Smokin' Poll: Senate General Mar '21

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

Earlier this week, 25 Europeians were polled on their views pertaining to the impending Senate general election. This poll was in the field before the resignation of Senator Baobab. These are the results, which I am posting without accompanying analysis. For reals, I'm super pooped out. Share your takes below and maybe we can do a radio show to dig deeper into these numbers which, I think, are super interesting. One thing's certain. This is a wide open election!

How long have you been active in Europeia?

5+ years - 40%
1 to 2 years - 16%
6 months to 1 year - 16%
Less than 6 months - 16%
2 to 5 years - 12%

Who did you vote for in this past Senate by-election?

Common-Sense Politics - 40%
Kazaman - 24%
Forilian - 16%
Sopo - 16%
I didn't vote - 4%

What are the primary reasons you voted the way you did?

- Platform

- Commitment to repealing EA3(4)

- Platform, and past experience

- CSP seems to have been the most mature and experienced option

- Senate involvement in the Executive

- GOTV, good platform

- Policy

- Experience in Senate and Navy as well as FA.

- I simply forgot...but my vote would have been either CSP or Forilian.

- I agreed with their views on what the senate should pursue.

- All the candidates were good but CSP seemed the most qualified for the job. I disagreed with Kazaman on fundamental issues. I believe NationStates should be fun and Sopo wasn't going to have fun. I liked Fori's campaign but, in the end, I chose CSP.

- Naval expertise, proven reliability, and a solid platform with a passion for change

- I felt that Forilian had a campaign that wasn't promising anything too crazy. It was a nice blend of newness and experience. Coupled with his acknowledgement to do better, was very convincing for me.

- I liked [Sopo's] time as a senate substitute. He didn't even GotV me but GotV matters very little in determining my choice

How satisfied are you with the performance of the Senate as a whole?

Very satisfied - 20%
Somewhat satisfied - 60%
Unsure - 0%
Somewhat unsatisfied - 20%
Very unsatisfied - 0%

- Undecisiveness

- The Honoured Expansion Amendment and the abstain fiasco was really disappointing, but otherwise the term was fine

- Incredibly active Senate, despite ups and downs

How satisfied were you with the performance of Speaker Calvin Coolidge?

Very satisfied - 56%
Somewhat satisfied - 36%
Unsure - 8%
Somewhat unsatisfied - 0%
Very unsatisfied - 0%

- Did a good job of moving things forward

- Couldve done more to guide the newer Senators

- Very proactive

- Great at communication, pushed forward interesting ideas, overall had good rationale for his policies, and is respectful.

- I had joined right when Calvin was elected President, so I can't really say whether I approve or not.

- Was a great speaker, I felt there was a lot of activity in the Senate partly thanks to his leadership, and as a "private senator" he was pretty active

How satisfied are you with the performance of Speaker UPC?

Very satisfied - 32%
Somewhat satisfied - 44%
Unsure - 16%
Somewhat unsatisfied - 8%
Very unsatisfied - 0%

- Needs to be better with his communication over his positions. The HC situation immediately comes to mind. But on the other hand, he has been active and a good contributor of fairly interesting ideas this term.

- Very proactive senator, and deservedly became speaker after Calvin left

How satisfied are you with the performance of Senator Baobab?

Very satisfied - 4%
Somewhat satisfied - 28%
Unsure - 8%
Somewhat unsatisfied - 24%
Very unsatisfied - 36%

- Not very presen

- Inactive in Senate discussions

- That abstain debacle still weighs on my opinion of Bao as a senator

- Not always the most responsive but a first Senate term is always hard

- I was looking forward to his term, but I must admit that I am quite disappointed. Bao seems to express the least opinions and ideas, which is reflected in the fact that he has had by far the least posts of any senator during this term. At best, he's had communication issues when it comes to expressing his views (or perhaps inactivity?). At worst, his presence isn't bringing anything of value to the Senate. He has some time to turn it around, but currently, I wouldn't reelect him.

- Bao has been barely active and has virtually never provided any meaningful insight into the ongoing discussions.

- Totally inactive. Does not participate.

- He never seems to be active much, and when he is active he does not contribute much. It doesn't seem like he really wants to be there.

- Much of the posts in the Senate weren't too substantial and didn't provide much to the conversation.

- could have been more engaged in discussions. Isn't an awful senator but there is room to improve

How satisfied are you with the performance of Senator Lloenflys?

Very satisfied - 48%
Somewhat satisfied - 36%
Unsure - 12%
Somewhat unsatisfied - 4%
Very unsatisfied - 0%

- Good at furthering discussion

- Effective communication, good activity, and clear rationale for his positions. While I might not agree with him on everything, I can't help but respect him.

- seems like a typical Lloen term. Hasn't done anything groundbreaking this time but doesn't have to either

How satisfied are you with the performance of Senator Xecrio?

Very satisfied - 8%
Somewhat satisfied - 44%
Unsure - 20%
Somewhat unsatisfied - 16%
Very unsatisfied - 12%

- Nate is still rash about his decision while also backtracking if under pressure.

- A good term for Xecrio, maybe not a shining star

- I'd say he's by far the worst communicator in the Senate during this term. Not only has he flip-flopped on his positions in a blink of the eye, but he's constantly making edits to his posts which obscure his original positions and rob citizens of the opportunity to clearly follow his train of thought. Much of his rationale for his positions that is even evident is also incredibly small in quantity or simply weak in my eyes.

- On multiple issues Nate has flip flopped for seemingly no particular reason. It seems to me he does not take the time to form his own opinion and only reacts to what others say.

- He's trying, but he is not good at articulating his positions or why he changes them.

- Really not sure... doesn't seem to be too active, and that blackout with the abstention is still fresh in my memory

How satisfied are you with the performance of Senator Monkey?

Very satisfied - 36%
Somewhat satisfied - 48%
Unsure - 8%
Somewhat unsatisfied - 8%
Very unsatisfied - 0%

- Monkey does a good job with thoughtful discussions

- He been very active and at least done a good job communicating his positions and why he has them. Unfortunately, I disagree with so many of his positions that I can't rate him higher than this.

- He's been very good, in my opinion! Started a bunch of discussions, as promised. I liked his decision to take an LoA during confirmations - in a position as important as MoFA it's justified that he wanted one more person to perform oversight on him

How satisfied are you with the performance of Senator GraVandius?

Very satisfied - 40%
Somewhat satisfied - 28%
Unsure - 24%
Somewhat unsatisfied - 0%
Very unsatisfied - 8%

- Has been a good term for GraV up until now

- Great at communication, pushed forward interesting ideas, overall had decent rationale for his policies, and is respectful. It's a shame he was unable to attain Speakership.

- I have an impression he's been really engaged, I'd call him one of the best this term

In a vacuum, would you prefer the size of the Senate to increase, decrease, or stay the same next term?

Stay the same - 40%
Increase - 32%
Decrease - 16%
Unsure/No preference - 12%

- TENATE TENATE TENATE

- Sometimes it looks to be difficult to keep every Senator engaged

- This Senate was disappointing to me. Reduction can serve as some degree of quality control.

- 7 is a good size

- Depends on the quality of the field, but I prefer smaller Senates typically

- I'm nearly convinced 7 is the perfect size. Wide array of voices and doesn't go inactive, but also doesn't become too chaotic

Which individual(s) would you encourage to run for Senate in the upcoming election?

This polling and subsequent analysis does not seek to favor or disqualify any potential candidates, included or not. I used my own personal judgement and included anyone I viewed to be a serious candidate based on a number of factors.

This is excellent, CSP, I am very glad that you’ve put it together! I hope that the next Senate election is as promising as this poll indicates it could be

I really appreciate you gathering this information, CSP.

The 'Peloton'? Haven't heard that reference before.

These numbers all make sense to me, glad to know I'm in line with most of the region on my Senate takes. Good stuff, CSP.

Thanks for your work putting this together CSP! Interesting comments here, but nothing drastically unexpected really. Oherwise it looks like we'll have a lot more discussion still to go, and an exciting race for the next Senate term!

This is great!

Thanks for this, CSP! This'll be an exciting Senate race coming up.

I'm finally not on here! Ty!

This was great! Unfortunate that the Bao comments were indicative of the fact that he'd end up having to resign, but at least our electorate is clued in enough to notice these red flags.

Always interesting to see poll results! I have high hopes for the following terms (and based on this poll, the people in them)

It was really good!

Aktchually, I have a legit question: could the answers to the "What are the primary reasons you voted the way you did?" be grouped by candidate? It might indicate patterns of reasons, could it not? Just wondering.

Great job as always, CSP :D

It was really good!

Aktchually, I have a legit question: could the answers to the "What are the primary reasons you voted the way you did?" be grouped by candidate? It might indicate patterns of reasons, could it not? Just wondering.

Great job as always, CSP :D
Yeah, I had the same thought after the fact. I'm not doing it this time but next time, for sure.

Back