not hide something that the region has dedicated resources to fighting, like Nazism.

After protests in Discord's eurochat, Minister of Communications Kuramia reversed the decision and released a statement saying in part, "after consultation with the President, we will not be taking a stance on this issue in an official manner".

And that's really what the Upvote Squad is all about: taking a stance to promote a message. The message is usually clear, "Help spread Europeia's message", while sometimes it's a little more nuanced like, "People will benefit from reading this" or "This message should not be tolerated, so we will do what we can to suppress it". Abortion, regardless of which side of the issue you suppport, is an issue that has supporters on both sides in the region, and both sides are tolerated here. By throwing support behind one side, it tells the other that they are not welcome here, and this is a power we should not use carelessly.

Our region is better off without people who support Nazis, or don't support the rights of LGBT+ to live their lives. People who are against abortion, however? That's a political view within the norm, and as a political region we have to be willing to encourage debate, or we're all worse off. Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, looking forward to the debate.

Do we forget the part where a certain individual tried to commandeer the upvote squad for their own purposes then snap in ruthless fashion when called on it?

I agree, Calvin. Good article.

Great article in quite the timely fashion.

Obviously, I am pleased that the ministry reversed this decision.

Vac said:
Do we forget the part where a certain individual tried to commandeer the upvote squad for their own purposes then snap in ruthless fashion when called on it?
That's what I thought this article would delve into. I suppose not.

Edit: where is the statement Kuramia released?

I didn't address an individual co-opting the Squad for their own purposes because that's clearly wrong, and not an official action with long-lasting consequences. What the Squad actually endorses has more meaning, to me, so I discussed that instead. Kuramia made her statement in the executive updates channel, Lethen.

Figured as much. God forbid a statement is also released on the forums :p

Lethen said:
You're irritation is well placed. The discord post will disappear and so will accountability.

hyanygo said:
Lethen said:
You're irritation is well placed. The discord post will disappear and so will accountability.
Last I heard the admins are considering making using stuff like the upvote squad ping without authorization against the rules

Vac said:
hyanygo said:
Lethen said:
Last I heard the admins are considering making using stuff like the upvote squad ping without authorization against the rules
Given that it for some reason isn't disabled like other role pings, it would be a good idea to make who can ping it restricted rather than bringing in rules regarding it's use. if it is restricted the rules would not be needed.

Kari said:
Vac said:
hyanygo said:
Lethen said:
Given that it for some reason isn't disabled like other role pings, it would be a good idea to make who can ping it restricted rather than bringing in rules regarding it's use. if it is restricted the rules would not be needed.
Setting aside whether that's possible (I recall an admin saying that it may not be possible to restrict the role ping, but I have no insight on that, so I won't discuss it further), shouldn't individuals take some responsibility to not use an official branch of the government for their own purposes without restrictions being put in place? I'd hope that our citizenry has more self-control than that.

I do not believe you can disable that roles ping use by everyone like you can for the @everyone ping.

Vac said:
I do not believe you can disable that roles ping use by everyone like you can for the @everyone ping.

You can disable it for any role group.

Tbh this entire discussion just reminds me of the old "X posted in the senate without permission" incidents, the forum maskings were changed to stop it from happening, no more problem.

Calvin Coolidge said:
Kari said:
Vac said:
hyanygo said:
Lethen said:
Setting aside whether that's possible (I recall an admin saying that it may not be possible to restrict the role ping, but I have no insight on that, so I won't discuss it further), shouldn't individuals take some responsibility to not use an official branch of the government for their own purposes without restrictions being put in place? I'd hope that our citizenry has more self-control than that.
So unless the admins are prepared to make a special group for one deputy minister to utilize the upvote squad, it isn't going to happen. Like I requested before having you act like a school kid having a temper tantrum, just have self control.

Done with this thread now.

Vac said:
hyanygo said:
Lethen said:
Last I heard, that's not what Hy and I had shifted to speaking about. :p

Kari said:
Vac said:

Tbh this entire discussion just reminds me of the old "X posted in the senate without permission" incidents, the forum maskings were changed to stop it from happening, no more problem.
It's all or nothing. You can't disable it role by role, only for everyone.

For as much as I love Discord, I still find fault with the channel CP. The role hierarchy is especially annoying. For example, when someone has the "manage roles" masking on a certain role, but they can manage roles above that certain role because they have another higher award. For example, when the discord hierarchy was senate, justice, cabinet, someone with cabinet role could remove their justice masking if they had a senate masking. Not only that, but you can remove the role that allows you to remove that role. It's stupid.

Sopo said:
Kari said:
Vac said:

It's all or nothing. You can't disable it role by role, only for everyone.
This is correct. Because Discord is garbage, we can't limit pings of the upvote squad to certain groups. We could set it up so the ministry of communication has to get the admins to turn on the pingability of the role when they want to use it, but that would be a giant hassle and significantly reduce the speed with which we could get messages out (which is a significant consideration for the upvote squad).

I much prefer a rule-based approach. We should as a region be capable of being adults and not abusing the many limitationsof discord.

Back