Senate Poll Shows Large Lead For Two Candidates

Monkey

we want YOU to be a dee gee too
Citizen
HEM, Calvin Coolidge Projected To Fill Senate Seats in Double By-Election
Written by Monkey

Published 5 May 2021

Demographics:
This poll had 26 responses. With the previous elections/referendum votes seeing 50 votes, this poll likely only captures about half of potential voters on voting day. The poll was mostly even between those younger than 2 years and older than 2 years. Over 75% of responses indicated they preferred political gameplay. There were no obvious trends here, other than nearly every 2+ year old member indicating they favored political gameplay.

Less than two years - 11 (42.3%)

Gameplay:
Political - 20 (76.9%)
Social - 6 (23.1%)

Election Results:
Both elections have an obvious frontrunner, with HEM gaining a comfortable majority of 65.4%, and Calvin passing with a majority of 57.7%. I'll just take a moment here to point out the I included all first round candidates in the second round as well, where HEM won nearly a quarter of votes. Assuming these numbers hold and HEM wins the first round, it's not clear where these votes would go to.

First Round:
HEM - 17 (65.4%)

Rotasu - 8 (30.8%)
Olde Delaware -1 (3.8)%

Second Round:
Calvin Coolidge - 15 (57.7%)

HEM - 6 (23.1%)
Rotasu - 4 (15.4%)
Olde Delaware - 1 (3.8%)

Important Issues:

Oversight - 14 (53.8%)
Compelling Testimony - 13 (50%)
Honored Expansion Amendment - 12 (46.2%)
Foreign Disclosure - 11 (42.3%)
Information Reform Amendment - 10 (38.5%)
Arnhelm Discussion - 5 (19.2%)

• od is cool
  • So hard to choose my vote! Would be easier if there were any GOTV efforts from candidates
  • I'm pleased to see OD stepping up. He's looked very comfortable as an armchair quarterback the last few months. Time to walk the walk.
  • I don't agree with Calvin on much of anything but I trust him to be active and that's what the Senate needs right now. If Malashaan weren't there, I probably wouldn't vote for him but he is so I will. Also looking at Rot because HEM's activity is a pretty big question mark.
  • OD is doing a pretty poor job garnering goodwill before this election

Hm, interesting results! I marked "Information Reform Amendment" as my only important issue, but I've been a bit disappointed with the engagement on it in the campaign. It's a large piece of legislation with quite a few substantive changes, and I'd like to see more debate and discussion about the issues and impact around it.

I'll be honest, i'm bummed to see HEM and Calvin running. They're amazing candidates in their own right and of course we can expect the Senate to do good things with them in those seats. But still, I'd like to see more new people taking a stab at the Senate. 30 days is a great chance to get your feet wet and make a name for yourself. I'd also like to see what Rot could do with 30 days to re-acclimate and jump back into the political side.

If you take nothing else from this once in a lifetime by election, if you're a new person please consider jumping in. Even a loss gets your name out there.

I'll be honest, i'm bummed to see HEM and Calvin running. They're amazing candidates in their own right and of course we can expect the Senate to do good things with them in those seats. But still, I'd like to see more new people taking a stab at the Senate. 30 days is a great chance to get your feet wet and make a name for yourself. I'd also like to see what Rot could do with 30 days to re-acclimate and jump back into the political side.

If you take nothing else from this once in a lifetime by election, if you're a new person please consider jumping in. Even a loss gets your name out there.
I've brushed off your constant slew of "I hate you//why do you hate me" comments since I entered the race because I haven't been sure whether they are a joke or not, but now that they morphed into "you should be letting new members have a chance" I feel I owe it to folks to respond broadly here.

I try to be very thoughtful about the roles I seek. I was once known for a lot of resignations, but I feel that hasn't been the case in recent years, because I step back when I need to and weigh my availability and the pros/cons of any bids pretty carefully. There have been lots of instances in recent months I have been asked to run for Senate, or President, and I haven't because I either saw stronger candidates for the moment or knew I didn't have the capacity to do a good job.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last time I ran for Senate was in December 2018 when I was looking to complete the reform agenda that would eventually become the executive split. I reluctantly accepted the Speakership after the previous speaker flamed out, as the only consensus pick agreeable to pro and anti reformers. I delivered on a reform agenda — one of the most contentious policy issues in regional history — and then stepped down as Speaker to pave the way for a new generation.

If it isn't acceptable to throw my hat in the ring again after two and a half years, is there ever an acceptable time for me to run for Senate? :p

And finally, of course I urge every single person interested to run. Run, run, run. We haven't had coronations in Europeia since 2007, and for every four times we have a predictable election there's one election with a dramatic reversal where a darkhorse with motivation confounds expectations. I encourage anyone interested in getting a tase of our thrilling and fantastic democratic process to enter the race — we'll all be better for it. But I'm still running because I believe I'm the best candidate for the role and for the moment — I hope that's okay :p

Oversight is such a made up priority. When that’s the biggest priority, you’d think we have a rogue executive out there doing all manner of things detrimental to the region. Truth is, the executive is pretty doggone well-behaved and this fascination with oversight seems contrived because they can’t think of anything else.

You're not wrong, in a lot of ways, but just because oversight has rarely been needed doesn't mean it should just be ignored.

That's true enough ... but also not saying that. Simply saying the Senate should just stop talking about it like they need more tools. They don't - they just need to conduct it.

It's a really weird thing. They keep talking about needing to do more for executive oversight ... yet it is the institution itself that needs to do it. At some point, just stop talking about it, and do it. Which, they already do.

It's just making stuff up for activity purposes but not delivering value to the region.

Also - good to see you back!

"I'd like to see more new people standing for Senate," says the Senate candidate who's been in Europeia since 2009 or 2010, and played NS since at least 2006. :p

"I'd like to see more new people standing for Senate," says the Senate candidate who's been in Europeia since 2009 or 2010, and played NS since at least 2006. :p
2008 and 2004 :p

So Lethen was being nice then.

So Lethen was being nice then.
Lethen is always...well mostly...hmm

I've brushed off your constant slew of "I hate you//why do you hate me" comments since I entered the race because I haven't been sure whether they are a joke or not, but now that they morphed into "you should be letting new members have a chance" I feel I owe it to folks to respond broadly here.

I try to be very thoughtful about the roles I seek. I was once known for a lot of resignations, but I feel that hasn't been the case in recent years, because I step back when I need to and weigh my availability and the pros/cons of any bids pretty carefully. There have been lots of instances in recent months I have been asked to run for Senate, or President, and I haven't because I either saw stronger candidates for the moment or knew I didn't have the capacity to do a good job.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last time I ran for Senate was in December 2018 when I was looking to complete the reform agenda that would eventually become the executive split. I reluctantly accepted the Speakership after the previous speaker flamed out, as the only consensus pick agreeable to pro and anti reformers. I delivered on a reform agenda — one of the most contentious policy issues in regional history — and then stepped down as Speaker to pave the way for a new generation.

If it isn't acceptable to throw my hat in the ring again after two and a half years, is there ever an acceptable time for me to run for Senate? :p

And finally, of course I urge every single person interested to run. Run, run, run. We haven't had coronations in Europeia since 2007, and for every four times we have a predictable election there's one election with a dramatic reversal where a darkhorse with motivation confounds expectations. I encourage anyone interested in getting a tase of our thrilling and fantastic democratic process to enter the race — we'll all be better for it. But I'm still running because I believe I'm the best candidate for the role and for the moment — I hope that's okay :p

I'd also like to just pop in and say that I genuinely love that HEM is coming back into the government, and it was one of the things that I wanted to achieve with the Monarchist party way back when, though that certainly did not pan out :p

Though Senate was not quite what I was thinking :p I'm glad to see you involved again!

So you're making my comment more pointed? :p

So you're making my comment more pointed? :p
Ya prob, though I know what you were getting at

Back