September Pre-Standing Presidential Poll Results

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
From September 10th to September 13th, our poll remained open, receiving 17 responses. For the first time ever, the Panda's Pen has reached out to other journalists to help this article achieve its best form, so I'm going to thank all of them right now. While I made the poll and compiled the data, Mousebumples made the graph images, Kurmia wrote the analysis and edited the poll, and GraVandius also helped edit the poll. I salute you all for helping me on this quest, and without further ado, I present the results of our poll.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of President Writinglegend this term?

Average: 7.7
Mode: 7

Regarding the last response, how would you describe the term of the Executive member rated?

Writinglegend has been very professional and dedicated to the position of President this term.

WL is always full of energy and regularly makes things happen that everyone else wrote off as unlikely.

This term has been something of a disappointment, though not by any real fault of Writinglegend himself. His only failure was appointing a slew of rather untested and unreliable ministers. Perhaps next time Writinglegend will be able to appoint those who will actually do their jobs rather than disappearing and failing to do their appointed duties.

We're experiencing a noticeable slowdown in every area of executive government. The president is competent but needs to reinvigorate his administration. This is bound to happen in a second term. What is important is how he responds.

Better communications and progressive continuation of projects.

Overall I think it's been a solid term with some blindspots - namely Anumia in Foreign Affairs - and I think we need to have a renewed focus on domestic activities that will encourage activity *on the forums.* We can play all the games off-site that we want, but how does that help encourage a community forum-side that, at least to newcomers, will look as vibrant and active as they perceive it to be? Also, our media sector has taken a fall-off (can you ever say it was standing up consistently?) but it needs to be addressed either way.

Some areas have done well, others haven't. To some extent, that's a reflection on the Cabinet members in questions, but it is also important for the President to hold their Cabinet to a high standard of excellence. Notable areas for improvement: International Paper, and FA/Ambassador Academy. Mixlr also needs more focus.

It's been a quiet term, which is both good and bad. Nothing much of consequence has really happened, but nothing bad has happened either. Very even keeled.

A strong term slightly marred by some FA problems and inactivity in some Ministries.

President Writinglegend’s term was met with affirmative commentary, garnering an average of 7.7. While his term was viewed in a positive manner, most of the comments are aimed at his choice of ministers, criticizing the inactive and inexperienced leaders of the various Ministries as key problem areas in President Writinglegend’s Administration.

This is not the first time these critiques have been aimed at President Writinglegend. His choice of Ministers have been questioned in the past, mainly in terms of their inexperience.

Regarding the last response, how would you describe the term of the Executive member rated?

Average: 7.3
Mode: 9

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Vice President Calvin Coolidge this term?

The curse of Vice Presidents is that they need to be super hands-on to appear as active as they may be and probably are.

He's a vice president much like every other vice president since ever. Who cares? BUT if he's going to say you can see his work in that of the ministries, the ministries should probably be doing better.

I have nothing but good things to say about Calvin.

Saw a lot of good stuff from Calvin. I'm not entirely sure what the VP's job is, but he did some cool stuff so I'll assume it pertained to his job.

Calvin has been more noticeable overall this summer, even if most of his work is behind the scenes. I think it helps that he wasn't trying to chair the CA simultaneously.

The Vice President was great this term.

What is calvin doing?

Sold term but suffered from the typical lack of visibility factor of VPs.

He didn't seem terribly active or visible during the first part of the term, but he seems to be more around as of late, perhaps coinciding with a return to college?

Averaging out at 7.3, Vice President Calvin Coolidge comes just under President Writinglegend’s own average. This seems to be due to a lack of communication on his part, which he admitted was a problem in an interview done earlier this term.

There also seems to be some confusion as to what exactly a Vice President needs and is supposed to do. Clarification on this point might be needed for future terms.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Foreign Affairs Minister Anumia this term?

Average: 4.5
Mode: 3

The MoFA was pretty silent for this term. Although, I suppose that it isn't completely in Anumia's control.

Relatively inactive, making sweeping statements without actually doing much, so far as I can tell from the public view of FA. As of late, there has been some newcomer interest in the Ambassador Academy, but there has been no acknowledgement of their interest and (presumably) no action taken to add them to the courses we have available.

When he's around, I'm sure he does a great job. When he's around.

I'm unaware of anything Minister Anumia has accomplished or attempted to accomplish.

Anumia has been fairly inactive this term for a variety of personal reasons, however despite this he has managed to maintain a presence on the forums.

Saw very little initiative or activity from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Unfortunately, Anumia wasn't really active enough as a minister to deserve a higher ranking than this.

Is anything going on in FA? I'm really not sure if any work has been done because we don't have much materialized right now, and this seems similar to Anumia's last time as MoFA where he didn't really do anything.

Not much visibility, and there have been some unfortunate developments. However, these have mostly been outside of Anumia's control.

Likely due to RL, Anumia has been probably WL's quietest Minister. FA is such a strange beast with so much occurring behind closed doors, it's hard to accurately judge Anumia's work. I don't think anything got done with the senior/junior aspect and I was pretty sure that was something WL had promised in his campaign.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Anumia, wasn’t afforded a high average, only scoring 4.5. While most of this was due to his recently explained absence, many citizens were dismayed by the lack of activity with Foreign Affairs as a whole.

If there has been activity in the FA, Europeia is mostly ignorant of it. It seems that his inactivity, highlighted by a recent recall attempt for his Senate position, has contributed to his low score.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Regional Recruitment Minister Erebos this term?

Average: 7.3
Mode: 9

Truly a fantastic leader.

Despite having more posts this term than Shadowlurker, Erebos has managed to be just about as visible as the other aformentioned minister. Which means he's seemed almost completely absent. Which begs the question: how effective could he really have been.

I thought that Erebos did a great job in recruitment.

At the beginning of the term, Europeia was hovering around 1,050 nations and falling. Thanks in part to Erebos, GraVandius, Rand, and Cool Spring, to name a few, Europeia is now at 1,162 nations at the time of writing.

Good. more eforts should be made to bring in new active recruiters though.

The Ministry had great numbers for the majority of the term, and Erebos really knows how to lead a team.

Probably WL's biggest triumph in choice of minister. Recruitment has gone well, and its staff seems to be enjoying what they are doing. That's a pretty good endorsement of its leadership.

Good encouraging of manual recruitment, which has helped to drive our numbers up. Possible area for improvement involve perhaps taking another look at the exact text of our telegrams and tweaking accordingly.

Our Minister of Recruiting, Erebos, scored an average of 7.7, but the comments pertaining to his position were mostly favorable. The two criticisms he seems to have garnered is not securing more recruiters for his term and not being as visible as he could have been on the forums. There was a marked difference in recruiting numbers with him at the helm however.

Keeping the fun in recruiting will be key in the next term of the Minister.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Citizen Integration Minister Shadowlurker this term?

Average: 3.7 (Lowest)
Mode: 3 and 0

Far less than optimal activity
It seems like the CSO is running fine, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of lost newbies running around, so CI must be doing something right. It may be a case of something that isn't really noticed unless there's a problem, but I just didn't really pay much attention to CI or Shadowlurker this term.

Does this ministry have a job? It seems like we are eternally working on the handbook, but almost never get changes and this term seems the same in that regard. Other than that changing the CSO awards and stripping down the patron program seems like things that really keep getting "done" on paper but don't actually have impact and this isn't different now.

Complete absence is a great thing for a minister, right?

Is he alive? I saw hardly any activity from Citizen Integration this term.

Did Shadow really do anything?

Is he even around? Last activity on forum 9/6, and his last post (so far as I can tell) in the CI subforum is for his midterm address. Has he done anything in the region (or his Ministry) since then?

It seems like almost nothing has been done. The activity in MoCI could easily have been incorporated in MoRR.

Shadowlurker, Minister of Citizen Integration received an average of 3.7, the lowest score of anyone in the polls. With no real goals set in place for the ministry, except the handbook which some argue is mostly finished (or always unfinished), it seemed as if the Ministry stagnated with no sight of Shadowlurker.

Given his low attendance during his term as Senator it is clear activity is something which needs work.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Culture Minister Cpt.Carrot this term?

Average: 7.5

Carrot did a wonderful job in Culture.

One of the few ministers who did their job. What more could be expected?

Carrot is energetic and interested in getting people involved in Culture things. Area for improvement: Improving activity of the region within festivals, as the philosophy festival wasn't a huge success. Is there a better way to try to encourage gameside players to come and join in the fun?

Carrot is great, as always. It seems like Culture was made for him.

Great weekend games and some solid events.

Carrot knows culture, but he's seemed disorganized.

Carrot is a great guy and ran a great ministry. Had lots of fun with the game nights and such, but I feel like the Ministry could've done a lot more.

While I'd say the Philosophy fair fell a bit flat and maybe didn't work out as well as intended, I know the weekend games have all gone over fairly well. Solid job, if nothing spectacular.

Captain Carrot of the Ministry of Culture received an average score of 7.5. Despite his somewhat lower score, most of the comments point to what an excellent job he has done this term.

While some felt the Philosophy Fair could’ve been a bigger success, they all felt that Captain Carrot was fit for the Ministry of Culture. More events could lead to even greater success for this Ministry.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Communication Minister Rylian this term?

Average: 7.2

Mixlr has been left in the dust, again. It doesn't even seem like the minister tried to keep it up. The EBC archives are still in chaos and private media is overwhelmed with dead newspapers that haven't been archived. There has been signed of structural improvements with the EBC, but we haven't seen the article output hit a good rate from it yet.

We need more mixlr events and ideally more articles, but the ministry is moving in the right direction.

I thought that Rylian did a wonderful job as Communication Minister.

Rylian has been good as a Comm minister - especially when it comes to getting written articles out. However, the infrequency with which Mixlr has been used has been disappointing.

This was probably one of the most proactive ministries this term. I loved the effort and consistent Mixlr broadcasts; it really speaks a lot for the passion of the ministry.

He's done a lot, but could he have done more to overcome the fall-off of Mixlr content? And damn if it isn't hard to find sufficient and active and regular writers for the EBC. That's not a dig: it's hard to so heavily rely on others.

I think the organization he brought was good, and but maybe bit off a bit more than he could chew, or got caught up in the Senate? It was disappointing that he never really did much with Mixlr as he seemed to have wanted, though he did have that show recently with Mal.

Another good, young leader who is very bright.

I think this term has proven that Rylian cannot multitask. His role as a senator has definitely had a negative impact on his ability to perform as a member of the executive. One note? I think so.

The Minister of Communications who recently had a name change from Rylian to Trennien got an average score of 7.2. While this seems to be an average average, most of the commentary was positive. Europeians reflected on his inability to multitask as the main source of problems within the Ministry, citing that although his organizing plans were solid, his role as a Senator clearly limited the time he could devote to the Ministry.

Organization should continue in the same vein as before, but more articles need to be published in order to reach the platform goals that had been set by Trennien at the beginning of his term. The Mixlr, as always, was sadly left in the dust.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Attorney General Malashaan this term?

Average: 8.8 (Highest)
Mode: 8

A very efficient AG.

I think Malashaan exedes all reasonable and unreasonable expectations.

Malashaan did a great job as Attorney General.

Another one of WL's triumphs, but then Mal tends to excel in the legal aspects so I'm not sure it would matter the President. He helped get a lot of clarifications and so forth done, and that helped cleaned up a bit of the legal debris that WL had been dealing with going into this term.

Mal took a lot of initiative and, from what I can tell, he was an important part of the Executive's team this term. The Advisory Opinions aren't necessary, but he still went the extra mile and got them. Great job.

I don't think anything really needs to be said about Malashaan in this role. He has performed exactly as expected.

Not a very visible position, so it's hard to judge, but he has requested some good AOs this term.

da bomb dot com

Attorney General Malashaan excelled in this poll, receiving the highest average at 8.8. His high score isn’t too surprising given his shining examples of performance elsewhere, including in the Senate and as a site admin.

As with any of the aforementioned positions in the administration, visibility is key in ensuring the citizens know the job is being done.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Grand Admiral Kraketopia this term?

Average: 8.2
Mode: 8

Staying the course.

At least two successful campaigns and had a member complete some of his training. Kraketopia keeps on doing what he's good at.

Kraketopia has proven time and again that he is an extremely effective Grand Admiral. I do not believe there is anyone currently in Europeia who could perform the duties of the position better than him.

Good missions and training of troops and working in support of our allies.

I would've liked to seen a little more activity and initiative from the Navy this term, but Kraken's a great commander and does a lot of great things with the Navy. Give that man a Triumph!

I'm not a member of the Navy but i've seen the multiple successes so he must be doing a good job.

Kraketopia continues to shine as our Grand Admiral. His list of accomplishments has never been short, making Europeia a driving force in NationStates Gameplay. As a result, he secured the second highest score of the administration.

Everyone can see he is doing his job with regular updates, though there was a call for more initiative from the Grand Admiral.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the overall performance of the entire administration?

Average: 7.4

Taking an actual average of all the Executive members’ average scores in this poll, the result is 6.9, a lower score than the 7.4 of the average of this particular question. While there doesn’t have to be a correlation to these two scores-they could be incidental-it is still fascinating to conjecture what might have caused this half a point difference in averages.

Perhaps the positive attitude of those polled and fact of the region doing quite well for this term have something to do with the slightly higher score.

What would you say the positives of the Europeian Standard were this term?
It existed.

The one issue that was published this term was well-received.

It was consistent.

I thought it was perceptive and unbiased.

It's a little weird with it being bounced between Comm and FA. I think that is something that may need a bit more tweaking to really make work right. But they did manage to get their monthly editions out, though I think the latest release is still pending in the FA.

Got off the ground and some interesting articles. Finally convincing the region that monthly articles rather than rushing out poor content is the way to go was key.

They were active most of the time and had no negatives that I could think of.

The Euro Standard put forward a number of thoughtful articles from a variety of sources.

I have no comments, mostly because I never noticed any issues being published. I would say this counts as a massive failure then.

The comments on the Europeian Standard that were positive point to interesting articles that were unbiased. Its start is good at the least. Within the positives were a bit of criticism which can be better handled by the next question in the poll.

What would you say the negatives of the Europeian Standard were this term?
Taking a long time to publish more

I'd like to see more depth and variation.

There weren't really any negatives, so far it's gathered positive reception internationally. I suppose we could ask for more frequent editions, but I'd hate to see the quality slip.

Not too much on domestic stuff.

We could've used another issue or two

It was practically invisible. Which seems like an unmitigated failure for an international paper.

We've only published one paper this term.

It seems a bit too short. The last one only had one editorial and one interview.

Not really a diss at the ES itself, but there wasn't much in the way of private media articles for it to pull from, and I think the ES only having the official government voice hurts it a bit.

The negatives taken from the last question and this one seem to be that the Europeian Standard needs more issues without losing quality, more diversification from the private media, and definitely needs more publicizing.
Making the paper more visible on Gameside and in the forums would only help the Europeian Standard become the source for Europeia culture it is meant to be.

What would you say the positives of mixlr were this term?
When it was on, it was great - domestic content or the discussion panels with non-Europeians

The show with Mal and Sopo were both pretty decent, though prolly would've benefited from more audience interaction. Carrot also has used Mixlr for MinCult which is good. But.... (see negatives)

It's a great thing to take part in and listen to.

Good to see Culture using Mixlr more.

It is reliable and a great tool that we have.

Content is always great. Interviews are interesting and in depth, and entertainment shows are hilarious.

We've started using it for more causal stuff, a little.

Everyone agreed the content for the Mixlr was good, especially given the Ministry of Culture becoming involved in it. It is one of our best tools in our arsenal still.

What would you say the negatives of mixlr were this term?
It's hard to make it to the community ones.

there we less programs

Mixlr just wasn't used by any governmental staff OR private person to its potential this term. I don't know if its format, or timing, or what.

Not much going on that interests me.

This term's mixlr content just didn't live up to the content saw a couple of terms ago.

Not enough content..

It was notably absent, especially on the non cultural side.

The departures of Sopo and Notolecta.

Once the main people that drove our shows went away, it fell off. Hard to replace

A lack of regular programming.

Regular programming is what is really missing from the Mixlr. It simply wasn’t available and running as much as it needed to, mostly from a lack from two of its main supporters, Notolecta and Sopo.

A regular schedule for the Mixlr with dedicated people will get this program off the ground and running easily.

Do you think the Ministries of Regional Recruitment and Citizen Integration should stay separate?

Most Popular Answer: Indifferent

Why do you feel this way, for the previous question?
I think they should stay separate in theory but could easily be headed by the same minister. It's genuinely not hard to do both at once. Didn't this used to be the same office long ago? Work smarter.

Recruitment and Citizen Integration are two completely different things. Also, I don't want people having too many things on their plate.

I like the idea in principle, but Citizen Integration needs to do a lot more to justify its existence. There are potentially some jurisdiction issues in that most of what it does overlaps with one or both of recruitment and culture.

I wouldn't be opposed to them merging again, but it doesn't really bother me that they are separate either.

Recruitment and Integration really have a united mission: to get us new citizens and to keep our new citizens. Typically, a citizen's career starts out with receiving a telegram and moving to the region. For the Ministry of Recruitment, this is a success and their job is done. CitInt then pushes them to join the forum, and gets them involved on the forum. However, if we had the ministries merged, I feel like the effort would be more united. Interior sends the telegram, they move, Interior comes back and welcomes them and encourages them to register on the forum, they register, Interior comes back and urges them to get involved with CSO, the CA, and ERN.

they are two entirely difrent things that require people with entirely diferent skills.

These ministries just don't do anything, the claim is there is more they can do, but we never actually see that materialize. There is barely enough work for one ministry.

Most of the region said they were indifferent to the Ministry of Recruitment and Citizen Integration being combined. They, however, then went on to point out that while the two Ministries were separate entities, the Ministry of Citizen Integration simply wasn’t doing enough to warrant it being separate.

The Ministry of Citizen Integration needs something instilled that enables it to act for the benefit of the region, or it needs to become part of the Ministry of Recruitment again.

Do you believe the region is on the right track?

Most Popular Answer: Yes

If the election were held today, without knowing any of the candidates, would you reelect President Writinglegend?

Most Popular Answer: Yes

Regarding the previous two questions, how much influence did Writinglegend's term have on state of the region?
I believe Writinglegend's term has been a great influence on the state of the region.
Well, I was on an extended leave for the previous Presidential term, so I can't say.

A lot. He is the leader of the region so a good president generaly equals a good region.

Other than a few good international agreements (Whitehall was a good moment for WL), this term has been less focused on the executive and much more on the legislative side by the public. In some ways, that's good because it meant that the Executive hasn't messed anything up where people are noticing/making a fuss over it. Downside also means that it doesn't really give strong feelings one way or another either. Just kinda was.

Well he set a lot in motion last term, but there was already a lot to build upon

Compared to ... what? The President and VP/Cabinet do have a great impact on the goals of the government, but we've survived bad Presidents before and we likely will again. There wasn't anything earth-shattering this term, in my view.

Very big influence.

Influence.

I feel this was a consolidation term. It was important after a rush of development last term, but we need to move into a new period of growth next term.

Writinglegend helped bring the region back on track from a bit of a slump following Sopo's presidency, and the region is that more vibrant because of it.

What kind of question is this? All the influence.

Lots

Well, we're in a better place than we were about a year ago. So I would guess it's a good thing.

Ultimately, it's stagnation that has us off track and while WL hasn't fixed stagnation it's not really his fault it exists.

I think WL kept things moving in the right direction. We didn't see any huge changes this term, but he's certainly added value to our region.

I think he's been a stable force. Nothing extremely good or bad.

Everyone agreed that he did have influence on the region, but they seemed to disagree on how much. While some citizens argued the question was moot because every President influences the region, some said that while a President does influence the region, President Writinglegend couldn’t specifically target the stagnation that currently plagues the region. They argued that his term was in a suspension of activity from last term.

How much influence did your perception of the state of the region have on whether or not you would re-elect Writinglegend?
If he's leading the ship, and the ship is sailing in the right direction, then he can stay on as captain for another leg of the trip

A lot. He is the leader of the region so a good president generaly equals a good region.

My perception on the state of the region was tremendous.

Very little.

None

Perception.

Very little.

Not much. I could be persuaded to vote for another candidate but I think WL has demonstrated he's capable. He's just lost some momentum and he'll need to facilitate a course correction.

He's kept everything stable. Probably wouldn't hurt him to be a bit more tough on his Ministers though.

I was actually not a citizen when WL was first elected, but he's done great job.

Enough. I would like to see someone breathe a little more life into things rather than just being the caretaker.

Meh.

Some. Obviously the condition of the state is going to impact my opinion of the person in charge, but I'll make exceptions if that person is trying and succeeding but they're facing overwhelming odds, or if the state is doing very well but the leadership is absent.

WL has done a good job, but not good enough for automatic reelection. I would vote for him again, but I think a case could be made for a solid challenger. I am happy overall with his performance
The region's doing great, Writinglegend is a great leader, and I somehow don't think he'll face much competition for this election.

A lot.

Whereas the reaction to the last question was that the answer was obvious, this one doesn’t seem so obvious. While most people agree that the President influences the region, they don’t agree that their opinion of the state of the region influences their choice of President. This is likely caused by the stagnation of the region itself. Since the region neither failed nor flourished under President Writinglegend’s term, most agree that their decision isn’t influenced by the state of the region.

Of the following, who would you like to see as a Presidential candidate in this election?

Top Five: Calvin Coolidge (11), Drecq (10), Malashaan (10), Kraketopia (9), Mousebumples (9)

Write-in Candidates: Kaboomlandia, GraVandius, and Erebos

With eleven votes, Vice President Calvin Coolidge brushes ahead of Drecq and Malashaan for candidacy, though Kraketopia and Mousebumples are not far behind.

Please include here any comments on the poll, the past term, or the election.
The scale of 10 isn't reliable or standard enough to tell us anything. Your poll sucks.

cool poll. I would like to see serious canidates run aginst WL and Calvin

I think we can all agree that we want to see more candidates run against Writinglegend and Calvin Coolidge. Hopefully we see some during the standing for Presidency occurring right now!

My thanks once again to Kuramia for her wonderful analysis, and until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, reminding you to get involved.

I've said before that I think the scale of ten is a borderline useless metric. I think that reality is largely reflected in the results here. I'm sure some people disagree with me but that level of interpretation just doesn't lend itself to thoughtful insight. A '7' means something different for all of us and it always will. I hope we can move away from this sort of response method in the future to a method that produces a more definitive and standard set of data to draw conclusions from.

CSP it's more useful than your scale because we have a history using this format that we can compare back to. You like your format better, then use it, let others use the formats they choose don't bring up how you think it's useless multiple times and even put it in one of your responses to the poll.

Notolecta said:
CSP it's more useful than your scale because we have a history using this format that we can compare back to. You like your format better, then use it, let others use the formats they choose don't bring up how you think it's useless multiple times and even put it in one of your responses to the poll.
I think it's perfectly appropriate for me to comment on the methodology used for polls, especially when that methodology is used often by my government. It's something I know a bit about and it's something I have a stake in. I don't think it's your place to tell me what I should or shouldn't say or where I should say it. Don't let me distract you from your curmudgeonly existence though.

Except you aren't just saying your opinion their CSP, you straight up said that this system is useless and demanded it be ceased. There is a difference between stating your opinion and shoving your views down peoples throats.

Thanks Cal, and your assistants, for your work.

People will have to read my End of Term piece tomorrow evening for my more in-depth reply.

Back