Smokin' Poll: Feb '22 Preliminary Polling

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

This week 28 Europeians responded to this poll regarding their preferences germane to the upcoming election for President of Europeia. Here are the results. Trends from our most recent applicable poll will be periodically shown in parentheses. We will endeavor to put on an accompanying radio broadcast as soon as practicable, complete with a full analysis!​

How long have you been active in Europeia?

5+ years - 25% (-9.2)
2 to 5 years - 25% (+6.6)
Less than 6 months - 21.4% (+0.2)
6 months to 1 year - 17.9% (+7.4)
1 to 2 years - 10.7% (-5.1)

Which of these statements best describes you as a player?

I am slightly more interested in political gameplay than social gameplay - 35.7% (+1.5)
My interest in political gameplay and social gameplay is equal - 32.1% (+8.4)
I am substantially more interested in political gameplay than social gameplay - 17.9% (-11)
I am slightly more interested in social gameplay than political gameplay - 7.1% (-3.4)
I am substantially more interested in social gameplay than political gameplay - 7.1% (+4.5)

Did you vote in the last Presidential election (first round or runoff or both), held in November of 2021?

Yes - 100%
No - 0%
I can't remember - 0%

Did you vote in the last Senate general election, held in December of 2021?

Yes - 89.3%
No - 10.7%
I can't remember - 0%

How satisfied are you with the 2020 adoption of the Executive Modernization Act (reversal of the Executive Split)?

Very satisfied - 60.7% (+4.6)
Somewhat satisfied - 17.9% (-6.5)
Unsure - 17.9% (+5.7)
Somewhat unsatisfied - 3.6% (-3.7)
Very unsatisfied - 0%

Should Europeia become a Frontier region or a Stronghold region upon the implementation of the impending NationStates technical update?

Definitely frontier - 39.3% (+10.4)
Leaning frontier - 14.3% (-12)
Unsure - 0% (-7.9)
Leaning stronghold - 21.4% (-2.3)
Definitely stronghold - 25% (+11.8)

Is Europeia doing enough to prepare for the Frontier/Stronghold update?

No - 50% (+5.3)
Yes - 35.7% (+6.8)
Unsure - 14.3% (-12)

- Preparations have stagnated, due to an unenthusiastic executive and a Senate bent on endless questions.

- The Executive has yet to show us they are adequately beefing up naval and integration systems to take full advantage of the update. This would need to be done with either option. We're just choosing to not do it and I find that to be unacceptable.

- Interior still too recruitment-heavy - not seeing any integration plans from them which is disappointing. FA is a black box so I have no idea what's happening on that front. Navy seems pretty good. The RSC should be implemented before the update.

- Time for a referendum.

- I have no idea what's going on in the background of the executive. The senate is doing fine, but could be moving through some of this stuff faster.

- There has recently been no updates on the preparation for F/S or any discussion on it at all by the Government. I understand that people will get bored of talking about it all the time and I give leniency on that for the Executive.

- There is continuing debate going on and the update appears to be looking further and further away from fruition.

- I mean, could be more but we're defo in the right direction

- I was promised a referendum and no such has been held!

- Everyone appears to have dropped the ball on anything F/S related.

Who is mostly at fault for the ultimate failure of the Treaty of Gear and Star?

The Leftist Assembly - 50%
Lime Administration - 25%
Unsure - 10.7%
Someone else - 7.1%
The Senate - 3.6%
Darcness Administration - 3.6%

- Eh, it was just a poorly made decision on both ends. Now I wish we saw a NAP first.

- There were clear signs that this should not be a treatied partner, yet, when it was proposed. While I have no ill will towards anyone in this process, it does show that the concerns senators had when the treaty was proposed were legitimate.

- TLA changed their minds at the very last second without really communicating their issues beforehand.

- From the very start, there were glaring errors in judgement and process. Hard to not blame ourselves on this one. Lime's team didn't do their due diligence and it bit us all in the rear end. It's embarrassing.

- From what Lime said in the Senate it really seems like TLA isn't really a super committed partner after all, which seems concerning. I will say, though, that it was a misstep on the part of the Lime administration to propose a full treaty so early and before we even had substantial connections or a NAP

- Just eat the crow for once for your failings during your term.

- As Lime explained it, it looks like TLA had said they we're going to ratify said treaty. We had no real reason to think that the wouldn't. They, for an unknown reason, decided not to. That makes them reasonable. I don't believe this is a reason to second guess all beginning relationships. We started with faith and that faith was broken. That's on TLA.

- It felt like that the High Ranks in the Leftist Assembly might be having a power struggle and that is the only reason why I see the Treaty of Gear and Star ultimately failing.

- The Lime administration made a misjudgement in trying to legislate a full treaty with what was a rather unknown region to Europeia. However the fact that TLA had also agreed to such and appears to have made no priority of ratification shows just how much political capital our region holds in their eyes.

- While Lime shouldn't have signed it, TLA are the ones that didn't ratify it

- it's a whole complex story. i don't think the administrations, or the senate, or even TLA is to blame here.

- Rushed it. Too far, too fast with a region it seems Europeia had no relationship with beforehand.

- TLA's Minister has openly said they were going to ratify while Euro was ratifying, then they informed the Lime admin that they wouldn't after Euro ratified and failed to clearly state it was indefinite pause. This is clearly on TLA and TLA alone.

- Both sides are at fault but I am seriously concerned with how the Lime Admin handled this. Its almost like they pushed the treaty on the senate to try to score a political win at the expense of the region. Then they got caught in a lie, cmon man.

- There was a mix of factors coming into play here, I don’t think there really is one definite answer

How satisfied are you with the execution of the 2021 Winter Festival?

Very satisfied - 21.4%
Somewhat satisfied - 35.7%
Unsure - 17.9%
Somewhat unsatisfied - 17.9%
Very unsatisfied - 7.1%

- f u n

- Good job Sanju.

- The Winter Festival appeared to be mostly a thread with pictures of winter stuff and a non-interactive mini-game. We can and should do more to use festivals to showcase our community and bring folks together.

- We had lots of fun activities, some that were very unique!

- The Culture Minister did not really use any bold ideas that people made to use in the Winter Festival. That gives me a little bit of a stance that the Culture Minister kind of unperformed.

- Not well advertised and seemed lethargic.

- Meh

- There was a festival?

How satisfied are you with Darcness' performance as President?

Very satisfied - 7.1%
Somewhat satisfied - 46.4%
Unsure - 14.3%
Somewhat unsatisfied - 25%
Very unsatisfied - 7.1%

- Mostly fine, but the lack of overall vision directing the different parts of government has caused issues and stunted the potential of the administration.

- At this point I'm becoming very frustrated with the lack of forward movement and absence of communication from this administration. The only way to judge this term a success so far is if you think the region not blowing up is an impressive accomplishment in and of itself.

- Doesn't feel communication with the people who voted for him is something he should do...?

- I felt like Darcness's performance as President was quite average. Nothing really spectacular happened.

- A steady approach, no big dramas, someone who knows what they're doing

- his ministers are good, but he's a bit meh

- Between the whole VP conundrum (It is generally the fault of the admin for not encouraging UPC to resign sooner) and the really laggardly performance of the Cabinet, it's been a disappointing term.

- A step up from Lime but too quiet overall. What has Darc done exactly?

- People might not notice Darc as much because he very much works behind the scenes but he keeps his ministers busy and running

How satisfied are you with the quality of the President's executive and judicial appointments?

Very satisfied - 39.3% (+29.5)
Somewhat satisfied - 53.6% (+12.1)
Unsure - 7.1% (-10)
Somewhat unsatisfied - 0% (-24.4)
Very unsatisfied - 0% (-7.3)

Is Europeia on the right track?

Yes - 53.6% (+21.9)
No - 25% (-14)
Unsure - 21.4% (-7.9)

What is most important to you when considering a candidate for President? Please rank your choices from 1 (most important) to 5 (least important).

Which policy area do you view to be most important when choosing a President? Please rank your choices from 1 (most important) to 4 (least important).

Would you consider voting for someone in a presidential election with whom you did not have an existing social relationship?

Yes - 78.6%
Unsure - 3.9%
No - 17.9%

- um no that's a bad way to pick your vote

- Depends on how they warm up to me during the pre-election hustle.

- Because it is not all about the personal relationship and it is about the policy that a President will follow to ensure the best outcome for that term in Europeia.

- as long as they're not a meanie, why not

- It doesn't matter if I know the candidate well or not, what matters is: are they showing a positive vision for Europeia and a command of ideas they want to implement.

Knowing what you know now, how would you have voted in the last presidential election (first round)?

Darcness/UPC - 46.4%
SkyGreen24/Istillian - 35.7%
Monkey/Writinglegend - 14.3%
Gaudosia/Pichtonia - 3.6%
Unsure - 0%

Knowing what you know now, how would you have voted in the last presidential election (runoff)?

Darcness/UPC - 46.4%
SkyGreen24/Istillian - 46.4%
Unsure - 7.1%

Which individual(s) would you encourage to run for President?

These numbers don't tell us who is most likely to win the presidential election. They do give us a solid indication of the level of initial support these potential candidates could expect before we know anything about running mates or their policy platforms.

This polling and subsequent analysis does not seek to disqualify any potential candidates, included or not. I used my own personal judgement and included anyone I viewed to be a serious candidate based on a number of factors.

Thank you for this poll! I think there will be a lot to discuss on the radio show

A lot of very cool stuff in here, looking forward to a future radio show going over this!!

(I also feel like I just noticed that all the tiers are specifically Katy Perry references??? Were they always this way????? :p )

Should Europeia become a Frontier region or a Stronghold region upon the implementation of the impending NationStates technical update?

Definitely frontier - 39.3% (+10.4)
Leaning frontier - 14.3% (-12)
Unsure - 0% (-7.9)
Leaning stronghold - 21.4% (-2.3)
Definitely stronghold - 25% (+11.8)
Although the F/S question was very close (53.6% frontier and 46.4% stronghold), it seems like people are getting firmer (or you could say more polarized) in their opinions. Both "definitely"s gained a lot while both "leaning"s fell. Plus, no respondents were unsure (and it seems like those who used to be unsure went to Stronghold). I wonder what caused that.

The other interesting thing to me is that, although Darc doesn't have a tremendous approval rating (53.5%), it still seems like he would have won the election.

Thanks for the poll!

Yeah, the F/S movement stood out to me, too.

Maybe it's the lower number of respondents? Those who took the poll might have been more opinionized from the beginning.

In any case, a lot of interesting data. Thank you, CSP, and great work with the Katy Perry song titles.

I look forward to further analysis on radio, hopefully!

Back