The 50th Senate

The 50th Senate
Polling Analysis and Results

You can view and discuss the results of the poll on the 50th Senate here: Senate Poll

Non-citizens, or those unwilling to click a separate link can read the poll behind the spoiler tags below.

We present to you the polling results on the 50th Senate of Europeia, and the analysis completed by the team from the Ministry of Communications which included: Calvin Coolidge, Kuramia, Malashaan, and WritingLegend.

Rylian and Calvin Coolidge processed all the data points.

All Ministry analysis is written in italicized blue text.

Did you vote in the last Senate election?

Yes: 14
No: 3
Unable to Vote: 1

With a vast majority of our respondents having voted in the last Senate election, we can be reasonably sure that this poll’s responses come from potential voters in the upcoming election, making them worthy of consideration.

What rating would you give the Senate this term

Average Rating: 5.3
Median: 6
Mode: 7
Min: 1
Max: 8

The Senate's rating has continued to slide, with this term’s rating being the lowest since this format of polling began in November 2014. A lack of activity and procedural errors were a consistent theme in the comments. It is worth noting, however, that the mode has remained steady, suggesting a significant proportion of Europeians, while not excited by the Senate, are content with the status quo.

What comments do you have about our Senate this term?

"This Senate obviously didn't understand that we had the PPA and continuously rushed legislation and didn't discuss, which lead to very poor results."

"I would love to see a more positive attitude. I saw some comments that appeared extremely negative, as if the Senators didn't believe their work had much meaning. It made me sad. I'd also love to see less drama. Perhaps Senators could, on both sides, work on how they communicate with each other, keeping in mind that text can be interpreted as having a tone by others. I did like the meaningful discussions when it happened, but sometimes I did not see it happening. When a piece of legislation is before the Senate, it might help others reading it to know how it might be considered poorly written. Some of the Senate seems too eager to dismiss ideas out of hand."

"It seemed like only half of the Senate wanted to make any sort of commitment to participating and being active."

"Not much activity. Too many procedural errors and lazy drafting."

"This Senate is generally willing to have a wider range of discussions which is good for activity. It does put us at a risk of doing things just to do them which ultimately will be to our detriment."

"As we have seen in the Convention, the Senate has done a poor job of working with the CA, which is arguably Europeia's pool of potential future Senators."

"Activity and debate was held up by Brunhilde, Rylian, and Drecq. All other Senators took a back seat to most discussions."

What rating would you give them on the Constitutional Convention?

Average Rating: 4.89
Median: 5
Max: 10

The region seems unimpressed with the Constitutional Convention. While one respondent did score it 10/10, that only goes to highlight how poor the average of 4.89 is. The comments suggest there is general approval of the concept of the Convention, but that it failed due to a lack of leadership and/or tangible results.

Do you have any comments on the work that's been done on the Constitutional Convention thus far?

"The Constitutional Convention is a great idea and although sweeping reforms are not necessary, I think it is a great idea."

"A waste of time, especially given the general lack of Senate activity. The few worthwhile ideas discussed could have been easily considered without a convention."

"Recently, there has been no discussion at the Convention, and perhaps it should be ended. Any drafted legislation from the Convention should move on to the CA."

"It didn't seem like many were stepping up to the plate to actually draft bills based on ideas. Some of the ideas were dismissed out of hand, without seeing what a bill might look like (and I imagine some Senators would consider it a waste of time to draft a bill considering some of their commentary in other threads) rather than just going silent for so long the discussion is ended. There was so much negativity I gagged on the thick cloud of it. I loved all the ideas and the energy that came with the ideas. I didn't like how some of the ideas were vague. It seemed like they'd heard it sometime from someone and no one knew where the idea had originated from. I didn't feel like there was a good leader in the discussions."

"Nothing has been actually finished and done yet so I think that a judgement should be made in the opposite perspective."

"It seems to be that the only workable idea to come out of the convention has been the bicameral legislature and even that has fizzle out into an inactive discussion."

"This Convention had so much potential when it started, but it petered off almost instantly, and frankly, pretty much all of these ideas had already been discussed by the CA or Senate recently, so I don't know what was really gained by having it."

"Europeia has the most technically impressive and comprehensive body of law in the game. Let's not reinvent the wheel for the fuck of it. That doesn't mean I'm not open to good ideas, just not afraid to say we're not moving forward with anything but a good idea."

What rating would you give Speaker HEM?

Average Rating: 5.39
Median: 5
Mode: 6
Min: 2

HEM received mostly low scores, with the comments highlighting the lack of management in the Senate overall. This suggests the low ratings reflect more on his Speakership than his legislative contributions. Given HEM’s recent comments acknowledging the mistakes made this term, it would be interesting to see how the region’s view of his term has changed over the last few days.

Do you have any comments on HEM's term?

"The Senate needed much more management."

"I don't feel he has provided the organized leader we need."

"There were more than a couple times where it was unclear what was being voted on. There were arguments and some comments that were a bit rude, just unnecessary bickering. I saw a lot of people asking for HEM to move on with things. That might be impatient Senators though, I'm not sure. Seems like there were some procedural mistakes made. He has a great attitude! He never let drama or negativity slow him down. He didn't beat himself up over his mistakes, admitting them and moving forward. He could do well once he has the procedures of the Senate cemented in his mind."

"Technical issues everywhere."

"Lots of ideas, but no follow through."

"HEM pushed the convention through the Senator. Aside from that, he has been seemingly lazy and unable to keep the Senate's debates moving."

"HEM was right at the start of this term: when he's Speaker, the Senate is a hot mess. He should've just let Kraken stay on as Speaker, and I think the region would've been better off."

"Active, irreverent, sometimes a tad oblivious. He's sexy though."

What rating would you give Senator Brunhilde?

Average Rating: 6.05
Median: 7
Max: 9

In a poorly rated Senate, an average rating slightly above 6 is a reasonable score. Brunhilde was praised for her activity level, with criticism focusing on a tendency to rush legislation through rather than discuss concerns and compromises.

Do you have any comments on Brunhilde's term?

"Tended to rush legislation, but at least she tried to get things done."

"Brunhilde has easily been the most active and engaged Senator out of the bunch with three legislative proposals and aggressive arguments for each. While she struggled with her bill format, I don't believe that detracts from what she has tried to do."

"Brunhilde is a very strong minded Senator."

"I have the feeling Brunhilde was rushing a lot of things this term. While she did a lot in terms of legislation, she did very little in terms of good discussion of it, which results in my poor rating of her term."

"Brunhilde has been a vocal and determined advocate for her policies. She is an enthusiastic and mostly effective communicator. I often disagree with her but her ability and spirit belongs in the Senate."

"Lots of good ideas and a great work ethic. In fact, her positivity for what the Senate can be and do is something all Senators should strive for. I have seen her be a bit sensitive about critiques given, though they are sometimes given harshly. I have also seen her become a bit bullheaded, almost as if she is unwilling to take on the advice of anyone, even if they do have a good point."

"She's proposing a lot of legislation, which is good, but she gets too defensive about her own ideas, and doesn't seem willing to compromise, leading to several different versions of her failed proposals that are pretty much cluttering the Senate, and dominating the scene for months on end. Also, her Deputy Speaker title isn't really being used much when HEM isn't around, which seems odd, and counter-intuitive."

"Presented a lot of this term's legislature. Needs to work on format though."

What rating would you give Senator Drecq?

Average Rating: 6.33
Median: 7

This is Drecq’s lowest polling as a Senator. He was likely dragged down by the Senate’s overall rating. The comments also suggest that some felt his style was a little too negative this term, although he was praised for his activity.

Do you have any comments on Drecq's term?

"Drecq is a great legislator but seemed burned out."

"Drecq dissapointed me at times, but also showed me why I voted for him at others."

"Probably the next most visible Senator after Brun. Maybe could've been more helpful?"

"I can understand why Rylian and Brunhilde viewed Drecq as a bit of an obstructionist. Nevertheless, he is the only veteran to have given a halfway decent go at the Senate."

"A little negative, I can't really tell if he is willing to go above and beyond to serve the region or if he thinks it's all a waste of his time. He knows the procedures and laws of the region, though, and has a lot of experience under his belt. While he's upfront and honest, his opinions can be a bit brutal at times. Insult can easily be gotten from his words. I enjoy how seriously he can tackle ideas and discussion. He does explain things quite thoroughly."

"As is the case pretty much every term, Drecq has been the best. He keeps HEM and Brunhilde in line when they rush through basic procedure after weeks of waiting around for nothing, and he also provides great commentary and advice."

"He could afford to be a tad less prickly but let's be real, Drecq -IS- the Senate and for good reason."

What rating would you give Senator Kraketopia?

Average Rating: 5.94
Median: 6
Mode: 4 and 8

Kraketopia also posted his lowest rating as a Senator, with the driving factor seeming to be a lack of involvement. He was praised for his knowledge and ability, but that doesn’t seem to have been enough to overcome his failure to meet the people’s expectations regarding activity.

Do you have any comments on Kraketopia's term?

"Kraken's new job reflected on how much time he had to give to the Senate. Wasn't his best term, by any means, as I feel he was stretched too thin."

"Not terribly active as a Senator, but when he is around he takes his job seriously and becomes a sort of "Drecq Lite", not as insightful as Drecq, but he knows when HEM and Brunhilde aren't doing their job and tries to hold them accountable."

"The squid has come a long way from his earlier Senate terms. His posts have a great deal more substance. He could afford to lead more."

"Kraken seemed to not have enough time for the job."

"What I have seen of Kraken has been mostly asking for votes, asking for tabling, and, in general, asking for the Speaker to do things. I'm not sure if it's because he's slightly impatient, or because he knows the rules so well. It comes off as slightly impatient however."

"One of the more absent senators."

What rating would you give Senator Rylian?

Average Rating: 6.67 (Highest)
Median: 6.5
Mode: 8
Min: 4

Although Rylian’s average is not historically high, it’s the highest in this Senate. The comments are overwhelmingly positive, particularly with regard to his willingness to learn and take critique, suggesting his score was dragged down by the general displeasure with the Senate.

Do you have any comments on Rylian's term?

"Great term for a newcomer."

"Rylian has definitely proved himself as a Senator here."

"Rylian has been average, but yet the best Senator thus far."

"I look forward to seeing Rylian be a Senator again in the future."

"He's enthusiastic and apparently bright. Not positive he's always sure of what he's on about yet but I'm hopeful he'll get there. Deserves serious consideration for reelection barring an all-star field."

"Too little time, maybe could've done more?"

"It's a little soon to pass judgment, so I'm not giving him a terrible rating, and frankly, I'm not sure what to make of him. He's definitely willing to learn, as shown by his request for Mal and Drecq's legal advice on wording, but he also seems fine letting things get rushed for no good reason. I think he'd do better in a better Senate, though, so I'm not blaming him."

"As a newcomer, Rylian has taken leaps and bounds to keep the conversation civil, take comments and criticism in the true spirit that they're meant to be given in, and give comments and criticism in a fair way. He also is one of the first to jump in and do something. While a lot of Senators seem to shuffle their feet when it's time for action, I've witnessed Rylian taking steps to ensure that a bill is drawn up."

"I barely noticed his presence. He should get involved more."

What rating would you give Senator Shadowlurker?

Average Rating: 4.94 (Lowest)
Median: 4.5
Mode: 2 and 4

Shadowlurker received the lowest score of the Senators, with the comments uniformly noting his lack of activity. Should he decide to run again, he will have an uphill battle convincing voters that he will contribute more next term.

Do you have any comments on Shadowlurker's term?

"Is he even still a Senator? His substantial contributions were exceedingly rare."

"The most inactive of all of the Senators, Shadowlurker probably held back the Senate."

"Was Shadowlurker even a Senator? I couldn't tell at times. :p "

"Oh yeah, he's in this Senate, too. He needs to speak up more, and not just agree with whoever spoke last. He contributes nothing to this Senate and I'd love to see him out of the Senate next term."

"Along with Kraken, seemed to be more absent."

"He'll turn up enough to assure us he's alive but if he's bringing anything to the table, I have no idea what it is. Zero shot of getting my vote in the next go-round."

"I barely noticed his presence. He should get involved more."

"I really don't have much to comment on Shadowlurker. He feels like he's living up to his name (lurker). I've seen him vote, but I don't feel like I get a sense of his personality from his comments. I don't even honestly remember his commentary."

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Brunhilde? (Scale: 0-5)

Average Rating: 3
Median: 3
Mode: 5
Max: 5

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Drecq? (Scale: 0-5)

Average Rating: 3.89 (Tied for Highest)
Median: 4

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect HEM? (Scale: 0-5)

Average Rating: 3
Median: 3
Mode: 3

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Kraketopia? (Scale: 0-5)

Average Rating: 3.39
Median: 3.5
Mode: 3 and 4

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Rylian? (Scale: 0-5)

Average Rating: 3.89 (Tied for Highest)
Median: 4

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Shadowlurker? (Scale: 0-5)

Average Rating: 2.22 (Lowest)
Median: 2
Mode: 2
Min: 0

Looking at the electability ratings for the Senators, it appears that Drecq and Rylian have the best chance of being reelected, while Shadowlurker has the lowest. It’s worth noting that no Senator scored above a 4 in this scale, after averaging, meaning that no Senator should expect an easy return to the Senate next term.

Are you planning on running for Senate in this upcoming election?
Yes: 1
No: 11
Unsure: 6

Despite widespread criticism for the Senate, it seems that the voters are either unwilling or unable to try and tackle the position themselves, which might prove troubling if there aren’t enough candidates to fill up a Senate already troubled by inactivity.

What do you consider when deciding which Senatorial candidates to vote for?

"I want an intelligent platform. I want to see thought brought forward. What I look for most is someone posting the problems and then the solutions to those problems. I want to see a positive slant to tackling those problems. I want to feel as if the candidate believes in the region and in themselves. I don't mind seeing a bit of arrogance, a bit of 'I know I can get the job done', but I also want to see them addressing their weaknesses. This is especially true for someone running another term. I know their weaknesses. I want to see them address those, whether they think it's a weakness or not (and maybe why they don't). I want to see timely replies to questions and intelligence in those responses as well. I want to notice that they've taken time, know Europeia, and know themselves."

"Activity, Experience, Ability."

"Activity and ideas."

"I consider their platform and their activity weighed against what I have seen of them in the past."

"platform"

"Activity, ability, reasonableness."

"Experience, knowledge, and enthusiasm."

"Positions that are similar to mine."

"I look for experience in legislative positions and for a platform that represents my views and opinions of the region."

"Experience. Platform. Legislative Agenda."

"Platform, activity, and prior experience, in that order."

"1. Ability 2. Character 3. Activity Not necessarily in that order but often in that order."

"Their stances on economic, social, and fiscal issues."

"Good platform, experience"

"Their political stance, and their stance on issues on domestic policy."

"Platform platform platform."

"In order of importance (most to least): Enthusiasm Platform content Sees the job as important "

"Logic and drafting skills Prior experience"

Number of Times a Criteria Was Mentioned

Activity - 7
Platform - 9
Political views - 4
Experience - 7
Attitude - 3
Ability - 4

Europeia citizens all seem to agree that a solid platform is what they are looking for in a Senatorial candidate. Close behind was how active a Senator is going to be and their experience in legislation. The political views and ability of the Senator were ranked right under those characteristics, but their attitude during their term was generally ranked the lowest regarding potential.

What new faces (i.e. not currently on the Senate) would you like to see run for Senate this term?
GraVindus Rand Phazon Erebos PASD Fortunado

Kuramia, Malashaan, Mousebumples, Erebos.

"I wouldn't mind seeing some of the faces that ran for the open Senate position try again, with better platforms and maybe clearer minds prepared to be questioned and to answer those questions forthrightly and without rancor."

Prometheus, Haley, PASD, me

"I'd like to see those new faces distinguish themselves in the CA and other forums for discussion."

Rand Hyanygo Kuramia GraVandius

"Netz seems to be an interesting new face. I'd like to see Starstream give it a shot."

"I would like to see Prometheus and Rand run for Senate"

Malashaan, GraVandius, Jusduckria, Anumia

"I would love to see gravandius run for the senate. I think that Rand would also be a great choice."

"Mal needs to come back. When Dreqc and Mal work together the Senate is at its best."

zapperzx, CSP, Kuramia, Erebos

Malashaan Lethen

Most Named Nominees:

GraVandius, Rand, and Malashaan were all named 4x each as prospective Senators. Kuramia was next after them with 3 nominations.

[spoiler="Europeians suggest how the Senate could be improved]How could the Senate be improved?

"None i think that it's fine"

"Strong leadership. More communication between senators."

"Greater public involvement. The Senate needs to do more to reach out to the people and get some genuine public discussions going."

"Stop obsessing over how to improve it."

"None"

"A Speaker that is not HEM is elected next term. I think he was the main problem this term, and otherwise it would have run a lot smoother."

"More activity would be nice. A willingness to work as a team rather than calling pieces of legislation useless would also be nice."

"I feel like there's been some communication breakdowns among the Senators, and some bickering where there shouldn't be. Everyone should not only be saying they agree or disagree with something, but also why in a reasoned and non-aggressive manner. Definitely there shouldn't be insults being thrown around! The process of writing bills needs to remain consistent. No one should assume that anyone should 'just know that's what we meant'. It is part of the decorum of the position, imo, to present a bill in the correct format and with the correct procedures in place."

"Get their act together."

"I think it would be beneficial to provide the bill format to all members of the region so that issues like the ones that arose last term."

"Further collaboration with the CA is needed."

"Putting more thought into legislation."

"Nothing has changed between now and various times when the Senate was strong. We need to focus more on who will work hard when voting."

As a whole, the general feeling was that the Senate needs to become a strong team that works with the community to legislate our region. An agreement on how to appropriately proceed with the legislative process was added as a solution to end some of the clashing on finer points of legislation. A change to strong leadership was also added to make the Senate run smoother.

Do you have any final comments on this Senate term or the upcoming election?
"Spouts of activity separated by long periods of inactivity with both sadly marred by easily avoidable technical errors."

"A bad term this time, but I think the problem will be remedied next term if we just dump out the bad seeds and get a new mix of people in the Senate. I'm excited for the change."

"Senate dissapointed me and I hope people grill them on their poor performance. Many will not be getting my vote."

"I really like what the Senate has done and plans to do. I think it could become more positive overall, honest without being brutish, and that the procedures could be cleaned up a little."

It is agreed upon that change should come to the Senate and most are excited to see what happen in the coming elections. Everyone agrees there were problems, but they also agree that the Senate is capable of great things with right people.[/spoiler]

I'm a bit disappointed that the highest-rated Senator only worked for half a term (no offence, Rylian).

Kaboomlandia said:
I'm a bit disappointed that the highest-rated Senator only worked for half a term (no offence, Rylian).
None taken. In some ways, I can personally take that as a compliment even if it's a bit of insult to the Senate as a whole. But, I don't want to take it as a compliment. Instead, I'm appreciative of the experience I had in a poorly rated Senate, if only because it helps me strive to continue to be better, to be more involved, and to learn more. I can only hope that it's had a similar effect on my fellow Senators. We failed the citizens that elected us into office. It's up to us to prove that we are able to be more, do more, achieve more.

I think these comments are some of the most engaged comments we have seen. While I am far from happy with my comments (though only I am to blame for that), I think it shows evidence of a very active and politically aware population. Kudos to that. I have more to say about the convention, but I'll save that for now :)

Also, her Deputy Speaker title isn't really being used much when HEM isn't around, which seems odd, and counter-intuitive.

I was asked to allow HEM to handle most of the duties of the Speakership until earlier this month. I think the change has been noticeable as I've became more involved.

I disagree that I was trying to rush things along. I took what I saw as inactivity and tried to push things forward when no progress was being made. When no alternatives were offered in favor of simply criticizing, I pushed things forward. I accepted the alternative for the referendum amendment as a better proposal to what I had proposed rather than try to needlessly force things. After a second failed attempt at a Vice Delegate position being enshrined into law, I dropped the project even though I strongly disagree with the reason it was vetoed. Those and the EO are the only things I proposed and I don't see how they constitute as clutter.

Back