The Open Cabinet

Introduction
Modern Sin

Greetings once again, citizens of Europeia!

Another two weeks (-ish :p) have passed us by, which means that we’re about halfway through the current Presidential term. Before he was even elected, President Falconias published an outline of his goals and expectations for the sixty long days ahead of him, as well as a list of the Cabinet he was going to assemble for his administration. Now, sitting at the halfway mark of his tenure, the citizenry of Europeia collectively looks back at where we were when Falconias settled into the Goldenblock, and where we are now.

The original list of Cabinet members has changed drastically since the last issue of The Open Cabinet—Ministers have left their posts for various uncontrollable reasons, and others have stepped up to fill the gaps. We have a new Minister of Interior, a new Minister of Culture, and our first MoI is now the Grand Admiral. Only two original Cabinet members remain (and, ironically, one is on an extended LoA at the time of this writing), yet the region has seen growth and development in each department despite the turbulence of the Executive at this time.

Let’s take a look back, Europeia, at where we have come thus far, and then let us turn our gazes forward to the thirty-odd days we have to accomplish all that has been promised.

Ministry of Interior
karthikking, with Modern Sin

Well, sadly many nations in NationStates have been leaving for various reasons. However, Europeia has been doing a marvelous job staying strong in these tough times. Europeia is still one of the larger user-created regions and the Interior Ministry has transitioned to the manual system quite well.

There are many plans that are about to be undertaken and many that are going on right now. The Recruiter of the Week contest has been brought back and a new recruiting contest will begin very soon. I expect that these incentives will improve the effort put into recruiting by members of Europeia. My goal for the next two weeks is to finally surpass Europe, after them being just on top of us for a long time. When I joined we were just above Europe in terms of population, and I plan on putting us back on top yet again. I expect that the new incentives shall encourage recruiters to assist me to meet this goal.

I would also like to thank Aramor for doing all the recruitment numbers for me. I know that it is a painful ordeal, but it is necessary to the success of the region.

Karth, MoI

Europeian Republican Navy
Swakistek, with Eklypso

The Navy has undergone some changes in the past two weeks, largely sparked by the resignation of Rougiers as Grand Admiral, which shook up the Cabinet quite significantly. This regrettable departure affected President Falconias' plans quite significantly, which were catered to Rougiers as Grand Admiral.

Rougiers took the reins with confidence and delivered totally unexpected results. The President wanted five successful raids this term; he got four in two weeks. For overall excellence in his role as Grand Admiral, although sadly cut short, I think that Rougiers deserves the thanks of Falconias, the Cabinet and of Europeia.

Although the Navy has gone from being one of the most successful areas of this administration to being less so in recent days, due to these unforeseen circumstances, Falconias has long been known as a naval expert, and I am sure that this department will reach even greater heights with our new Grand Admiral, the former MoI, Eklypso.

The Naval Academy has been delayed for quite some time, and the course has been extended to run for the remainder of the term, as the President is working with Grand Admiral Eklypso to set the Navy on track for the future.

NOT a Recruiting Technique

Foreign Affairs
Swakistek, with Common-Sense Politics and Modern Sin

Much of the recent work in the Department of Foreign Affairs has taken place in private areas, and therefore, I will be attempting to inform the public of recent occurrences in this area. Despite a delayed Foreign Update, this department has largely been as planned, and is looking good for the future.

The new format for the Foreign Updates has been greatly successful, with good receptions from many of our foreign allies, and credit goes to Minister Common-Sense Politics for this overhaul. The significance values have been assigned to embassies by the Minister, in consultation with the President, but have been kept secret for security reasons. I am pleased to announce, however, that this project has been quite successful and is working well.

A slew of new ambassadors has been added to the ranks, and last week they were put to work immediately, distributing fliers about the NS Celebrity Week that took place on Friday. Several foreign dignitaries showed up to greet Kandarin and ask him questions; overall the event, which is still ongoing, was considered a success, in part due to the work of the ambassadors in spreading the word to our allies.

Ministry of Culture
Fortana, with Modern Sin

Greetings, readers:

I am your new MoC for the remainder of this term. Since my appointment on Wednesday I have still been getting to grips with the whole system, but I feel I have fit in very well. My predecessor, Demataria, has been one of the greatest Culture Ministers Europeia has ever had and I shall find it extremely hard to fill in his shoes and stand on the shoulders of this particular giant. Demataria has been responsible for the hosting of Todd McCloud, which has been very informative for most citizens, including myself. During my tenure thus far, myself and Minister CSP have hosted Kandarin of The Rejected Realms, who gave a fine talk on all things RR. On a different note I'd like to explain the St. Patrick's Day event. Unfortunately, my plans went out the window as I had lost Internet Tuesday evening and only got it back Friday or so. I claim full responsibility for the failure here and assure the public no such event will occur again, as I have since prepared better for such events.

Currently I am working on running more caption contests and organizing more debates in the Debate Hall on intelligent serious issues, and maybe even getting a team event going or if enough go for it a team debate tournament. I believe this will encourage more activity and coax new members to see such an active forum.

My plans for the future are to organize a 'Talent Showcase'; I have already spoken to numerous members about presenting talent. I hope to have it done sometime during the first week after Easter, or the second at the latest. More info can be given about this by PM'ing me. Another plan is also to organize an Easter event that will have a religious Christian side and of course the commercialized Easter most of us know. Another plan in the pipes is to run a volunteer section—more info on this soon, as it's only in its rough stages.

I would like to commend my JM Modern Sin as he is writing a mammoth history document that will turn heads in the near future. I would also like to commend Jusduckria who is doing a fantastic job on running the Europeian Observer. All in all, the Culture Ministry is keeping itself busy, and I believe a JM position is open if you want to join in and keep Europeia on its toes.

Thank you all,
Fortana, MoC

Conclusion
Modern Sin

So concludes another issue of The Open Cabinet. I never thought I’d have to write another one of these after last term, but I’m glad to once again have the opportunity to talk with the Ministers about what they’ve accomplished this term, and what they expect to do in the future.

A number of setbacks, unexpected and brutally frequent, have noticeably impacted the progress of the current administration. However, Europeia has survived much worse, and has overcome seemingly impenetrable obstacles many times before. As a region, we must cohere—and support our elected officials as they work tirelessly to improve Europeia, whether through recruitment, defense, culture, relations abroad, or leadership at home.

Most Europeians will agree that the first half of the current term has been one of the most interesting in recent history. Everything that can go wrong seemingly has in the last thirty days, and strange, malevolent forces appear to be at work in the region. On April 1, what many of you recognize as April Fools’ Day, an entire calendar-square devoted to the darkly humorous and the painfully comical, the Falconias administration has a few tricks up its sleeve, so make sure you check out the foums on Thursday. We can only hope that the events of April Fools' Day are the strangest and most confusing to come for the Falconias administration. After that the seriousness returns, and the second half of Falc’s term begins. There is still much to be done, and I fully expect the next issue of The Open Cabinet to overflow with reports of progress, advancement, and general awesomeness that Falconias and his team are capable of producing.

’Til next time,

Modern Sin
Acting Chief of Staff

Uh, you got the date wrong in the last paragraph :p

...but as a matter of greater concern, this Government publication of the -Open- Cabinet was pleased not to mention the large drop in population, instead giving us a mere:

Europeia is still one of the larger user-created regions and the Interior Ministry has transitioned to the manual system quite well.

Not to mention how the military mistake wasn't mentioned; instead:

Falconias has long been known as a naval expert

Not quite as open as I might have liked...

Uh, you got the date wrong in the last paragraph :p

...but as a matter of greater concern, this Government publication of the -Open- Cabinet was pleased not to mention the large drop in population, instead giving us a mere:

Europeia is still one of the larger user-created regions and the Interior Ministry has transitioned to the manual system quite well.

Not to mention how the military mistake wasn't mentioned; instead:

Falconias has long been known as a naval expert

Not quite as open as I might have liked...
Blame the Swakistek. :ph43r:

And I was originally going to post this on the 1st, but decided not to when everyone turned in their updates on time (for once)....Edited, regardless.

Ah, I thought the rumour-mill had infected the government paper for a bit :p
or that they were on to me.. *hides*

This is a good way of keeping the population informed.

I do have a question for the FA Minister. Does he intend to revive my old system of Diplomatic Ranks?

Back