State of the Executive

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
As has been pointed out recently, it's the duty of every good citizen to evaluate and critique his government as well as those charged with leading it. This little article is written from the perspective of such a citizen who does not have access to 21 Tomlinson, someone who must formulate his opinions based on the results or lack thereof he sees in front of him and the communications offered by the officials who produce those results alone. Let's start at the top.

President Anumia seems to be becoming a more elusive figure as the weeks pass. We all know he's a bright and capable man, of that there is no doubt. However, beyond a brief inaugural 'address', signing bills, a couple basic executive orders, and the occasional miscellaneous post we simply haven't heard much from him. There have been no press conferences, no updates, virtually no communication. What exactly is the president doing? Does he simply subscribe to a hands-off leadership style? Is he busy elsewhere? Is Tomlinson buzzing and we just don't know about it? The average citizen can't answer these questions because there's just no information available on this subject. We want to hear about what he's doing. We want to be assured he's working hard for us as he promised to do. We entrusted him with large responsibilities and we deserve to be in the loop, period. An address to the region is in order and it better be a good one delievered in the very near future. Otherwise, we're forced to assume the president is lurking the forums and leaving his ministers to run the show independently whether that's true or not.

Vice President Asianatic, if it's possible, has been even more absent than the president. While the office itself suggests a more behind-the-scenes role, surely something that requires public awareness should materialize? No one doubts her ability as she's proven time and time again in a slew of positions that she's top notch. Excellence has been her iota for ages. So why so quiet now? Is she simply serving as a private advisor to the president? Is she aiding ministers in the application of their duties? Is she contributing to the administration in any sort of tangible manner? She certainly hasn't engaged in the goings-on of the region or been visible to the public in any way. The Europeian people want to see an engaged and productive vice president, something the community has lacked for some time save Jusudckria last term. Perhaps in the aforementioned address we can get some news on this front? The average citizen is left with the same conclusion he must come to when analyzing the performance of the president and it's not good.

Being a member of the ERN, this humble correspondent won't delve too deeply into naval affairs. However there are a few points to consider. We've had a successful raid and for that, bravo Mr. Grand Admiral. Beyond that though, again, communication has been lacking. What measures is the Grand Admiral taking to better our strength, capability, and relevance? He's been silent in this arena and those without access to ERN HQ have once again been left in the dark. An emphasis on the growth of our numbers was touted in the campaign. Is something to this effect taking place now? Is it in the works? Was there a real strategy to begin with? What changes has the grand admiral enacted upon taking office? What's with the resignations? These are things the public deserves to know. Sure, the nature of the military calls for a high level of discretion but it should be visible as an entity and an indication of progress or lack of it ought to be evident. Plain and simple, it's not right now.

Interior has been a welcome exception to the administrations rule of relative silence. Asperta has proven a committed and active member of our government who's slipped into his new role with ease and remarkable effectiveness. This is one ministry that hasn't succumbed to a start-of-term lag. For this everyone involved deserves our gratitude, especially non-government recruiters such as Abbey Anumia. Though long overdue, the recent announcement of a recruiting contest will do even more to further the accomplishments of this department. The utilization of the 'Recruiter of the Week' award, which had been ignored by recent MOIs, is also a welcome addition to the incentives to recruit. Though they will not escape a bit of their own criticism here. Will we see any new innovative approach from this ministry? Anumia promised a term of innovation rather than one serving as caretaker of progress already made. We'd like to see a bit of that. Additionally, is Alarm Siren the only one who can add people to the recruitment tool? If so, where the hell is he? Can we depend on a system with which we can't integrate new recruiters? While somewhat silly, people are generally turned off by manual recruitment and may be reluctant to willingly participate if that's the only option. Are there steps being taken to remedy this situation? Asperta's done well but there are still questions to be answered here. Let's hope we get the answers.

Foreign Affairs got off to a quick start as well. Swakistek put a fair few changes into effect immediately. We've yet to hear about how those policies have worked out though. Are ambassadors turning in their activity reports and ministerial briefings? This policy is perhaps the most susceptible to failure and the populace should know about how it's playing out. Also, are there any indications that the new ranking system is serving a purpose? What are some possible grounds for promotion/demotion? Is there any oversight to ensure that a notoriously inactive ambassador corps is living up to expectations? It's been awhile since Europeia went out seeking new embassy exachanges, perferring to let applicants come to us. There are well-established regions out there that we haven't reached out to as of yet. Perhaps FA can make some progress on this front. Beyond that, this department has been solid and deserves praise. It can only be hoped that they don't get complacent and plateu.

Now, Culture could probably be considered our least active ministry to this point. The JM thread always seems to be busy however we've yet to see a single substantive project emerge to this point. We were promised a revitalized government media sector. Where is it? The Hall of Fame is in desperate need of a facelift. It shouldn't just be a list, it should be an honor and an event when one is inducted. This would be a great place to start. Even the tried and true cultural institutions of acheivement awards and interregional festivals have been non-existent. Why not bring back NS Celebrities? It was a great program that's been unduly discarded. Again, where's the innovation? Where's the creativity? We want to see something, anything, from this department. To the observing citizen, this ministry is at a standstill.

The new Ministry of Welfare has been hard at work thus far. It's great to see this function of government finally getting the proper emphasis. Sopo and OO have been vigilant in their duties and deserve our gratitude. Getting the mentor system back to a functioning status is a good thing, to be sure. Are there going to be any forthcoming programs to increase efficiency in their efforts at growing our active population? Is there any research being done to justify such programs? Does this department have the resources it needs to run full-speed?

As is evident, the real issue here is communication. The fact is, the average citizen doesn't have the slightest clue as to the activity of most of our executive government if there is any activity at all in certain sectors, especially at the very top. We want to see the engaged, innovative governance we were promised. The honeymoon is over, no more excuses exist. This article is in no means trying to institute the Lexian standard that's plagued administrations past, make no mistake about that. However we were pledged more than we're getting and it's time that's changed. As the days and weeks pass, the voters are unlikely to continue giving the president and his team the benefit of the doubt as they did earlier on. This guy is one of those voters. Show us something, let us in, and now would be a good time to start.

This publication is not meant as an attack on any individual or entity. It is a critique and originates from genuine concern. Hopefully it will be useful.

Great article! I personally don't have much of an idea what's happening and I really feel there is a disconnect.

Foreign Affairs got off to a quick start as well. Swakistek put a fair few changes into effect immediately. We've yet to hear about how those policies have worked out though. Are ambassadors turning in their activity reports and ministerial briefings? This policy is perhaps the most susceptible to failure and the populace should know about how it's playing out. Also, are there any indications that the new ranking system is serving a purpose? What are some possible grounds for promotion/demotion? Is there any oversight to ensure that a notoriously inactive ambassador corps is living up to expectations? It's been awhile since Europeia went out seeking new embassy exachanges, perferring to let applicants come to us. There are well-established regions out there that we haven't reached out to as of yet. Perhaps FA can make some progress on this front. Beyond that, this department has been solid and deserves praise. It can only be hoped that they don't get complacent and plateu.

Okay, firstly, yes, Ambassadors have been turning in their Activity Reports and Ministerial Briefings. While I have had to make some exceptions in individual cases, we are now reaching the stage where every region has at least one submission on my desk. Where Ambassadors haven't been able to do the Reports, they've generally been fairly senior, and have been keeping an active eye on the region anyway, with the expectation that they would come to me if any concerns arose. In those regions where I haven't been receiving regular reports, I've also been personally checking them out to ensure that nothing major has arisen that requires my attention.

The new ranking system is indeed serving a purpose; it is off the ranking system upon which both Ambassadorial responsibilities and assignments are based. It also plays a role in indicating to individual Ambassadors how they are performing; if they are doing well, they get promotion, and I can tell you already that I have to candidates in particular who are going to be promoted very shortly.

Oversight for the Ambassadorial team? Absolutely. I have a giant spreadsheet on my computer where I have every single detail of our Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Europeian Foreign Service; I can tell you within seconds whether an Ambassador has posted all of the Foreign Updates in a timely manner, whether they've been handing in regular activity reports, how many briefings they've submitted and when they were submitted, their ranking and whether they're earmarked for being promoted or demoted. I also send out regular bulletins to the Ambassadorial squad to poke anybody who's not been performing as expected, and I maintain personal contact with nearly all of my Ambassadors to keep myself fully informed of individual circumstances.

Grounds for promotion or demotion? Well, as I said, I already have two Ambassadors earmarked for promotion, for exceptional service. By this, I mean that they've been completing all assigned tasks in a timely manner, being clear, thoughtful and reasoned in their Ministerial Briefings, and going above and beyond the call of duty to undertake tasks even beyond those that were assigned to them. That's what I'm looking for when I'm taking a look at which Ambassadors to promote.

For demotion? Well, I try not to demote too many people, but gross inactivity is one reason, as could be inappropriate behaviour in their assigned regions, failure to complete tasks etc. Nobody's on my mind for demotion, though, and that's a good thing, I think. :)

Now, to address the 'notorious inactivity of the Ambassador corps'. The whole aim of my changes have been to make Ambassadors more than just messenger boys to repost a Foreign Update every three weeks, and I think that I've been successful in that way. My Foreign Representatives keep steady streams of information coming to me on their assigned regions, and I use those to make certain decisions based on our relations with those regions; for example, we've cut off relations with around five inactive regions over the course of the term, after assessing their activity across a period of time and consulting myself, the President and the concerned Ambassador before making a decision. If you take a look at the template for Ministerial Briefings, it also includes a section for recommendations, and by this, I want to draw on the experience and expertise of Ambassadors in their assigned regions to work out what they suggest I do, rather than just making decisions myself, with the President. Ambassadors are crucial links to individual regions, and I think it's great that we're utilising them more properly.

About the new embassy exchanges, I can report good news on that front as well. Last week, I tossed Anumia a list of about 8-10 regions that we should consider opening foreign relations with, and these are currently under discussion; hopefully, we'll see some new embassies pop up soon.

Apart from those, I'd just also like to add before I leave that the Europeia-Hampshire-Gatesville joint festival has been one of my favourite accomplishments this term, and I think it'll go far in drawing our three regions together. We also have a couple of new programs and a special event scheduled for announcement on the last day of the festival that should make our ties even stronger and longer lasting than they already are.

-S.

That's all great stuff, Swak. Thanks for popping by to answer the questions you did. Your ministry has arguably been more visible to the public than any other and that's incredibly helpful to the larger citizenry when analyzing a department's effectiveness. Again, thanks!

Thank you, CSP. I try to keep people informed of where the department is heading; and if you want more information about the programs that we've been implementing this term, I'd also encourage you to check out all of the announcements that I've been making at the Ministry over the course of the term.

Thanks again, CSP, and if I may say so, your article was very well written and also very insightful. :)

Back