[Regional Analysis] Voter Turnout Surge post-Drew Boom -- Election Data from March 2019 to Present

Prim

Security Council
Citizen
Discord Moderator
Pronouns
He/Him, They/them

Voter Turnout Surge in 2020
Surprising, Chaotic, yet Record-breaking results post-Drew Boom

Major increase in Voter Turnout over 2020

Since the beginning of the year, we have been seeing a strong increase in voter turnout in our elections in raw vote count. This could be due to a lot of returning players who are remaining engaged, possibly the Coronavirus keeping people inside and on socially-distanced activities online, and/or some slight post-Drew Boom retention. Regardless of the reason, we are seeing strong engagement in elections in the past two months. All graphs in this article will be charted based on data from March 2019 and after. Due to the monthly posting requirements to retain citizenship, the data before this period and after this period cannot be compared easily.
1595705487350.png

Voter Turnout Percentage shows some chaotic changes due to Drew Boom

The voter turnout percentage, the percentage of all citizens who vote in a given election, has been steadily increasing overall since March 2019, showing that we are improving our retention of active and engaged citizens. The Drew Boom in late April really throws a wrench in the statistics though; for several elections, on April 30th and May 2nd, we had increased voter turnout to 49 and 45 voters, but our citizen population had more than doubled to 206 citizens in that time as well, causing our turnout percentage to crater and then return to slightly above the baseline from before the boom. We seem to be hitting a good stride post-Drew Boom however, with overall voters in each election continuing to increase. While the Drew Boom may not have brought a highly engaged group to our forum, we have been improving significantly since that time.
1595706065125.png

Voter Turnout by Category, Executive and Senate

Graphs broken-out by category show very similar trends, with post-Drew Boom turnout percentages hitting record numbers in both Executive and Senate elections. Notably, there was not an Executive election in the one month following the Drew Boom, so the steep decline in turnout percentage wasn't recorded in any Executive election, it only shows the crash in the late April/early May Senate elections, which dropped down to just above 20% turnout. By the middle of June, the Senate election turnout had rebounded to the mid-50% range, a record high. The real showstopper here is the 70.83% turnout percentage for the most recent Presidential election that just closed today, a record among all elections in the past year and a half!

1595706529977.png
1595706803545.png

Attachments

• 1595705414165.png
    1595705414165.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 1595706573122.png
    1595706573122.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Great article prim! Love that turnout number.

This is really interesting to see! Great bit of data thrown together there Prim.

Increased turnout is a big yay. Thank you for keeping us educated, Prim.

I find it really interesting that for the election that coincided with the massive uptick of Citizens, voter were slightly down?

I guess that would lead me to believe that the recent uptick in older members coming back is having more of an impact than the Drewboom, especially given in conjunction with my Measuring Integration analysis.

The raw number of voters during the drew boom went up slightly, but it didn't go up in proportion to the doubling of our population that came from the drew boom. And yes, I think the influx of returning citizens has much to do with the record engagement levels.

Thanks for putting this together, Prim.

I find it really interesting that for the election that coincided with the massive uptick of Citizens, voter were slightly down?

I guess that would lead me to believe that the recent uptick in older members coming back is having more of an impact than the Drewboom, especially given in conjunction with my Measuring Integration analysis.
I'm not as surprised, to be honest. How many of the new citizens from the Drewboom joined Discord? How many didn't stay active and were gone within a few days' time?

I just discovered this publication and am enthralled. Please, more :)

I will be updating the Voter Turnout data shortly to bring this up to date. (y)

Also in prep for another round of the Euro Census, so keep an eye out. :)

Last edited:
I will be updating the Voter Turnout data shortly to bring this up to date. (y)

Also in prep for another round of the Euro Census, so keep an eye out. :)
If you want a dataset from this January's general election, shoot me a dm on discord.

Back