Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
1613358348154.png
Opinion - "President Pichtonia Is Running Out Of Time"
Sopo
Deputy Editor

The fourth presidential election since the re-merge of the Executive is this Friday, five days from now. So far, one ticket has stood, Forilian/Monkey. President Pichtonia previously announced that he would be seeking re-election, and in Discord today suggested his platform would be ready “probably today or tomorrow,” meaning Monday or Tuesday (given that it is already Monday for Pichto). At the latest, that would place his platform release three days before polls open, or, at the earliest, four.

The last time a platform from an incumbent president was released so late was when then-President Rach (Solorni) sought re-election as a popular incumbent in January 2018. At the time, the ENN published an article titled “Yeah, Rach’s Platform Is Pretty Late” when she finally released it three days before the election. The article looked at when previous winning tickets posted their platforms and found that, as the title suggests, Rach’s was late. While the present situation seems parallel, there are a few key differences.

Firstly, standing was opened on Thursday, February 11, only three days ago and eight total days before the election, just one day short of the minimum-length standing period, per the Elections Act. While some in the Chancellery may prefer this, I would argue that longer standing periods allow for more robust elections with opportunities to ask platforms, run polls, and schedule debates. With President Pichtonia holding off on posting a platform, we certainly won’t have time to organize a fair debate, though there may yet be time for a quick poll.

Secondly, President Pichtonia has been visible to some degree conducting government business, whether it be working on the statement on the ERN’s piling in The Embassy or sending valentines, whereas Rach was largely silent, raising additional questions.

Finally, then-President Rach had no opposition for her re-election, whereas President Pichtonia is facing a ticket that released their platform the same day standing opened.

In both cases, I would imagine that an incumbent would be preparing well in advance, given announcements of their intent to seek re-election. That is, of course, unless they thought they had it in the bag and didn’t feel much pressure to deliver. Rach clearly didn’t, and she sailed to a begrudging victory unopposed before later resigning under threat of recall. Perhaps Pichtonia feels the same way and doesn’t see the Forilian/Monkey ticket as a threat. That’s not entirely unfair, given Pichto’s historic popularity, not to mention both Forilian’s dearth of regional leadership experience and the controversial nature of his platform. But, you know what? At least Forilian has a platform, and he had it out in a timely manner.

While the valentines are nice, that seems like a task better delegated to a minister or deputy, especially when we’re in election crunch-time. I expect President Pichtonia to deliver a platform ASAP if he expects to earn my vote.

The original version stated that elections were opened in time for the minimum-length standing period. The article has been amended to correct that.

Last edited:
This is certainly going to be an interesting election! I guess the timing of it all does sort of limit the capacity for debates, you're right

Yeah idk what’s going on inside Pichtonia / Kuramia HQ, but if I ultimately don’t have time to read their platform I can’t consider voting for their ticket unfortunately

When people start to get restless, rumblings of last-minute alternative tickets start...

Good take, Sopo. With the extra time given to candidates to prepare by the Chancellery opening standing later than usual, it is even more strange that Pichto did not have a platform ready to go. And every day that passes only gives the people less time to consider each platform, and it seems incredibly unlikely we're going to get a debate, which is sad. Hope we get this platform very soon.

I was going to write this story myself tomorrow. I thank you for taking it off my plate. The idea that a president who was so ready to make their intentions to run for re-election clear didn't have a platform ready to go is incredibly disheartening. I don't expect, if it does come, that it'll contain anything to excite us. At best, it's lazy. At worst, it's a bit of a slap in the face to the region and to his opponent(s). Gotta' make this right, Pichto.

Good take, Sopo. With the extra time given to candidates to prepare by the Chancellery opening standing later than usual, it is even more strange that Pichto did not have a platform ready to go. And every day that passes only gives the people less time to consider each platform, and it seems incredibly unlikely we're going to get a debate, which is sad. Hope we get this platform very soon.
To be fair, the OSC never stated publicly when standing would be opened. That being said, it says a lot to me that Pichto didn't already have a platform at the ready. I haven't even read Fori's platform yet, but I am disappointed that Pichto has yet to release his in case it will require some deeper analysis or have something controversial that we all need to parse through and question.

To be fair, the OSC never stated publicly when standing would be opened.
I get that. I just mean if you are preparing a platform anyway, you think you would do it before standing opens, and the period before standing opens was longer than usual, so if he was anticipating having to release on Monday, but didn't actually have to until a few days later, it's disappointing he didn't use that time to get the platform done.

I appreciated the valentines being delivered and the work that must have gone into distributing all of them. I also recognize Pichto initially had an LOA in the first few preceding days of standing that was revoked. Additionally, unlike Rach Pichto hasn't actually stood yet which is a bit puzzling given the previously mentioned early declaration of intent to run.

Regardless, I would very much hope Pichto releases a platform tomorrow, otherwise we are talking about 48 hours prior to an election that is certainly not a lot of time for the public to review it and ask questions.

Last edited:
This is well written, Sopo!

A small technical correction, the Elections Act gives the last possible day to open standing as 8 days prior to the closing of the election, not the opening. So the 11th was not the last possible day to open, the 12th would have been.

A small technical correction, the Elections Act gives the last possible day to open standing as 8 days prior to the closing of the election, not the opening. So the 11th was not the last possible day to open, the 12th would have been.
Thanks, corrected.

Back