former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network - "Senate Elections Conclude -- ENN looks at the results"
Written by HEM Tiberius

Another election has ended in Europeia, and this Senate election seemed to be a bit more eventful than the last few prior.

This election saw the return of only one incumbent -- Senate Speaker Drecq -- who has been running the Senate Floor since the semi-retirement of longtime Senator Malashaan in late October.

Senator Modern Sin initially entered the race for re-election, but backed out due to real life concerns. In the biggest upset of the night, Senator Charlotte was defeated in her re-election bid by newcomer Raging Zen Master, who edged out the incumbent by five votes.

Artmis, Notelecta, and Lethen declined to seek another term.

Why did Charlotte lose?

Charlotte has been a fairly active member of Europeia, including heavy participation in our Skype group chat.

"Charlotte is an incredibly bright and valuable member of the region," ENN contributor Paul Krugman says, "The problem is that this Senate term was near lethargic, and she appeared to be more apart of the problem than the solution. President Anumia's urging her to vote on his Cabinet Nominations in the 'standing' thread was not a good start."

Through the campaign, Charlotte failed to create a standing thread or to answer any questions posed to her. This, coupled with a very strong newcomer to the race, edged her out of her seat.

"Unlike some elections," Krugrman continues, "I don't think there is any ill will toward her from the voters. I think they just recognized she didn't have the time to do the job at this point in time."

In the Skype group chat, Charlotte has indicated that she intended to drop out of the race before the polls opened.

Her sucessor is a new Europeian named Raging Zen Master. Boasting just under 50 posts he is one of the youngest Europeians to enter the legislature in a long time. Despite his brevity in the region, many "veterans" have attested to his intellectual mind and friendly demeanor. RZM ran a campaign focused on his accomplishments in Nationstates so far, and what he hopes to contribute to the Senate through working and learning.

Senatorial Profiles

Other Senators elected include Communications Minister Kraketopia, former Grand Admiral Elias Greyjoy, former President Sopo, and incumbent Grand Admiral Cerain Quilor.

"What is interesting," former TV personality Jay Leno says, "Is that the Senate pre and post election seem to have the same balance of experienced hands and new talent. Even though Lethen and Modern Sin left the legislature, they were replaced by Sopo and Elias Greyjoy who have incredible legislative experience. Cerain Quilor is no novice to the Senate either. But the Senate has also retained two newer members in Kraketopia and RZM."

Does the new Senate seem more pro-legislature reform?

"A little bit," former UK Prime Minister John Major says, "I think Elias Greyjoy's victory shows that there is some thirst for reform, but probably not ERC sized reform."

The ERC, or Europeian Reform Coalition, is a mostly defunct political party focused on passing a substantial amendment to the Europeian Constitution to overall the body. Few, at this point, think support for such a thing still exists.

"Its not on anyone's radar," Paul Krugman says, "Europeia has always been a region of skeptics, and people are not convinced the grass is greener on the other side."

RZM is also a Whovian. I support him fully on that merit alone.

Nice article HEM.

I think we might have the rising of a new political party to power in Euro, as the LBPP now boasts two Senators. ;)

Anyhow, this was a good article, HEM. Nice work. :)

Back