former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"ENN Presidential Debate Liveblog"

HEM @ 11:20 PM EST:
Good evening ladies and gentlemen! Big surprises, we are back for a last minute debate that includes the new entrants to the Presidential race. Tonight we'll see Monkey join Skygreen, Darcness, and Pichtonia (filling in for Gaudosia) engage in a text-only debate. Stay tuned!

HEM @ 11:23 PM EST: A slight change to the line-up: Darcness is no longer able to participate in the debate, but his running mate UPC will be filling in. This could be a bummer for that ticket, as Darc was the top-scoring debater according to ENN and public polling (though it seems to have made little actual difference).

HEM @ 11:33 PM EST: Candidates are randomly picking numbers to see who goes first for opening statements. Order is: Monkey, Skygreen, Pichto, then UPC (who interestingly elected to go last).

HEM @ 11:38 PM EST: Monkey's opening statement: "stfu about frontier/stronghold so I can just talk to my Ministers about goals. Oh also, remember how Writinglegend is basically the Bernie Sanders of Europeia??? Vote for me kiddos, peace."

HEM @ 11:40 PM EST: UPC's opening statement: "I had a lot less time to pre-type this up like my fellow candidates but here goes nothing: I know the last few weeks have been shit, but under Darc and I, times will become *the* shit. Thank you."

HEM @ 11:42 PM EST: Pichtonia's opening statement: "Hello, yes, I am honored to be here with Gaudosia talking with y'all. Well, no, Gaudosia isn't exactly here...but Gaudosia does represent everything that is active, and good. So wherever you see light, you see Gaudosia. Gaudosia shines brightest in the dark, you know the old saying goes. Anyway."

HEM @ 11:46 PM EST: SkyGreen's opening statement: "I dropped my index cards with my notes somewhere on the way here — or I'm the single, solitary motherf*ck* who didn't pre-write his statement — but either way, great to be here again (ugh)."

HEM @ 11:48 PM EST: First question goes to Monkey, and it's a boring one. Monkey basically summarizes his platform idea of having a FrontierCon to mix and mingle with other UCRs going down the Frontier path.

HEM @ 11:51 PM EST: Lots of anti-frontier folks have put the frontier side in a jam (I'm biased) by essentially forcing everyone to commit to being open to changing their mind on being frontier. It's kinda a faux policy stance in my view, because who on god's green earth is going to commit to never! ever! ever! changing the direction of the train even if it's running off the tracks!!!! Regardless, Skygreen's answer to this very question leaves very little daylight between his stance and Monkey's....something that could be relevant to the Forward Europeia! Party.

HEM @ 11:53 PM EST: Pichto's question was on their ticket's non-aggression pact agenda, which is an early frontrunner for the least consequential question of the whole debate. Not even summarizing his answer, I can't do everything for you slobs.

HEM @ 11:55 PM EST: Take a shot every time UPC mentions "gameside" culture. Need to get nice and toasted before family arrive for Thanksgiving.

HEM @ 12:01 AM EST: Oh god it's time for the "back and forth" portion of this section. Lots of questions flying. Will try to grab some takeaways.

HEM @ 12:02 AM EST: UPC said "gameside culture" again. Shot #2.

HEM @ 12:04 AM EST: Lots of attention directed at Monkey on the FrontierCon. Big question is whether GCRs would be invited, given their knowledge on how to secure a region without a Founder. The bigger question (in my mind) is what incentive would they have to just hand over their secrets to a conference of UCRs lol

HEM @ 12:07 AM EST: I'd say my big takeaway in the Q&A section of the frontier/stronghold portion of the debate is that everyone is really scraping to find daylight between the respective policies...but there isn't much between the frontrunners. Gaudosia and Pichtonia are the only "pro-stronghold" ticket, followed by Darc/UPC who are definitely "stronghold-curious" in the sense that they want to hold a referendum to formally decide our designation, while Skygreen and Monkey are both pretty equally "pro-frontier but willing to change our minds."

HEM @ 12:13 AM EST: Question to Pichto about a program of doing World Assembly mock drafts reminds me of the poor Commend Sopo resolution that got drafted and landed in the WA Discussion Forum like a lead balloon. Poor Sopo :(

HEM @ 12:18 AM EST: UPC has definitely been the candidate submitting his answers the closest to the wire so far. For how long he took, his answer on why his platform offers nothing new on the WAA is essentially a rawr rawr populist speech about how great AMs are oh and also he'll make sure Darcness appoints a competent Minister.

HEM @ 12:22 AM EST: It's another candidate open discussion, and oh boy, participants have definitely been typing furiously and not actually listening to their fellow candidates.

HEM @ 12:26 AM EST: To the benefit of any frontrunners, and to the detriment of any wannabe insurgents, this debate is making it really hard for people to break through. Between so much back and forth and the wide variety in question quality/spiciness, everything has seemed pretty perfunctory so far. Even these follow-up questions of far are simply nit-picking at the already-milquetoast initial questions. Probably good news for Skygreen, on the whole.

HEM @ 12:28 AM EST: An actually interesting question on the WA we should ask candidates: "If the day came where you had to shelve the Pokemon program, what single weapon would you use to defend yourself from Izzy?"

HEM @ 12:31 AM EST: UPC actually tee'd up Monkey for a strong response, quizzing him on his experience in World Assembly Affairs. Monkey pointed to some initiatives he's worked on and got to talk up Writinglegend, the original engineer of the WA Ministry. Monkey had two pretty solid answers in this section's Q&A, actually.

HEM @ 12:34 AM EST: *trumpets sound* Darkslayer: "Hello my fans, my admirers, my lovers. Tis I Darkslayer — the most fabulous moderator in town — and I definitely spent much more time orchestrating this grandiose entrance than thinking of interesting questions to ask you!"

HEM @ 12:38 AM EST: This whole streaming platform committee idea from Darc/UPC is giving me big R&D Ministry vibes — or like Interior research that goes nowhere vibes.

HEM @ 12:41 AM EST: Darkslayer: "I am star. I am a god. I am a thing to behold. There is none so resplendent as I. Also, Monkey, why won't you fail at radio like everyone else?"

HEM @ 12:44 AM EST: Pretty decisive answer from Monkey on Radio, and a significant snipe at Skygreen in saying: "Another key component is hosting radio shows, or stage discussions, on the IRC stage. Anyone's guess as to why it didn't happen, despite being promised during the campaign last election."

HEM @ 12:47 AM EST: There is nothing, nothing, on god's green earth that I can consume that will summon within me even a gassy fart that cares about how many platforms we use for streaming.

HEM @ 12:51 AM EST: Skygreen throws Minister Xecrio under by the bus by blaming him for why a radio stream didn't occur in the IRC server. Skygreen has had a few awkward moments in recent weeks where he has tried to separate himself from Lime/the Lime Administration.

HEM @ 12:55 AM EST: Monkey asked about his stint in TGW. It's a tricky situation, and definitely not great optics, but if folks see it as a disqualifer I feel like we are basically saying anyone who has defended at any time would be barred from high office.

HEM @ 12:58 AM EST: UPC not letting the TGW question go, essentially challenging Monkey on his claim that participation was all in good fun, and accusing him of aiding TGW in their propaganda war.

HEM @ 1:02 AM EST: Pichtonia comes to an....interesting..."defense" of Monkey, saying that he knows him to be "trustworthy" but also the question won't be important for the next term when Monkey continues serving as Speaker (implying that Monkey will lose the election to someone who has never served in governmental office — or another Presidential candidate).

HEM @ 1:06 AM EST: This issue of Monkey's TGW work is going in circles to an extent. Monkey asserts he had no role in planning propaganda, but otherwise just restates his talking points. There is no doubt this is a soft spot in the Monkey/Writinglegend armor, but there could also be a risk of overreaching. Most Europeians have at least tried out other regions (and of those, a high fraction are surely dual citizens), so the sense that eternal and unwavering loyalty is required for elected office might strike an odd note for many.

HEM @ 1:16 AM EST: This "surprise" question on a Naval regulatory bill that just dropped is interesting, but not particularly illuminating given how little time candidates had to read it. Skygreen stands out as supporting it on first blush, while most other candidates were more skeptical.

HEM @ 1:21 AM EST: The galaxy brain take here may be that the impromptu question on something super timely was created to gauge how the candidates reach to high pressure situations. In which case:

— Monkey simply insists on more time to get all the facts
— Skygreen's inclination is to vaguely support something new (needs a reason to oppose it, rather than a reason to support)
— Pichtonia is pretty decisive, and probably acting from experience given his naval and executive experience (two things that would not translate to Gaudosia fwiw)
— UPC wisely answers four minutes after Pichtonia (maybe why he wanted to receive questions last?). Or maybe he's a slow typer with a similar take.

HEM @ 1:25 AM EST: OK now all the candidates are asked what they hate the most about their opponent's platforms.

HEM @ 1:27 AM EST: UPC's question to Pichtonia kinda made me laugh. He asked about Gaudosia's platform idea of him going on a "victory tour" around the world to celebrate his victory — especially when Gaudosia is not particularly well known yet.

HEM @ 1:36 AM EST: A billion questions//concerns roaring back and forth here. Some early highlights:

— UPC taking another crack at Skygreen's participation in Sky Haven (under the guise of military participation)
— Monkey starting off by ignoring questions and restating his major campaign theme of the election being about more than F/S, then accusing Darc of being a giant fraud.
— Pichtonia openly admitting he hasn't read Monkey's platform then trying again to remind people of this messy administration by asking why Skygreen hasn't done more of his ideas as VP.

HEM @ 1:43 AM EST: Some more of the back and forth highlights:

—Monkey fires back at Pichto trying to guilt him about leaving the Speakership: "I am not looking forward to being disappointed by yet another administration next term" (interestingly, this could be attacking Pichto as well as Skygreen).
— Pichto fires back at Monkey for pointing out that Gaudosia wasn't at either debate. Like I said in the last liveblog, I think it's fair that Gaudosia hasn't been able to attend, but for a candidate who really needs to go the extra mile to prove their mettle -- it doesn't help.
— Monkey has really been trying to hammer home the experience angle here. Pivot away from the controversy of his service abroad and point to the countless roles he has held in Europeia. It's smart, and a relatively good comeback to Skygreen's question about whether his platform takes on too much.
— Also some back and forth about a Ministry of Education that will never be tried, fail in one term, and I'm not interested in (sorry Sky!!!!!)

HEM @ 2:09 AM EST: Closing statements! Phew

UPC: Here are some buzzwords, and if those don't convince you, take a gander at this GIF and read our goddamn platform.
Skygreen: We've all been watching the train-wreck of the last term, but I've had to watch it from very, very, very close quarters. I can do better. Also love all my opponents.
Monkey: The last term sucked, y'all weren't cutting it in terms of candidates, so me and Writinglegend are here with the skillz. Oh also, once again, frontier and stronghold isn't everything!!!!!!!!!
Pichto: I can't believe you all got me out of bed for this. Gaudosia and I have lots of ideas, and idea #1 is moving y'all to a better timezone

HEM @ 1:59 PM EST: OK, after sleeping on it, a few final thoughts.

— Hard to even give "grades" here, because I think things were pretty muddy. If I had to rank the performances it would probably be: Monkey, UPC, Pichtonia, Skygreen. But I also think everyone would be clustered around the B- to A- range, so not like a ton of variation.
— I think Monkey had the best command of the debate overall, but he was under the gun a bit for his TGW affiliation (similar to Darc and his EBC stance in the last debate). I also think that the Europeian public is objective enough to say that someone "won" a debate, but still not move toward that person. In the voice debate, Darc seemed to be the winner but Sky almost gained the most ground. And famously, during the final ever Chief of State election, Senator Rotasu went into the debate leaning toward voting Sopo, and he thought that Sopo won the debate, but still left the debate deciding to switch his support to Malashaan. Sometimes these things aren't quite formulaic and impacts can be hard to determine.
— Everyone in this race has an albatross around their neck. Darc/UPC have their EBC policy, Monkey/WL has Monkey's TGW bromance, Skygreen/Istillian has Sky's ties to the Lime Administration, and Gaudosia/Pichtonia has the top of the ticket. I honestly think the election will be decided on those four factors, along with Frontier/Stronghold. That's it. The real question is what are voters going to decide to care about.
— If polling shows Skygreen losing ground, I 100% think it was the last few days of drama with Lime, and not any debate that contributed to it.

Last edited:
UPC is now filling in for Darc. Anyway, yay.

UPC taking another crack at Skygreen's participation in Sky Haven (under the guise of military participation)
I think this has really thrown me to be honest, as many members of government in Europeia, and in the ERN, are part of other military organisations. But the questions toward Sky and Monkey do seem a bit rich coming from UPC, given that he is (or was) a member of a defender military organisation as well.

Both Sky and I are involved with an independent military organisation approved of and made aware of to the ERN - one of the operations Sky Haven was involved in itself was led by UPC acting as the lead of a mercenary company. Again, there is no problem in my mind with any individual acting or operating under the scope of other organisations, or at times in a mercenary capacity, if they're not going against Europeia's foreign interests, but drilling it home as a part of a debate, and within the scope of these platforms just baffles me that it may be seen as problematic, especially when the Paladins in particular have only ever been involved in a mere three operations, all antifa related (one involving the ERN, one failed antifa op of its own, and one led by UPC himself.)

Reactions: Vor
HEM @ 12:13 AM EST: Question to Pichto about a program of doing World Assembly mock drafts reminds me of the poor Commend Sopo resolution that got drafted and landed in the WA Discussion Forum like a lead balloon. Poor Sopo :(
Yeah I really need to get back to that one again

Thanks for this liveblog!

Yeah I really need to get back to that one again

*cries in Commend Calvin Coolidge*

Okay, some final summary thoughts added!

A hearty analysis!

Back