Party of Monarchist Revival Approved

Sopo Considers Reviving Monarchy
Written by Unmighty Hezekon

(Europeia - August 2, 2019) - Last Friday, on July 26, the Europeian Grand Hall saw some stirring. Sopo, Hono(u)red Citizen and last term's deputy first minister to Lloenflys, asked the people of the region if "anyone [was] interested in restoring a monarchy to Europeia in any fashion." Were there to be interest, he announced a plan to form a political party that would seek to discuss the idea. Immediately following were responses, both serious and silly, showing support. Some members that expressed serious interest were Aexnidaral Seymour, current World Assembly delegate and fellow Honored Citizen, and Olde Delaware, former president* and known Weekend Games trivia host.

Following initial comments, some questioned the proposal by asking what it was for. Sopo responded with an appeal to trying new things that "may be beneficial to the region."

"As we've trended a bit more social and a bit less political," he explained, "a monarchy would provide the opportunity for new cultural aspects that may improve activity while potentially also providing a new political dynamic. I'm certainly not 100% sold on it myself, but I'm interested in talking about what it might look like with other people who are open to the idea, and if we find a system that would work, advocating for it." He also cited new political traditions as a potential upside to enacting a monarchy.

After the initial round of discussions, a number of citizens joined in with expressions of support for the idea. This idea was not unanimous, however, with some others remaining skeptical. Chief of State Kuramia, for example, stated that she'd "wanna see what these ideas are first."

Later that day, Sopo registered the Europeian Monarchist Party, hoping to co-found the organization with former President Ervald, Olde Delaware, and Senator Rand. Their request was approved this past Monday, July 29.

* Edit: Olde Delaware is not a former president. The author wishes to make his apologies known.

Last edited:
While I would love to be a former President, I am not one. I was the head of the executive for The New Inquisition with the title of Reich Chancellor but that was not here obviously.

Okay, so I think the argument for a monarchy would go something like this.

Europeia is doing better (maybe even "well") but we are now in a more fragile age where we'd benefit from several hands-on regional guardians who would stimulate activity and provide a "check" or "impetus" on the democratically elected government to be efficient. For instance, having a monarch who could dissolve the Senate or call new elections in response to an ineffective government might save time from recall discussions and internal hand-wringing from people.

I'm not sure I buy it, because it also involved sacrificing our Republica culture. If people think those tools would be useful, perhaps it's time to go back and look at ways to empower the Supreme Chancellery.

Okay, so I think the argument for a monarchy would go something like this.

Europeia is doing better (maybe even "well") but we are now in a more fragile age where we'd benefit from several hands-on regional guardians who would stimulate activity and provide a "check" or "impetus" on the democratically elected government to be efficient. For instance, having a monarch who could dissolve the Senate or call new elections in response to an ineffective government might save time from recall discussions and internal hand-wringing from people.

I'm not sure I buy it, because it also involved sacrificing our Republica culture. If people think those tools would be useful, perhaps it's time to go back and look at ways to empower the Supreme Chancellery.
Would empowering the Supreme Chancellery be any different than a monarchy with similar powers? Neither is really republican.

@Sopo, what traditions exactly do you think are being left by the wayside that a Monarchy could help protect?

Pretty sure this is all just a pisstake.

@Sopo, what traditions exactly do you think are being left by the wayside that a Monarchy could help protect?
I asked a similar question in the Grand Hall thread - not directed at Sopo - and never got an answer. I'd love one

I asked a similar question in the Grand Hall thread - not directed at Sopo - and never got an answer. I'd love one

Were working on a Manifesto to address the questions, Sopo is on an LOA at the moment but it should come out soon.

I don't know that there's anything in particular currently languishing, but as a region we've existed for over 12 years, and we're getting to the point where very few of our members have been here since or near the beginning. There are certain memories that HEM and Lethen have that would likely be lost if they left Europeia. A monarch would be the chief regional storyteller, the keeper of our history, and the librarian of tradition. hyanygo was really the only person we ever had interested in maintaining the library/university, so a monarch potentially takes over that role as well. We have a deep and long history which includes everything from silly memes to the watershed moments of our political history. With an eye toward a future where we're further removed from our past, it becomes more important to actively preserve it.

I don't know that there's anything in particular currently languishing, but as a region we've existed for over 12 years, and we're getting to the point where very few of our members have been here since or near the beginning. There are certain memories that HEM and Lethen have that would likely be lost if they left Europeia. A monarch would be the chief regional storyteller, the keeper of our history, and the librarian of tradition. hyanygo was really the only person we ever had interested in maintaining the library/university, so a monarch potentially takes over that role as well. We have a deep and long history which includes everything from silly memes to the watershed moments of our political history. With an eye toward a future where we're further removed from our past, it becomes more important to actively preserve it.
Ah, see, now that interests me. We do need more of our history, our traditions, the why of what we do enshrined and held sacred. I know we've called in institutional memory, but that's a boring name, but people espousing its merits aren't wrong. Getting into the ERN as acting GA I was shocked at the little bits and details that weren't there. It's a bit like fumbling with a football in your hands and not knowing why the rules are the way they are.

It really creates not only a way to grasp the concepts and get behind them but furthers a drive to perform tasks for the region because they are important for a specific reason.

TL;DR - I headcanon a regional skald

So you made a monarchist party because you want a regional librarian. Why not just campaign for the library/uni to be better maintained, or indeed even take that upon yourself or create a group to do so specifically?

I mean kinda in line with what Kari is saying there are just so many other ways to do this, that I don't really see the point of reviving the monarchy. As some other people have noted its not really a good match for the republic format of the region and further it's not even the best way of accomplishing the goals you seem to be outlining. Having a Monarch, a relatively static position, be in charge of keeping the University/Library in shape and preserving history is inevitably going to result in lapsing of effect. Perhaps these goals would be better suited for the Chancellery or a Deputy as they are the last vestiges of the monarchy anyway. Other options could include just a DM in culture or a statue mandated position under the FM+CoS in similar form to the AG.

Presumably a Monarch position would have a bit more "momentum" and staying power than just a librarian position. A bit more symbolic and with more burden of responsibility for the job.

Not saying I agree with the need, yet, but it does differ from a librarian position in some key ways.

Also, having this position be statutory, regularly elected, or under the purview of a ministry would likely have the opposite effect as intended. The turnover could be a drag on the overall goal. If cultural and institutional preservation is the goal, it would likely need to be either unelected/appointed, or elected with really lengthy terms, like a year, or something.

But I do agree that it would mess with our democratic/republica theme a bit, unless we empower the Chancellery to handle this as well.

Last edited:
On the one hand, I don't like the idea of the monarchy and how it fits into our overall system. On the other hand, I don't think any of the solutions here are "empower the OSC."

Back