Our Europeian of the Year: Sopo

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

"No matter how our interactions with Sopo began, they always ended up the same way: with him becoming our friend." - Deepest House
Europeia, like all communities of a certain age, has its giants. You know the names. Pope Lexus X. Asianatic. Skizzy Grey. Kraketopia. Writinglegend. Some we don't talk about anymore. We hearken back to the days when these extraordinary trail breakers led us through both triumph and adversity. We honor them, and rightly so, however each would tell you that it's this region's workhorses, its maker class that made every one of their accomplishments possible. Enter the embodiment of Europeia's maker class: your very own First Minister, Sopo.

Year after year, Europeia turns to Sopo in times of uncertainty. Countless times we've seen him fill in when a critical minister disappears, when a president (or most recently a First Minister) falls victim to the miserable, unforgiving bitch that is real life. Sopo is a perfectly groomed starter that is somehow always coming off the bench. We assuredly don't give him his due but year after year, he answers the call. He shows up. He does the work, whatever it might be.

Just this past year, by my hurried and surely incomplete research he's served as President, Second Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Councilor of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Employment, Councilor(?) of External Engagement, and Minister of Interior.

Sopo is an original. He is steadfast, dependable, prescient, simultaneously candid and kind. One of my favorite things about my 10+ years in Europeia is having him as a friend and I know I'm not alone. The Europeian Citizen and this humble correspondent are honored and thrilled to nominate Sopo for Europeian of the Year!

Sopo is a giant of the region and has been a mainstay of leadership in this region the entire time I've been here. There's no question he would be a worthy choice for Europeian of the Year.

More than I deserve. Thank you.

Back