Scrutinizing The Satire: Sopo As Resignation King?

HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"Scrutinizing The Satire: Sopo As Resignation King?"
HEM
Op-Ed
Managing Editor

In late April, Sopo announced his intentions on EBC Radio to run for Chief of State. The remainder of the show, originally billed as speculation, quickly transitioned into Calvin and myself speculating not only whether someone would choose to run against Sopo, but whether anybody even could.

Sopo's electoral fortunes had been riding high. He recently won a Senate seat in a Senate term that seemed destined to trumpet reform. He had gotten approval to assemble a research committee to survey popular opinions on various reforms. He had cruised to victory as a part of the First Minister ticket with Maowi. Generally speaking, Sopo had found the Europeian sweet spot where he was social enough to have good relationships with nearly all the members, but politically-minded enough to keep his focus on governmental work and achievement.

But there had been some stumbling blocks. Sopo was generally seen as doing a middling job when he inherited the First Minister role after Maowi's sudden resignation. He later resigned from that role, making way for a fresh perspective from DAX who was widely seen as successfully rallying the back half of the term, and while announcing his Chief of State run he declared he was resigning from the Senate to focus on the campaign. This gave his detractors some valid points of criticism, which then-Senator Olde Delaware began pursuing as the radio show kept rolling:

"Sopo running for something and intending on resigning just stops someone new from running because who is going to stand up against Sopo [...] There's honestly nothing funny about running for an office with the intention to resign."

It was a line of attack that seemed to dog Sopo through the campaign, despite few direct questions being asked about it. While it's tough to determine in politics where a valid concern ends and a political attack begins, Sopo found himself pushing back against false statements that claimed he always "resigned due to RL then ran for office again," or tried to assign motive like "running for office while intending to resign." Despite closing the final days of the campaign with broad popular support, Sopo lost the Senate vote -- notably including the votes of two Senators who later resigned themselves.

But, like many tropes in Europeian politics, this line of attack has seemingly been immortalized in a culture of inside jokes, memes, and tongue-in-cheek references. While I've been at the butt of many of these jokes myself (yes, half a decade later I'm still deleting the EBC), this one is far more politically salient, and with multiple references to it in EuroChat in the past week alone, I think it's a record worth correcting.

**​

Sopo has served as President on four separate occasions and never resigned once -- though in his first term the atmosphere of the region was so toxic hardly anyone could've blamed him for doing so. His next two terms were aggressively middling, though in both instances he was responsible for elevating Vice Presidents who then became influential Presidents in their own right. In 2013 it was Vinage, and in 2015 it was the later icon, Writinglegend.

When Sopo rose to power for his fourth term in 2018, it was, ironically, due to a series of resignations.

A foreign affairs crisis had been brewing between Europeia and our erstwhile ally Osiris. A dispute over a joint operation between Osiris and Europeia's inter-regional military alliance (the "IJCC" which included Europeia, Balder, and The Land of Kings and Emperors) had exploded into allegations of lying and deception. As the matter gained tension and steam, President Ervald resigned from office citing pressure from the work and having to "deal with issues before they spin out of control."

And this issue was very much spinning out of control.

His Vice President, Drexlore, then took office and established communication with Osiris over the dispute. However, unknown to the rest of the Europeian foreign affairs apparatus in the region, Drexlore began ignoring repeated entreaties from the Pharaoh of Osiris until days quickly became multiple weeks of silence.

When Osiris decided to publicly end the alliance with Europeia, it was opportunistic to be sure. To focus on the silence of Europeia's President when other officials were trying to manage the crisis presented an incomplete picture, but it was nevertheless a damning one. Under pressure for domestic inactivity, real life stressors, and this new foreign affairs crisis, President Drexlore followed his predecessor in resigning, leaving his newly-confirmed Vice President, Sopo, at the helm.

There were a fair number of questions about whether the region would survive. The executive government had been paralyzed in place for nearly a month. Osiris ditched their alliance with Europeia, would others follow? Would there even be enough domestic activity to slog on?

Sopo was the stopgap for all those fears. Only months later, Europeia would be leading the world in a war against The New Pacific Order and domestic activity would grow with vigorous discussions on reforms like the eventual executive split. He certainly didn't turn water into wine, but his two terms at the helm served a firewall against the chaos and apathy that threatened to consume Europeia. It was hard work, and it was good work.

Partially through Kuramia’s term as Europeia’s final President (until later this month…) Sopo stepped down as Minister of Foreign Affairs, after the war with The New Pacific had been brought to a successful close.

After a brief break he returned to public life, serving the region as Second Minister and Councilor of External Engagement. And he didn't resign again until that fateful day when he announced he was stepping down as First Minister in favor of his deputy, DAX.

**​

“When I took office as first minister three weeks ago, I felt bound by duty to take up the mantle of leadership again for the good of our republic. Nonetheless, I don’t think I’m the man for the moment. The reason Maowi and I originally flipped our ticket was to bring a new generation of leadership to the fore. After considering the challenges that lie ahead, my own motivations, and what I think is a genuine yearning in the region for the next generation to step up, I have decided to resign.

I fully believe that Dax is prepared to serve as first minister, bringing a level of enthusiasm to the office that I cannot.” -- Sopo, on resigning as First Minister

Maowi's resignation has seemingly come out of nowhere, and a term that was meant to symbolize a new generation taking the mantle was once more in the hands of a steely veteran.

While the merits of Sopo’s resignation are fully up for debate, what isn’t up for debate was the ultimate outcome. DAX left office with critical acclaim from the region, setting the stage of the long-term boom the region is still experiencing up to this day.

Sopo didn’t recklessly leave office just for the lulz, and he didn’t poorly misjudge his RL time constraints -- though that would be reasonable given his abrupt elevation. He assessed the regional situation and made the best decision he could with the information he had.

**​

I said it in the first few hundred words of this piece, but it bears repeating: resignations are worth scrutiny and criticism.

Resigning from two offices in succession isn’t a good look, and the logic behind Sopo’s Senate resignation immediately prior to running for higher office did come off as bewildering and flimsy. But the long term cultural impact of the criticism Sopo received during one campaign for one office doesn’t, in my mind, rise up to the historical record.

Far be it from me to be the arbiter of what jokes, memes and humor are allowed to persist in Europeia. If I had it my way, we’d just all be repeating funny lines from The West Wing. But the relationship between comedy and political outcomes can be a intertwined one, which is why I felt it was important to give a little more context to this particular joke. What you do with it, is totally up to you.

-30-​

Really refreshing take on a joke that’s been thrown around in Discord pretty often recently. This was an awesome read, I really enjoyed it!!

As always, HEM delivers another fantastic article. Glad to see this counter the recent narrative.

It was mostly just a convenient line of attack to swiftboat Sopo. I know I meme about it because I think it's fairly ludicrous and funny that he gets dogged for it when plenty of others do the same thing, only far more often. I think Sopo embracing the meme and memeing it himself kind of shows how silly and dumb it was, overall lol

Great article. I think it's vital to set in context and I'm glad you did. The accusations, particularly where they edged into the political realm, were always somewhat injust.

This was great! Is #BlameSopo still cool?

Standing up for your homies is good. As an aside, I've heard it twice now since I've been back and I'm concerned about it...do we honestly think we "led the world" in the NPO conflict? Nobody thinks that outside of Europeia, because it's absurd. The fallout of that conflict is also a much more mixed bag than bringing the war to a "successful conclusion". We should exercise caution in how we characterize that period, in my opinion. Anyway, we can argue about that another time I suppose.

I still feel bad for resigning so suddenly and so soon and leaving Sopo in that position that term, so particularly in light of that I don't really understand why his own resignation, which seems to me a self-aware and honest decision, was used as a line of criticism against him. Thanks for this article HEM, nicely written.

This was a fantastically right article HEM. I fully believe that if it wasn't for Sopo's amazing leadership during his Presidential terms in 2018 that Europeia would have died off that year. At the very least, I think the region would have fallen so low we would never have fully recovered from it.

Got to echo what Aex has said above; it amuses me to no end how some people drill Sopo for the resignation, but have done so themselves multiple times before. Regardless, good article HEM-- I think this might be a meme which sticks around, but people should definitely understand the context around it.

Standing up for your homies is good. As an aside, I've heard it twice now since I've been back and I'm concerned about it...do we honestly think we "led the world" in the NPO conflict? Nobody thinks that outside of Europeia, because it's absurd. The fallout of that conflict is also a much more mixed bag than bringing the war to a "successful conclusion". We should exercise caution in how we characterize that period, in my opinion. Anyway, we can argue about that another time I suppose.

I mean, I don't recall if we were the first region to declare war (I think perhaps one or two had before us) but our declaration definitely served as an inflection point in the conflict where the conversation went from ending alliances/closing embassies to war. Osiris and The Black Hawks were probably the leaders of the wartime coalition -- until TBH got kicked out. But Europeia was certainly up there in terms of our influence, and definitely not "absurd" to say helped lead a wartime coalition.

As Minister of Foreign Affairs at the time, declaring war was considered a risky strategy at the time but it paid off. Both in terms of bolstering our navy directly, restoring our status an influencer region, and sweeping the whole Osiris drama under the rug.

After we achieved our region's objectives in the war, we withdrew, and the reaction of some to that announcement is probably the "fallout" you are referencing. But I'm not sure that had any long-term consequences, especially as nobody ever...proved us wrong...that the war was still ongoing. We were the first off a sinking ship that had completed it's voyage but insisted on sailing on anyways, which I think was the right call.

Anyway, we can litigate this more later as you say. But I wanted to respond because I think late 2018 - early 2019 is a period of time that is falling from memory pretty quickly but disproportionately important to the region we are today.

You didn't say we helped lead a wartime coalition. You said we led the world. There's a big difference between how those two phrases are heard, especially beyond our borders.

Thanks, HEM. Certainly I am not perfect, but I appreciate you taking the time to write this and for the kind words of others here.

You didn't say we helped lead a wartime coalition. You said we led the world. There's a big difference between how those two phrases are heard, especially beyond our borders.
We were second only to The Black Hawks to declare war on the NPO, and TBH was simply reciprocating the NPO's declaration on them. We identified an existential threat to our existence, Francoism, which had begun to promulgate in other regions aside from The Pacific, and took decisive action. That action was arguably the snowball that became the avalanche that saw major concessions from the NPO and permanent destruction of Francoism as a mainstream ideology. After our declaration, I was a part of the leadership of the wartime coalition that HEM mentioned, and we (shutout to WL in particular) mobilized ~20 WAs to help secure St Abbaddon.

The sour grapes abroad come into play because the wartime coalition sank into internal political squabbles. All reasonable objectives in the conflict had been achieved and any others (destruction of the NPO) were a pipe dream, but a majority of the leadership group, led primarily by Cormac, wanted to continue on toward that impossible goal. Meanwhile, Cormac et. al. removed Souls from the leadership group (against my wishes), marginalizing TBH. Seeing the writing on the wall and feeling we achieved most of what we set out to accomplish, we ended the war on our side, declaring victory. Though we were criticized by others at the time, we were certainly vindicated by the fact that none of the other parties to the conflict accomplished anything after we left.

I do not think saying that we led the world is an overstatement. Some others would prefer to characterize our involvement as more fly-by-night, but that is not a fair representation of our contributions. I will cede that our departure from the war could have been more graceful re: the remaining parties, but I don't think that diminishes our vast contributions to the war or our status as the leader in initiating the conflict.

I fully agree with the article. It's important to know the context of jokes, otherwise people new to the region could understand them in a wrong way. Sopo definitely was a great president, even judging only by historical accounts

When I joined Europeia, Euro was wrapped in "Sopo resigns" memes and "Blame Sopo". While I am guilty of participating in them, in no way has this affected my view of Sopo as a political figure.

I'm not saying it's true for everyone but it might be for someone. And I do like the memes

Back