PM issues

Olde Delaware

Honos Habet Onus
Deputy Minister
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm not able to send PMs to anyone, I just tried to send one to JayDee and wasn't able nor to NES or respond to any PMs I have.

Halp?

They may have their PMs disabled, it's the default setting unfortunately.

Under privacy, you want to make sure that "Start conversations with you:" is set to something other than "Nobody."

That should do it. @Mousebumples

They may have their PMs disabled, it's the default setting unfortunately.
I believe the PM won't send at all then, and it will tell you as much. Unless I'm mistaken; I'll have to check it later.

I believe the PM won't send at all then, and it will tell you as much. Unless I'm mistaken; I'll have to check it later.
it does throw up a "message can not be sent" message afaikr

I updated every user who had 'None' for their PMs and set it to 'Members Only'.

I updated every user who had 'None' for their PMs and set it to 'Members Only'.
My only concern here is that this may be admin overreach? Anytime I tweak settings for someone (e.g. so the Cit Spreadsheet can work properly), I always reset them when I'm done.

I'm curious what the community thinks about the topic tbh

The ability to PM anyone was a standard ability on the old forum. Not really sure how this qualifies, but there's a reason I'm not an admin.

It was not a standard feature, it was one without alternative. there was no way (afaik) to block people or filter who could send you PMs on the old forums. For the Admin team, or a member there of, to step in and change those settings IS admin overreach imo.

It was not a standard feature, it was one without alternative. there was no way (afaik) to block people or filter who could send you PMs on the old forums. For the Admin team, or a member there of, to step in and change those settings IS admin overreach imo.
There was an alternative. It's why non-citizens weren't allowed to send or receive forum PMs.

It was not a standard feature, it was one without alternative. there was no way (afaik) to block people or filter who could send you PMs on the old forums.
This is indeed the case, with the possible exception of users you had on your "ignore" list, which was a feature in ZetaBoards.

For the Admin team, or a member there of, to step in and change those settings IS admin overreach imo.
No, this is not the case.

Darcness (and by extension, the Administrative Team), was perfectly within his right to change the settings of the users on the board, precisely because he did it for all users. If this was a policy that was applied both selectively and involuntarily, there may have been some debate. Upon the original creation of this specific XenForo board, there was a voluntary opt-in policy on the ability to receive private messages (which, is, as an aside, critical to the function of our very government that is legally authorized to conduct business on these forums), which is an entirely separate policy.

This cannot be viewed as Administrative overreach, because it was not applied selectively. It was merely a change in the policy of the board, because it effected all users. This is entirely an appropriate decision by Darcness and I don't see any potential for good refutations.

Kari you really need to learn to take a moment and investigate before you start throwing out these grandiose claims.

For everyone else,

The true default for this particular setting is 'members'. HOWEVER, due to a quirk of the way our data was migrated, every user had 'none' forcibly put into their setting during the migration. With that in mind, I found those users which still had 'none' (by the way, with a single exception, all of those users had the same settings as they were from the migration, in essence, users who hadn't changed their settings at all), and changed them to the correct default of 'members'.

Now, normally, changes like this wouldn't be announced, as it is the simple fixing of a code bug, but on the extremely off chance that a change someone actually wanted was reverted, I made sure to announce it here, so that those who might have been negatively impacted (ie, you WANT to disable PMs) can still go back and change it themselves. And, yes, anyone can still go into their profile and disable PMs by setting it to 'Nobody'. No functionality has been lost.

Darcness (and by extension, the Administrative Team), was perfectly within his right to change the settings of the users on the board, precisely because he did it for all users.
I want to be perfectly clear here. The only people who were changed where those who had 'Nobody' selected, as that was an indicator that they hadn't changed their settings at all. Anyone who had 'Everyone' set for PMs should still have that setting.

I want to be perfectly clear here. The only people who were changed where those who had 'Nobody' selected, as that was an indicator that they hadn't changed their settings at all. Anyone who had 'Everyone' set for PMs should still have that setting.
You were indeed clear. The setting is now standardized for all members, whether the change was made by the Administration Team or not, thus it is a policy change more than others' unfounded claims of "overreach."

Back