Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
Him / He
conversation.png

SEPTEMBER 16, 2021
AUTHOR: PICHTONIA

The Conversation Cloud: Presidential Platforms

What moves our region in this Presidential election? What's shaping our conversation? For the Conversation Cloud, I fed a word cloud generator all four Presidential platforms (including the one of Calvin Coolidge/HEM, because while they might have withdrawn as a ticket, their run did feed our regional conversation) as well as any comments that were made below them. Below you will find the result, uncommentated.

1631781870699.png

Last edited:
This is very cool, although I think it would be more useful if we were to take out words that are too generic (i.e. most of the biggest words). Though that would raise the question of which words are generic - "region" can be seen as generic but it's likely this big because of how much the platforms are discussing Frontier/Stronghold regions.

This is very cool, although I think it would be more useful if we were to take out words that are too generic (i.e. most of the biggest words). Though that would raise the question of which words are generic - "region" can be seen as generic but it's likely this big because of how much the platforms are discussing Frontier/Stronghold regions.

You're right -- I did edit out a few that I thought were even more generic ("like", "one", "just") but then eventually gave up, because I did this at work and was already spending a bit too much time on it haha!

If I did this again, I would certainly take some more time to remove a few more generics and/or double words (Foreign & foreign), and also to not only do one big one, but three individual ones for the standing tickets, too. I think it'd be interesting to see whether and how that'd change things.

Maybe I'll give that a shot later this evening.

Back