Opinion: The Citizens' Assembly: Neglected or Relevant?

Opinion: The Citizens' Assembly: Neglected or Relevant?
Written by United Vietussia

The Citizens' Assembly (CA) is commonly known to most Europeians as a training ground for legislators. As of late, a debate has developed over the subject of whether or not the CA has enough oversight from its members, the citizens.

This debate really started after an article from Euro Weekly entitled "The CA: Let's Have a Look." In it, Punchwood says, “Sopo, the outgoing CA Chair, recently held Mockingbird on Radio and brought up an interesting point. No one evaluates the CA, the Senate definitely yet the CA no one does. When you think about it, it’s very strange. If the CA’s job is to train our future legislators then surely we should be keeping a close eye on it and its work?”

Let's take a look at this issue ourselves.

Let's ask ourselves the question: "Does the CA have enough oversight?" Did you immediately leap to an answer without hesitation? I doubt it. So, let's break down the key determining factors regarding this issue.

For starters, the CA has many more speaking voices after the passage of the Citizens’ Assembly Universal Suffrage Amendment (2017) (CAUSA). What went from a 10 member, application-based body became a part of citizenship in Europeia. Everyone now has a say on the issues, and everyone can hold one individual or a group accountable.

Citizens can also see the work of our blossoming legislators as their pre-legislation makes its way through the CA, the Senate, and eventually onto the president's desk for signature or veto.

Finally, we are a republican democracy. Oversight is the name of the game. If the citizens don't like the work of their Chair, they can make their voices heard at the voting booths, in the Grand Hall, or, in extreme cases, via Vote of No Confidence. Citizens have access to the CA and can speak their mind freely.

When all is said and done, the CA is still relevant in the hearts and minds of Europeians. XIV, Grizzli, and even myself all established our political careers through the CA and worked our way into the Senate. One of the most commonly asked questions to first-term Senate candidates is about their work in the CA. People still care about the CA. Strides can and should still be made in training our young legislators, but the Chair can definitely help in developing that area of the CA. If the citizens don't like the progress, voices will be heard on Election Day, proof of the oversight still in place in the CA.

GraVandius said:
What is the point of this article?
Answering the question "Does the CA have enough oversight?". I actually found it helpful, being new it's important for me to gain perspective and understanding, so I find articles and posts like this where more experienced people give their opinions really insightful.

I would not say I launched my political career through the CA; I was barely involved in the CA at all before becoming a Senator; and I wasn't really all that involved in the CA after I resigned from the Senate. My political career was launched through the Ministry of Communications and through my own Newspaper.

Like GraV' I don't follow the argument. And what does relevancy have to do with systematic institutional introspection?

I had seen some talk about there being no oversight at all for the CA. Don't remember exactly where it was, but thought if people have that opinion, I'd ask the CA to address it.

Common-Sense Politics said:
GraVandius said:
What is the point of this article?
Why are you such a salty little git lately?
I decided to be more like you :p

Honestly though the article doesn't really answer the purposed question (which it provided no background on) and ended on a totally different note than the thesis, Thus I think my reaction was justified.

XIV said:
I would not say I launched my political career through the CA; I was barely involved in the CA at all before becoming a Senator; and I wasn't really all that involved in the CA after I resigned from the Senate. My political career was launched through the Ministry of Communications and through my own Newspaper.

Kuramia or Myself might have been better picks, though we are both perhaps dated references at this point.

Back