Social Cohesion or Social Breakdown – An Independent Study on Europeian Citizen Behaviour

I liked this!!

It takes me back to Prim's pants's group chat...
Yep, I conducted my own little social experiment, and I went even one better; none of the participants knew what was going on and neither did I. It was truly a double blind experiment.

I should maybe release the logs from that sometime, it was quite a hoot. 🤔
If its the "experiment" I'm thinking of, it was absolutely a blast!

I wanna be a test subject!

I wonder to what degree the experiment was impacted by its online nature and if the subjects would behave the same way if they were brought together in person. I know that's not possible to do but this has made me curious on that point! Cyberpsychology is an interesting and developing field.

I wonder to what degree the experiment was impacted by its online nature and if the subjects would behave the same way if they were brought together in person. I know that's not possible to do but this has made me curious on that point! Cyberpsychology is an interesting and developing field.
I think in a better experiment there's another range of factors that we could actually have investigated, and it's notable that timezone and location, different personalities and ages all played an important factor on this outside of the overall comedic value we were aiming for and had. Had it gone on for the full 24 hours, well, we had already seen the group tamper with as much control on the group-chat as they could here, and then form their own group-chat outside of this one, I expect it may have even seeped into eurochat given it had already made its way to our forums too.

I love case studies, guys, and this harmless experiment shows how difficult experimentation on humans is. We simply cannot be easily predicted and our outliers are really OUT!

On Kura's point here, cyberpsychology is a such fascinating field for study, but its so so unpredictable in an online environment, as we saw in this short and in no-way unethical at all experiment. Half the complexity in most research groups in real life is something we did pull off quite well though: getting people ranging from their teens and into their thirties, from places like the UK, Australia, Germany, and the US, all within our sample - I would think there's some kind of punchline to a joke had we been able to get all of these individuals into one room in person.

Back