Smokin' Poll

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

Three candidates have emerged in the race to decide the Europeian Senate's next speaker. Former speakers Anumia and HEM as well as the most popular re-elected senator, modernsin. It is our opinion that all three of these men are not only exceptional, proven public servants and legislators but possess the skill set for the job.

We can agree, I would hope, that what we're looking for from the next speaker is someone who will take the Senate to the next level, someone who can deliver the vigor and ingenuity necessary to return the body to prominence in Europeian politics in a substantial and enduring fashion.

It is true that the speakership is an administrative position but that does not mean that a speaker must be relegated to book-keeping and babysitting. A speaker can change the dynamics of legislative readings, can broaden the scope of senate activity, and can create an atmosphere of intrigue and prestige.

What do these particular gentlemen bring to the table?

Anumia

Anumia has served as speaker once in his previous fifteen terms, back in mid-2011. He is the longest continuously serving senator in history. He has been a constant in thoughtful discourse, diligence, and appropriate restraint. He also currently serves in a very busy and massively important ministry, Foreign Affairs. There's no reason to doubt that he can serve well in the role we've accepted for a speaker but does he have time to build the institution? Can he depart from his trademark "hands off" leadership style?

HEM

HEM has served as speaker three times in his illustrious political career, most recently in 2012 when he aggressively presided over the formulation of Constitution V. His main platform plank, the latest reincarnation of senate committees means his agenda lends itself to occupation of the speakership. With his history in recent years, does he have it in him to keep the proverbial pedal to the metal for an entire term?

modernsin

MS was among the top vote getters in the recent election and was a refreshing element in a notoriously inactive senate. He's a rising political force in Europeia to boot. He has no major limiting factors in terms of his activity and has become a solid fixture in his own right. Can he take his own enthusiasm and the best ideas from his colleagues to form an cogent, effective agenda?

The Citizen is prepared to endorse Senator modernsin for the speakership, citing the above commentary. We would suggest bringing in Senator HEM as his deputy to facilitate the committee scheme. No knock on Senator Anumia, his hen house is big enough on its own and he can only be as big of a rooster as is reasonable.

out of loop but curiois why drecq not nominated; maybe it is time o hnd over reigns to others or maybe worse showing in senate race has reduced support for another speakership term. good article

Any of the three will do good work.
As to me, even if someone had nominated me Id decline. We have a great field of candidates this term and its time for me to take a breather (heck, Ill even try to pawn of the Senate Clerk gig if the new Speaker will go for it :p ). I think that is a large factor why I wasnt renominated. Ive held the Speakership for so long its starting to be tiring and uninteresting. Its time someone else took a turn. With a bit of luck the change itself will aid in increased activity and interest for the Senate.

Given the popularity of MS at the moment... I wonder if we'll see a Presidential run by him anytime soon.

Rach said:
Given the popularity of MS at the moment... I wonder if we'll see a Presidential run by him anytime soon.
I'll have to have him eliminated before next term :violentgun:

Back