Associate Justice
Senator
Cabinet
Deputy Minister
Citizen
Senate Poll Results: A Wide Open Race
Poll Results Show Few Frontrunners But Many Contenders
By Lime

From the 23rd to the 25th of October, EuroWeekly held a poll looking at who the region would like to see run in the upcoming Senate Election. Overall, the poll received a total of 23 responses. Results from this poll should be taken with a pinch of salt, as with all polls in Europeia there is no way to scientifically conduct them. The response rate is also slightly lower than what Europeian polls typically receive, with most polls receiving 25 - 30 responses. This should also be noted when reading the results.

Incumbent Senators

As noted when opening the poll, it seems highly likely that most of the current Senate does not run for re-election. It is perhaps because of this belief amongst respondents, that half of the incumbent Senators preform quite poorly when respondents were asked to list who they would like to see run for re-election. Darkslayer, Aexnidaral, and Forilian are all below the 50% range and this will be a worrying sign if any of them wishes to run for re-election. Darkslayer has already announced that he does not intend to run for re-election, and this has likely impacted his performance here as respondents know he does not wish to run for re-election and they are therefore less likely to say they want to see him run. Similarly, both Aexnidaral and Forilian have said they are unlikely to seek re-election so this may have also affected their results. Istilian and Josi both receive healthy figures in the 65% - 70% range, although in a close election this numbers could be a concern for both. We asked respondents who they would like to see run for re-election, not who they would vote for, and while it is likely most of these numbers would transfer over to a re-election question, it is not a guarantee that all of them would.

Istilian has not made a comment about how likely he is to run for re-election, and given his broadly popular approval rating these numbers are not too surprising. Josi, while she suggested she may not seek re-election, was only recently elected to the Senate in a by-election and that again likely impacts on her numbers as having just comfortably elected her, it is unlikely voter enthusiasm for her would have worn off so soon. The overwhelming leader in this question however, is Malashaan with around 80% of respondents saying they would like to see him run for re-election. Malashaan, a giant of the Senate, is very similar to Istilian in that he has yet to state how likely he is to run for re-election, and has strong approval ratings. This are all likely to contribute to his numbers here, as will his legislative reputation which likely explains why he is so much further ahead of his fellow Senators.

Non-Senators

The clear favourite amongst respondents when asked which non-Senators they would like to see run in the upcoming election is SkyGreen, with just over 70% of respondents listing him. This would place him over all other incumbent Senators bar Malashaan, which is something no other hypothetical candidate was able to do. SkyGreen has stated they are planning to run for the Senate which is likely to have contributed to his numbers, as will have their very high approval ratings as MoWAA. Former Speaker Lloenflys isn't too far behind SkyGreen at roughly 60%, and former Minister of Communications Xecrio came in third at 52%. While neither has made any obvious signs that they wish to return to the Senate, Lloenflys was a very popular Speaker and Senator and Xecrio has made clear that he has returned to full activity in the region, which may have caused some to speculate a potential Senate run.

Many hypothetical candidates including Calvin, Le Libertie and Seva poll within the 40% range, with even more just under it at 39% including Bronyleader, Lime and Sopo - a sign of how open this election could be. Most of these candidates are former Senators, three of whom (Calvin, Sopo and Lime) were just recently a part of the Senate which may have impacted on their numbers, respondents are more likely to list names they associate with the Senate and having just recently served, their names are likely to be fresh in voters minds. Seva and Bronyleader have never served in the Senate before, however both could be seen as up and coming members so it is not surprising many respondents would like to see them both seek elected office. Le Libertie, while a former Senator, re-joined the region relatively recently and has yet to return to public office, so respondents may be keen for a come back from him. GraVandius a former Speaker, and Monkey former Vice President, both also polled fairly close to this group of candidates. GraVandius failed to win a seat in the recent by-election, and Monkey was a potential Cabinet nominee in the past Presidential election, signifying that both are still interested in public office.

Finally, JayDee and Kharn both poll at the same level, while Ervald falls just behind them. All are active in Eurochat, and JayDee and Ervald are both former Senators. While none have made any indication that they wish to run for Senate, it is not too surprising that some respondents would like to see active members become more involved in the region, although they would all likely be underdogs in any hypothetical run. Baobab comes in last place with just a single mention.

Kharn! Go Kharn! Go against him; he'll shoot himself in the foot!
Feel like this upcoming senate is a great opportunity for newer members, but I'd also want to make sure some steady hands make it in to keep the ship steady
no comments.

Priorities and Issues in the Next Senate

All respondents say that they are looking for a mixture of newcomers and first time Senators, and older more experienced Senators. This isn't surprising in the slightest, respondents tend to go for the "middle" or "neutral" option when asked questions like these. Had the question forced respondents to pick either the older or newer option, we would have better been able to determine what kind of the Senate the region wishes to elect. Never the less, we can still take the responses at face value and see that the region is looking for a Senate that contains both newcomers as well as older members. This again suggests that this upcoming election will be wide open, as the region doesn't appear to desire one group of members over the other.

Same comment as above: Feel like this upcoming senate is a great opportunity for newer members, but I'd also want to make sure some steady hands make it in to keep the ship steady
I would prefer a Senate with more newcomers/first time Senators with perhaps an experienced Speaker
I think the number of first time senators should be larger than returning ones but we need some old senators for topics which need more experience

Inactivity
The senate has been slow lately, not much comes to mind
I hope to see the Status of Treaties finalized during the next term.
Finding good replacements for senators that will not run for reelection.
Finding people who will run

Last edited:
Very nice write-up. I'd just like to point out that I've never actually been in the Senate, at least, not in Europeia anyway.

Very nice write-up. I'd just like to point out that I've never actually been in the Senate, at least, not in Europeia anyway.
Whoops. I thought you had. 👀

Edited.

I actually had no idea about a lot of these potential candidates' plans for next term, so I'm glad they've been published here on the forum. Knowing them, these poll results paint a nice picture of what next term could realistically look like. Good stuff, Lime.

I will not be running. But I'd encourage anyone interested to step up!

Great article! Gave a good picture of what the field might look like

I won't be running either. I've had to narrow my NS commitments with school ramping up. But I'd also like to encourage anyone to run! Certainly, the field is open.

Also, providing an easy compromise option is almost too alluring. The 100% pie chart is amusing, but useless.

Thanks for the write-up! It was certainly an interesting one and I didn't think my name would be thrown around like it was for this term.

I'm not willing to say one way or the other as I'm still thinking it over myself, however I will say that I'm certainly looking at the idea of a Senate run if I can throw something together and believe I'll have the time to serve at full capacity. My biggest issue is whether or not my mother's Minecraft addiction will end up (words I never thought I'd say) will start to take less time or not. I've been spending 6 hours a day playing it with her and, thanks to the fact I sleep during the day, my only real productive time is being shot right now.

Long story short I'd love to run this term, however I'm not sure I'll be able to split my time between my mother, Arnhelm, and the Senate. We're going to just have to wait and see. Either way, please run if you're interested in doing so. I'd rather have to go through the platforms of too many candidates than not enough for a full Senate.

Wonderful article and write-up, thanks Lime!

My biggest issue is whether or not my mother's Minecraft addiction will end up (words I never thought I'd say) will start to take less time or not. I've been spending 6 hours a day playing it with her and, thanks to the fact I sleep during the day, my only real productive time is being shot right now.

Oh my, that's quite sweet. Did you introduce her to it?

Wonderful article and write-up, thanks Lime!

My biggest issue is whether or not my mother's Minecraft addiction will end up (words I never thought I'd say) will start to take less time or not. I've been spending 6 hours a day playing it with her and, thanks to the fact I sleep during the day, my only real productive time is being shot right now.

Oh my, that's quite sweet. Did you introduce her to it?
It took me months of convincing her that she'd like it, however I finally got her to play it once and now she wants to play it every day.

I'm going to vote for @Kharn. We're allowed write-ins right?

Back