Smokin' Poll

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

Over the last day or so, twenty three respondents were polled regarding their stance on issues relevant to the upcoming election for president. Below are the results.

How satisfied are you with Writinglegend's performance as president?

Very Satisfied - 56.5%
Somewhat Satisfied - 39.1%
Unsure - 4.3%
Somewhat Unsatisfied - 0%
Very Unsatisfied - 0%

These are impressive numbers. They indicate that even if not everybody is ecstatic (though many appear to be) with the President's tenure thus far, they are still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Without outspoken opposition to give a challenger legitimacy, WL is in a very strong position in terms of re-election.

How satisfied are you with Calvin Coolidge's performance as vice president?

Very Satisfied - 17.4%
Somewhat Satisfied - 52.2%
Unsure - 8.7%
Somewhat Unsatisfied - 17.4%
Very Unsatisfied - 4.3%

Our veep isn't riding quite as high but then again, it would be unusual if he was. The results here represent par for the course in terms of what we've come to expect from vice presidents if not marginally better, namely to log in once in a while and try to not burn anything down. Calvin isn't alienating anyone in his role this term and though he won't win any laurels for it, the status quo doesn't hurt his future chances at the corner office.

Has Writinglegend surpassed your expectations for his presidency thus far?

Far Exceeded - 17.4%
Somewhat Exceeded - 60.9%
Unsure - 17.4%
Somewhat Dissapointed - 4.3%
Very Disappointed - 0%

In politics, there is no more effective action than simply defying expectations. WL is accomplishing this feat in no uncertain terms. The voters aren't blown away but they are impressed and that goes a long, long way.

What is most important to you when considering a candidate?

Record - 39.1%
Activity - 30.4%
Platform - 30.4%

Europeians are divided in how they make their electoral decisions. The only conclusion we can draw, therefore, is that most candidates must present a well-rounded campaign to enjoy any success.

What issue do you view to be most important?

Foreign Affairs - 56.5%
Recruitment/Retention - 26.1%
Culture - 17.4%
Military - 0%
Communications - 0%

Few surprises here. Europeians know well that a vital factor in the health of a region is geopolitical relevance. We want our presidents focused on forming and executing effective foreign policy. The weak showing for military matters is deceiving as is the same for communications. FA will sap interest from the Navy and every issue will sap interest from MinComm. A future poll may offer a question with two choices to better determine the priorities of the citizenry at large.

Which individuals would you encourage to run for president?

Writinglegend - 65.2%
Kraketopia - 52.2%
Calvin Coolidge - 47.8%
Drecq - 47.8%
Brunhilde - 26.1%
Mousebumples - 21.7%
Malashaan - 17.4%
HEM - 8.7%
Sopo - 8.7%
Anumia - 8.7%
McEntire - 4.3%

This question has a great deal of practical value as it allows us to identify formidable candidacies in a wide open hypothetical. We see the coming contest broken down to four top tier candidates in Writinglegend, Kraketopia, Calvin Coolidge, and Drecq. Brunhilde, Mousebumples, and Malashaan represent a middle or possible insurgency tier and finally, the long shots HEM, Sopo, Anumia (who received two write-in votes), and just a few weeks after overseeing a credible effort for the Goldenblock, McEntire. The public is demanding that the incumbent run again but who can realistically beat him?

If the election were held today, who would you be more likely to vote for?

Kraketopia - 60.9%
Writinglegend - 39.1%

We'll start with the whopper. Grand Admiral and former President Kraketopia doesn't just topple a popular incumbent, he defeats him by a substantial margin. He is the only potential candidate to unseat WL in a hypothetical race and he does it with gusto.

Writinglegend - 56.5%
Drecq - 43.5%

Drecq also polls very strongly against the President. He's been trusted with everything but the presidency in his long career. Maybe the voters are willing to give him his long awaited shot.

Writinglegend - 59.1%
Mousebumples - 40.9%

Woah! Where'd you come from, Mouse? The WA Delegate, NS god mod, and former President maintains a formidable level of support. She leaves her middle tier comrades behind with these results.

Writinglegend - 73.9%
Calvin Coolidge - 26.1%

People can see Calvin as a future president. We've already established that. There's no way he beats his boss, not this time around. The question then becomes if WL knows this, does he upgrade the bottom of his ticket to fend off more dangerous challengers?

Writinglegend - 73.9%
Malashaan - 26.1%

Nothing to see here, really. He's a universally liked and respected figure and is likely to garner at least this level of support in any poll. Mal could stage a credible bid for a return to the top job and he's certainly capable of exceeding expectations but don't hold your breath.

Writinglegend - 82.6%
Brunhilde - 17.4%

Despite edging her way into the conversation with her able service to the Republic and appearing on the bottom of a ticket in the last election, Brun isn't yet viewed as presidential material by a sizable enough group to launch a legitimate bid of her own. That could change rapidly in the coming months should she play her cards right.

Writinglegend - 82.6%
Sopo - 17.4%

Europeians were underwhelmed by Sopo's last run in office and it being not so long ago, apparently haven't forgotten that fact. Look for a stellar half term in Comm to reverse his fortunes a bit. Not a lot, but a bit.

Writinglegend - 91.3%
HEM - 8.7%

Who? Never heard of him. I'm not looking it up but there's no way HEM has ever polled this poorly for anything, ever. Not in Europeia. To be fair, it's unlikely he has any more interest in taking the job than Europeians have in giving it to him.

Writinglegend - 95.7%
McEntire - 4.3%

Less than six weeks after garnering 33% of the vote, as of now, another McEntire run would end up in the most brutal ass whooping in Europeian history. We can write off this eventuality at this stage.

In sum, it's statistically clear that people are generally pleased with the President but he is not invulnerable. If Drecq, Mousebumples, and especially Kraketopia weren't considering a run then they should strongly reconsider because, quite simply, they can win.

This polling and subsequent analysis does not seek to disqualify any potential candidates not included. I used my own personal judgement and included anyone I viewed to be a serious candidate based on a number of factors.

Common-Sense Politics said:
If the election were held today, who would you be more likely to vote for?

Kraketopia - 60.9%
Writinglegend - 39.1%

We'll start with the whopper. Grand Admiral and former President Kraketopia doesn't just topple a popular incumbent, he defeats him by a substantial margin. He is the only potential candidate to unseat WL in a hypothetical race and he does it with gusto.
:evil:

Not that I think Kraken or Drecq would be bad presidents, but if WL wants it and the momentum continues, I believe he has earned a second term, and I imagine people would give it to him.

Sopo said:
Not that I think Kraken or Drecq would be bad presidents, but if WL wants it and the momentum continues, I believe he has earned a second term, and I imagine people would give it to him.
Can't take you seriously with that avatar.

Brunhilde said:
Sopo said:
Can't take you seriously with that avatar.
so true, so true

Sopo said:
MAMA!

PASD said:
Sopo said:
MAMA!
My mother has told me in the past that if you fart 12 to 15 times a day, you can lose a lot of weight.

Common-Sense Politics said:
In sum, it's statistically clear that people are generally pleased with the President but he is not invulnerable. If Drecq, Mousebumples, and especially Kraketopia weren't considering a run then they should strongly reconsider because, quite simply, they can win.
While I appreciate the support of everyone who polled for me, I don't know that it will surprise anyone to hear that I have no plans to run for the Goldenblock again - at this time or likely in the future. I am likely to support WL in a re-election bid, although I make no promises if he ends up trying to set the region on fire or add Doctor Who related clauses to each of our international treaties. :p

Thanks for the poll and analysis, CSP! Interesting stuff to ponder. :D

I want to formally thank the one person besides myself who voted for me!

Reveal yourself brave hero!

Back