Smokin' Poll

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

Over a period of 28 hours, 32 Europeians responded to a poll regarding the upcoming presidential elections in which standing can begin as soon as June 5th. Here is what they had to tell us.

How satisfied were you with Calvin Coolidge's performance as President?

Very Satisfied - 0%
Somewhat Satisfied - 15.6 %
Unsure - 3.1%
Somewhat Unsatisfied - 28.1%
Very Unsatisfied - 53.1%

The book has been written on President Panda's second term in office. Folks have made up their minds and there is no silver lining. A majority of the region describes themselves as being very unsatisfied with his performance and a whopping 81.2% are at least somewhat unsatisfied with his tenure. Confirming the findings of previous polling on this subject, his will be remembered as one of the worst received presidencies in modern history.

How satisfied were you with Darcness' performance as Vice President?

Very Satisfied - 18.8%
Somewhat Satisfied - 53.1%
Unsure - 15.6%
Somewhat Unsatisfied - 9.4%
Very Unsatisfied - 3.1%

Normally, a VP will slightly under-perform his president. Not so in this case. A healthy majority of the region was content with Darc's performance as the region's second man which maintains his legitimacy moving forward in the top job as well as preserves a strong position should he choose to pursue a term of his own. That will, of course, depend on how he responds to the delicate situation he finds himself in. Unfortunately, not enough time has passed to adequately measure his performance as President. 'Time will tell' must suffice for the time being.

How satisfied were you with President Calvin Coolidge's executive and judicial appointments?

Very Satisfied - 22.6%
Somewhat Satisfied - 45.2%
Unsure - 9.7%
Somewhat Unsatisfied - 19.4%
Very Unsatisfied - 3.2%

Support for Calvin's chosen team remains strong despite what's occurred above them as well as a majority of them earning mediocre marks in previous polling.

How satisfied are you with President Darcness' executive appointments?

Very Satisfied - 40.6%
Somewhat Satisfied - 46.9%
Unsure - 9.4%
Somewhat Unsatisfied - 0%
Very Unsatisfied - 3.1%

Tapping Malashaan as Vice President and XIV as Minister of Culture have turned out to be not just uncontroversial picks but are viewed as solid decisions on the part of the young greenhorn President.

What is most important to you when considering a presidential candidate?

Platform Threads - 32.3%
Activity - 32.3%
Record - 22.6%
Other - 12.9%
Debate Performance - 0%

Responses for "Other" all indicated that they are considerate of some combination of the given options. This humble correspondent agrees that this is the correct approach but everybody choosing "All of the Above" wouldn't tell us anything, would it? This was the case two years ago though it can be noted, with some small level of interest that at that time those who qualified their choice were spread evenly among the options given. This time around, a candidate's resume loses out to some degree to activity and the platform threads. People seem to be more concerned with choosing an active president with a stated vision than what they have accomplished in the past. 'What have you done for me lately', indeed.

Which issue most influence's your vote for president?

Foreign Affairs - 37.5%
Culture - 18.8%
Recruitment/Integration - 15.6%
Other - 15.6%
Communications/Radio - 12.5%

External strategy remains atop voters' concerns when selecting a president as it generally does, however it's slid a bit over the course of a couple years (down from 45.2%). The real story here is the rise of Culture (up from 6% two years ago) and the fall of Recruitment/Integration (down from 45.2%). Europeia has changed, the Ministry of Culture is a huge factor in that change, and anyone running for president would be a fool to overlook that.

Which individual(s) would you encourage to run for president?

The fun part. This question doesn't tell us who is most likely to win the presidency. It does, however, tell us which individuals begin with the support necessary to launch a credible bid and who the public at large view to be presidential material. Our results show three tiers of candidates...

Darcness - 62.5%
The sitting President tops our poll a mere six days after ascending to the Office. His sound staffing decisions coupled with his reputation as a worker, inoffensive personality, and rising star places him in the strongest possible position he could be in to launch a bid for a term truly of his own. Will his lack of foreign affairs experience be a liability at this stage of his career? Best guess...probs not. When asked about his intentions, he said that he is "definitely not ruling it out", but is focused on the day-to-day operations of his government. He already sounds like a candidate.

CSP - 59.4%
Not so far removed from a razor thin defeat at the hands of Calvin Coolidge (again), one has to wonder if he has the stomach to stand for the Goldenblock one more time. Watching Calvin's presidency implode has to have left a harsh taste in his mouth. While his Foreign Affairs and military chops are generally lauded and his plans for integration have been getting better press lately, the same questions about his Culture policy will undoubtedly remain as will his sometimes prickly demeanor. A source extremely close to CSP tells us that there is no question as to whether he wants to serve as President again. Rather, it's not yet clear to him whether he's up for the rigors of another hotly contested campaign, a loss in which will likely leave him as the Hillary Clinton of Europeia forever. He's expected to make his decision next week.​

Writinglegend - 53.1%
A very well received tenure as Culture minister and a solid stint in FA have demonstrated that the longest serving president in Europeian history's still got it. If he feels he still has more to accomplish from that office, he will be an overwhelmingly formidable opponent regardless of who else stands. His last terms in office were rated highly and he's shown no signs of slowing down. His record is well-rounded and he's well liked. When asked for comment, WL stated that he is enjoying his current position and, surprised by the support shown him in this poll, will be weighing his options.

Cat - 53.1%
Cat is Radio and for that, she has become wildly popular among the Europeian public. Her energy, persistence, and ingenuity have made her someone people look to as a likely future president. Being tapped as a VP choice on a competitive campaign last time won't have hurt either. Will her experience prove too narrow to win though? That, we think, is the question. If she chooses to forgo a bid for the presidency now, her best move is to succeed in a ministry next term that isn't Radio. When approached, Cat told the Citizen that she has had thoughts about a run for some time and is proud of her record but is still looking to broaden her executive experience. A wise feline. That said, she is polling alongside seasoned statesmen already so who knows?

Drecq - 53.1%
Drecq. His stock isn't as high as it was the last time we did this poll but, nonetheless, he's always here toward the top. Yet, curiously, he's never served as President. He's shown no indication that he's interested in running for some time and he couldn't be reached for comment but know this, my friends, Drecq can always launch a credible bid should he ever choose to do so. #DrecqWatch continues in earnest.

Malashaan - 43.8%
Malashaan is in a similar but not identical spot. His numbers aren't quite as good as they once were but he does still enjoy universal respect from his peers and well, everyone else. He, unlike Drecq, does have a previous term as President under his belt. The question with him isn't necessarily willingess,but availability.​

Rach - 37.5%
Cerian Quilor - 34.4%
Deepest House - 25%
Mousebumples - 25%
Kaboom - 21.9%
McEntire - 18.8%
Aexnidaral Seymour - 15.6%

We simply don't know if any of these fine folks have designs on the presidency but if an insurgency candidacy is to be had, it will likely come from among their number. DH stands out as the most intriguing, given his critically acclaimed tenure as Minister of Communications has his star in the ascendant. Rach's ego and McEntire's unpredictability can't be ignored either. Does Aex have redemption (or vengeance) on his mind? Is Kaboom going to run in every presidential election until the end of time? Stay tuned.​

If the election were held today, who would you be more likely to vote for?

Darcness - 53.1%
CSP - 46.9%

There it is, our two frontrunners clash and we see the incumbent with a slight lead. If Darc thinks he has it in him, he needs to run.

Malshaan - 58.1%
Darcness - 41.9%

Darcness - 59.4%
Writinglegend - 40.6%

Darcness - 68.8%
Drecq - 31.3%

Darcness - 81.3%
Cat - 18.8%

Well...this is awkward. Not only does Mal beat Darcness in our hypthetical head-to-head, he beats CSP too. This shows that while people don't know that Mal can or will run, if given the chance to vote for him they will. This warrants another category...damn it. WL and Drecq do well enough to be credible challengers as well.

Malashaan - 53.1%
CSP - 46.9%

CSP - 50%
Writinglegend - 50%

CSP - 53.1%
Drecq - 46.9%

CSP - 65.6%
Cat - 34.4%

At first glance, we can see that CSP is substantially weaker against the second tier than Darc is. It stays the same no matter how many times you glance at it, actually. Malashaan edges him out but not by quite as much as he does Darc and WL ties. Drecq and Cat get closer as well. CSP's best shot at winning is a straight up showdown with Darc or Mal but not both. In the case of a three-way race with one of any these lot, he might even lose in the first round.

Malashaan - 62.5%
Writinglegend - 37.5%

Malashaan - 62.5%
Drecq - 37.5%

Malashaan - 75%
Cat - 25%

Malashaan doesn't lose in this poll...to anyone. Nobody else earns this distinction.

Common-Sense Politics - 90.6%
Calvin Coolidge - 9.4%

Good luck sleeping tonight, CSP.

Cerian Quilor - 50%
Drecq - 50%

Cerian Quilor - 50%
Mousebumples - 50%

Cerian Quilor - 56.3%
Rach - 43.8%

I don't know what to say about these ones other than they're interesting. I don't exactly know why but they definitely are.

Deepest House - 50%
Rach - 50%

Our own Deepest House hold his own against a two-time president and Queen of Balder.

Drecq - 54.8%
Writinglegend - 45.2%

Full results can be viewed here. There's a great deal more there than could be published here and might be fun to look over. Until next time, my friends, be well and get to scheming.

Excellent poll, and an amazing analysis. The self depreciating humor scattered through-out does you great service, and I laughed aloud at the "Good luck sleeping tonight, CSP" line.

10/10 would poll again.

XIV said:
Excellent poll, and an amazing analysis. The self depreciating humor scattered through-out does you great service, and I laughed aloud at the "Good luck sleeping tonight, CSP" line.

10/10 would poll again.
Thank you, friend. That makes me feel good.

Very interesting results, and definitely some surprises. I love the depth you provide on your results and the context/analysis you add in as well. Really makes all this come together in a way that makes sense rather than just being a string of numbers.

Enjoyed seeing the results, and the commentary. And now I'm curious to see who runs again in a few weeks.

Common-Sense Politics - 90.6%
Calvin Coolidge - 9.4%

This is really a gut punch.

But very interesting results and analysis!

Interesting poll and results - thanks for taking the time to do this.

Next election should be interesting. Nice way to kick off the speculation.

After seeing such a high quality analysis, I realize the time answering the questions was definitely worth it. Thanks, CSP.

The taste of bitterness fills the air in this thread. Half of a Presidential term being remembered for a few weeks of inactivity is hardly the worst thing this region has seen from a President, despite your embellishments. I've been on the other side of this coin, after I lost to Sopo in 2015, then he was inactive the entire term. Don't you think I had a lot of those same smug thoughts that the region was wrong after all, and I should have won? But the reality is that nobody knows what would have happened if real life hadn't stepped in. I don't think any less of Sopo or his voters for his term because I know he honestly wanted the best for the region when he ran for President, and felt awful about how things turned out. So yeah, twist that knife with your commentary now, but remember nobody has a crystal ball, and we're all on the same team.

Calvin Coolidge said:
The taste of bitterness fills the air in this thread. Half of a Presidential term being remembered for a few weeks of inactivity is hardly the worst thing this region has seen from a President, despite your embellishments. I've been on the other side of this coin, after I lost to Sopo in 2015, then he was inactive the entire term. Don't you think I had a lot of those same smug thoughts that the region was wrong after all, and I should have won? But the reality is that nobody knows what would have happened if real life hadn't stepped in. I don't think any less of Sopo or his voters for his term because I know he honestly wanted the best for the region when he ran for President, and felt awful about how things turned out. So yeah, twist that knife with your commentary now, but remember nobody has a crystal ball, and we're all on the same team.
I think to expect CSP to not be slightly bitter is a bit unfair of an expectation. You two have run against each other twice, in very close elections, and you've prevailed both times.

In defense of Calvin, though, I have two other observations:

(1) Regions have short memories of these things. Over time—sometimes after only amazingly short amounts of time—the fact that someone has served as President means more than their actual term. People like redemption stories, and they like the idea of electing someone who perhaps fell short before, but thanks to that experience, can now meet their full potential (Oliver Grey is a great example of this, as is Rach, and Sopo—heck, Sopo has never had a truly great Presidency but he remains largely liked and admired).

(2) For Presidents to be remembered as "bad" vs. mediocre, generally two things have to happen: (a) bad PR AND (b) a major event largely outside the President's control.

We don't remember many Presidents as bad, because it's really hard to meet that test. But it also means that a lot of Presidents who would otherwise be remembered as unremarkable get tagged as "bad" because of some "big" event. For instance, I publicly dragged Seven Deaths in the Grand Hall the other day as a bad President, but his Presidency was marred by a forum outrage that lasted three days (and we subsequently lost a few hundred posts). I think, for Calvin, the Trinnien scandal was really what did him in. That wasn't fully out of his control because of how he (mis)handled it initially, and then didn't publicly address it, but it was a random event that most Presidents don't have to do with.

tl;dr = there's a lot of mediocre Presidents who get a lot less shit than Calvin has.

I think Calvin will stop getting any major shit soon enough - its' been what, a week since he resigned?

Cerian Quilor said:
I think Calvin will stop getting any major shit soon enough - its' been what, a week since he resigned?
I can keep giving you shit forever though, right? :ph43r:

HEM said:
Cerian Quilor said:
I can keep giving you shit forever though, right? :ph43r:
Apart from being an asshole about Kantrias that one time a few months ago, you haven't given me all that much shit.

Calvin Coolidge said:
I think being smug and bitter are normal reactions.

Don't you think Hillary Clinton is being smug and bitter right now?

And I think I'd be more smug too if my opponent had those approval ratings too.

Constie said:
Calvin Coolidge said:

Let's have a little taste and not compare Calvin to Trump, please?

Cerian Quilor said:
Constie said:
Calvin Coolidge said:

I'm not seeking to compare Trump's personality to Calvin, merely the circumstances involved.

Constie said:
Cerian Quilor said:
Constie said:
Calvin Coolidge said:

I'm not seeking to compare Trump's personality to Calvin, merely the circumstances involved.
You're still comparing him to Trump though....which is the point. So yeah don't. The two are nothing alike in even circumstances.

Kuramia said:
Constie said:
Cerian Quilor said:
Constie said:
Calvin Coolidge said:

You're still comparing him to Trump though....which is the point. So yeah don't. The two are nothing alike in even circumstances.
You sure?

CSP and Hillary sitting in a tree walking in a forest...

Back