Opinion: Split Executive Shell Game

Opinion: The Split Executive Shell Game
By Deepest House

(Europeia - December 27, 2018) - As proposals for reform have floated about the region in recent months, the Lazarus Project has promoted an image of Europeia whereby a split-executive would oversee regional affairs and improve executive performance. Specifically, Europeia would have a president who oversees foreign affairs and a prime minister who oversees domestic affairs.

As a former president and vice president with a solid grasp of executive functions, roles, and responsibilities, it is my opinion that such a proposal would do nothing to increase executive bandwidth, capabilities, or performance. While it is true that presidency is a time-consuming job, in both a unified and split executive, success will depend on teamwork more than anything else.

An important part of governance is identifying challenges and opportunities for improvement and the best strategy to correct those deficiencies. In this case, the purported challenge is the presidency is so large that one person simply can’t handle both domestic and international affairs alone.

Fortunately, the president doesn’t work alone. The citizens of Europeia concurrently elect a vice president when they elect the president. While the exact role of the vice president is left to the discretion of the president, many administrations have successfully used the vice president to divvy up the functional areas of the executive branch in much the same manner as proposed in the Lazarus Project.

Indeed, if the goal of the Lazarus Project’s split executive proposal is to improve executive performance by making the domestic and international portfolios easier to manage by sharing the workload, one must point out that by splitting the executive and making the vice president a collateral duty as opposed to its own position, the Lazarus Proposal reduces the president’s resources and his or her ability to accomplish administration objectives.

The vice president is indispensable to the president, an agile resource to provide additional support and leadership. Simply put, without the vice president as a standalone position the president will have less flexibility to assign additional resources where needed, potentially resulting in a slower and less responsive government. It is also a position of prestige, and one in which the citizens must also put forth their full faith and confidence to serve as president should the need arise. We should not marginalize this position by demoting it to a collateral duty associated with service in the cabinet.

The president works as part of a large team on behalf of the entire population. That team works together to advance Europeian values and administration objectives. Rather than adding capacity to the executive branch’s overall ability to accomplish priorities, The Lazarus Project’s split executive reduces the resources available to the president, it demotes to the sidelines one of the most important positions of our government, and potentially fosters competition rather than collaboration between the domestic and international leadership. I’m not a smart man, but I don’t see how this will improve executive branch performance. It will, however, diminish the role and prestige of not just the vice president, but also the president.

That isn’t the answer to current challenges facing the executive branch. For the executive to fully succeed, it requires all members of the executive team to work together … as a team. Any inefficiencies within the executive branch usually come down to effort and/or bandwidth. Either the effort on the part of an individual isn’t there, or the effort is there but the bandwidth to get the job done isn’t. Neither of these problems is solved by splitting the executive.

With the president and vice president focusing on their respective priorities in full partnership and collaboration with their trusted and empowered ministers, the unified government can achieve greater results for the republic than a split executive, which has additional weaknesses of its own.

The proposal to split the executive, consolidate positions, and rename it all amounts to a shell game – a sleight of hand in which we move pieces around to distract and confuse, and at the end we have to guess and hope we’ve made the right decision going forward. It provides no new resources for the government and creates additional administrative burdens without the promise of proportional benefit. It is change for change’s sake.

That requirement was discussed by the region as a whole in the Constitutional Convention and it was decided that the top two proposals would be worked on in the Senate and then presented to the region again in Draft form.

That requirement was disregarded as HEM realized it was difficult for a rough draft to receive 2/3 support.

I know that, but the point here is a mandate. There was no overwhelming vote for Kari, it wasn't 20 to 3 or 10 to 4. The votes were close, within MoE. For all four major proposals. To say there is a definitive mandate when there isnt is facetious.

Are you seriously trying to say that a proposal that had by far the most support does not have a mandate? You're unhinged.

15 to 10 isn't within the "margin of error".

One is 60% support, the other is 40% support, the rest are less than that. That's sort of clear cut.

Don't forget the polls that showed a lot of support for the split executive too @Prim

15 to 10 isn't within the "margin of error".

One is 60% support, the other is 40% support, the rest are less than that. That's sort of clear cut.

Matter of semantics, the poll allowed for votes to be changed. There was no fixed poll, numbers on everyone's proposals changed almost hourly. At one point Kari had 80% of the vote, then 70, then 69, then 50, then back to around 60 at the close of polling. Your proposal Prim at one point had 18 votes for before settling to its final number. Hence why I continue to call it not a mandate, it seemed like the people voting were of the opinion that as many proposals as possible should go before the Senate. Poll numbers changed wildly until the last second.

Matter of semantics, the poll allowed for votes to be changed. There was no fixed poll, numbers on everyone's proposals changed almost hourly. At one point Kari had 80% of the vote, then 70, then 69, then 50, then back to around 60 at the close of polling. Your proposal Prim at one point had 18 votes for before settling to its final number. Hence why I continue to call it not a mandate, it seemed like the people voting were of the opinion that as many proposals as possible should go before the Senate. Poll numbers changed wildly until the last second.
I'm not sure anyone else has been calling it a "mandate", but it was the highest vote receiver in the poll specifically asking which reform proposal people liked, so that's the one we move forward with. I mean, it's not out of left field to think that the top proposal is going to be the main proposal being discussed here, is it? :-/

I'm not sure anyone else has been calling it a "mandate", but it was the highest vote receiver in the poll specifically asking which reform proposal people liked, so that's the one we move forward with. I mean, it's not out of left field to think that the top proposal is going to be the main proposal being discussed here, is it? :-/

It is when the poll numbers were easily manipulated and the, as Bowsin said, the parameters on which reform proposal would advance once it was clear none of them had the magic number of 2/3rds was changed. Kari started calling her proposal a "mandate", I just went with her exact words. I still don't see it as a mandate.

It is when the poll numbers were easily manipulated and the, as Bowsin said, the parameters on which reform proposal would advance once it was clear none of them had the magic number of 2/3rds was changed. Kari started calling her proposal a "mandate", I just went with her exact words. I still don't see it as a mandate.
I'm not sure I see it as a "mandate" either, but it was the highest vote receiver.

And we did have a post vote discussion on how to proceed with the proposals. I don't think that it would have been justified to simply stop all reform efforts simply because no single concept proposal reached the 2/3 number. There was a clear favorite among the proposals, I thought we should have moved forward with that one alone, honestly. It was the only one to receive more than 50% support.

http://europeians.com/forum/index.php?threads/discussion-next-steps.10044972/

I'm not sure I see it as a "mandate" either, but it was the highest vote receiver.

And we did have a post vote discussion on how to proceed with the proposals. I don't think that it would have been justified to simply stop all reform efforts simply because no single concept proposal reached the 2/3 number. There was a clear favorite among the proposals, I thought we should have moved forward with that one alone, honestly. It was the only one to receive more than 50% support.

http://europeians.com/forum/index.php?threads/discussion-next-steps.10044972/

Yes we did and we still moved two, authored by the two sitting Senators. I think since it was clear none of the proposals had the full support of the entire region, that all four proposals should have been moved forward. Only two were and the vote separating 2nd from 3rd was 1. It wasn't as if 2nd had 19 and 3rd had 8. It was a mere vote. In an open vote where votes were changing constantly.

Again, I don't see Kari's proposal as any sort of "Clear Favorite" in the proposals when the votes were changing constantly, nor was it any sort of "Mandate". There is no mandate, there never was one and all four proposals should have gone through.

Poll numbers changed wildly until the last second.

There was exactly one vote in the last 40 minutes as can be seen from the 24hr 1 min screen that I posted in the thread compared to the finished results and indeed it seems to have been a moderate voter as they voted for Johnny, Punch and your proposals.

Link

There was exactly one vote in the last 40 minutes as can be seen from the 24hr 1 min screen that I posted in the thread compared to the finished results and indeed it seems to have been a moderate voter as they voted for Johnny, Punch and your proposals.

Link

So you admit that the polls did change?

The votes were also not "constantly changing" the only changes in the votes was the addition of from that new voter.
So you admit that the polls did change?
I'm not sure if you remember but HEM failed to put a 24hr limit on the poll for 40-something minutes after it was put up which made it a just under 25hr long poll. The additional vote went in in those 40 minutes. Your argument is a farcical.

One proposal received more than 50% of the vote, that's the one we should have moved forward with, we should have left any that didn't receive majority support behind, imo.

The changing of the votes is irrelevant, people knew that their votes would be locked in at the end of the polling period and that's where they ended up. One proposal received almost 60%, the rest were under 40% -- seems clear enough to me.

The votes were also not "constantly changing" the only changes in the votes was the addition of from that new voter.

I'm not sure if you remember but HEM failed to put a 24hr limit on the poll for 40-something minutes after it was put up which made it a just under 25hr long poll. The additional vote went in in those 40 minutes. Your argument is a farcical.

Considering the fact I was able to change my vote Multiple Times within the allotted 24 hours, I am pretty sure that makes it not farcical but rather a considerable problem for you.

One proposal received more than 50% of the vote, that's the one we should have moved forward with, we should have left any that didn't receive majority support behind, imo.

The changing of the votes is irrelevant, people knew that their votes would be locked in at the end of the polling period and that's where they ended up. One proposal received almost 60%, the rest were under 40% -- seems clear enough to me.

The posted procedure was 2/3rds, 66%. Not 57.7, not 34.8. 66%. I didn't write the rules, I didn't write the procedure.

Considering the fact I was able to change my vote Multiple Times within the allotted 24 hours, I am pretty sure that makes it not farcical but rather a considerable problem for you.
So people changing their mind (as they are allowed to do) before the vote closes is an issue in your mind? What the polls read at any time before they closed is irreverent as it has no standing, what matters is what they read when they close and become binding.

So people changing their mind (as they are allowed to do) before the vote closes is an issue in your mind? What the polls read at any time before they closed is irreverent as it has no standing, what matters is what they read when they close and become binding.

Considering the fact that if you tried to right now go change your vote for Senator because you changed your mind only to learn you can't do so is somehow not an issue but trying to lord the fact over me that in this particular instance people suddenly "made up their minds" on an open poll, which changed constantly, should be ignored and is considered irrelevant is a genuine concern anyone should have at this point.

Back