Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his

Opinion - "The Political Sweetspot"
HEM
Publisher

As we begin yet another discussion on Europeia's political atmosphere, I have prepared a curated gallery of posts from late 2009 and early 2010:

It would incorrect to suggest that our hyper-political past was without it's failing, and it would be foolish to suggest that we should aim to return to it.

Europeia's best moments were not in late 2009 or early 2010, when the region was tearing itself apart and on the brink of schism. Europeia's best moments where not in 2011 when we had not one, but two, actual schisms that lead to the mass-departure of some of our greatest minds, names that are still etched on our walls.

Rather, Europeia's greatest moments were when we had nobly-minded patriots willing to stand up to establishment and spark a real debate. When Oliver Grey challenged Anumia for the presidency in 2010. When independent media outlets challenged so-called infallible administrations. When the City Council rallied support against a singled-minded Senate. When, without malice or vendetta, our citizenry dared to reach for more and challenge the notion of "okay" being the new "awesome."

With the rise of EuroChat and other ways to communicate off forum, we have seen the virtual elimination of political contest and competition. Friendships have become tighter, but more brittle, and so political rebuke of a friend politically is almost taboo. We don't stand up to each other, we don't speak out, and when we do we are seen as two-faced, or hypocritical, or overtly toxic.

There is a sweet spot in our politics between 2010 and today. I'm just not quite sure how to find it.

The issue is, in my mind, the fear of failing. It is easier and it is safer to promise to support a Presidential run with the understanding that a future run will be supported by that individual. The vice presidential role seems to have served as a peace offering two elections in a row.

The best lesson in "it is OK to fail" should come from Europeian history. Europeian titans include swak who ran many times before winning. CSP who was vonc'd during his first presidency. Skizzy who told a foreign ambassador to f--- himself in his platform thread and subsequently flamed out of the election. Those people had hunger to make Europeia great. When you hand off the presidency like a baton, the hunger dies and is replaced with complacency. There is competition but it would rather wait it's turn. Waiting your turn makes this region worse.

I don't think people are necessarily afraid of simply loosing an election, I think they are more afraid of loosing the political prestige that has been built up through all their previous work by disrupting the commonly accepted order.

Every election people are encouraged to be bold but the people that do never win.

PhDre said:
The issue is, in my mind, the fear of failing. It is easier and it is safer to promise to support a Presidential run with the understanding that a future run will be supported by that individual. The vice presidential role seems to have served as a peace offering two elections in a row.

The best lesson in "it is OK to fail" should come from Europeian history. Europeian titans include swak who ran many times before winning. CSP who was vonc'd during his first presidency. Skizzy who told a foreign ambassador to f--- himself in his platform thread and subsequently flamed out of the election. Those people had hunger to make Europeia great. When you hand off the presidency like a baton, the hunger dies and is replaced with complacency. There is competition but it would rather wait it's turn. Waiting your turn makes this region worse.
I find this post to be very interesting. As a newer member, I can attest I don't feel the urge to be bold or throw myself into tough competition against Europeian titans. It feels comfortable to remain in a zone that provides me with certain normality and the glorified safety of just accepting the establishment.

Perhaps it's just how I am, perhaps it's a natural phenomenon for a region as big and politically structured as ours; I don't know. I'm just sharing my experience.

I don't think right now it's a fear of losing, but rather a fear of upsetting the political majority. This is not to say it's rational.

Back