Opinion Piece - Why I Voted No

Ervald

Deputy Minister
Diplomat
Personally, turning the Senate into a circus sounds like a fabulous idea. As long we don't have animal abuse.

Bowzin

The One and Only
Turn the Senate into a zoo, we can all watch them legislate from the other side of some glass

Pierce

While I disagree with the content of this op-ed, Minister Punchwood’s personal views regarding reform do not affect his ability to serve as Minister of Communications. He is entitled to his own views, since the President and I don’t expect all Ministers to be “yes (wo)men” when it comes to matters beyond executive policy. I see this article as more of a criticism of the Senate than the President himself. People need to get a grip and focus on the content of articles like this before resorting to calls for resignation.

On the other hand, it would have been nice to see some of these arguments earlier in the debate over the executive split rather than when the region is on the verge of passing them, that way those that take the opposite view to this article could have addressed these issues. While I don’t think this is worthy of a resignation, I think suddenly writing and publishing this was as politically unwise as the statement issued by the Minister regarding that non-binding resolution.

I’ll be revisiting the issue of what we can do to rein in the conduct of Ministers so that there is more clarification on what isn’t and what is not the place of the Ministers

Aexnidaral Seymour

Eggplant Sheriff
WA Delegate
Deputy Chief of State
Council of State
Honoured Citizen
Discord Moderator
People need to get a grip and focus on the content of articles like this before resorting to calls for resignation.
Perhaps the Vice President needs some new glasses, because while I see people talking about resignation I don't see people calling for resignation, and there is a difference. It is fairly ironic to decry people needing to "get a grip and focus on the content" of the article, while... losing their grasp of the content of comments to punch at shadows.

Vinage Vinage

2018's Christmas Gift
Honoured Citizen
Perhaps the Vice President needs some new glasses, because while I see people talking about resignation I don't see people calling for resignation, and there is a difference. It is fairly ironic to decry people needing to "get a grip and focus on the content" of the article, while... losing their grasp of the content of comments to punch at shadows.
While the Vice President supports reform and does make some favourable comments in the latter part of their reply.

There'll be a few moments like this as we've got to find something new to shake a fist at grumpy now

Aexnidaral Seymour

Eggplant Sheriff
WA Delegate
Deputy Chief of State
Council of State
Honoured Citizen
Discord Moderator
I just don't get it :p

I have straight up threatened to resign to a few Presidents who floated making some pretty awful decisions that were antithetical to what I believed in and would hamper my working relationship as a Cabinet Member, and I remember being in a Cabinet where a good chunk of us made a resignation suicide pact if the President didn't get recalled.

Vinage Vinage

2018's Christmas Gift
Honoured Citizen
Hey! I remember being Minister of Culture and disagreeing with CSP and having a message in my inbox a few moments later asking for clarification....

So you and me both fam :p

HEM

Grand Master of Spam, Grand Admiral of the Sea
Forum Administrator
It's a fine line, but I think the question of resignation is being brought up because why would a Cabinet Minister want to continue working for a President that they essentially publicly accused of duplicity? And how can you expect a President to maintain trust and confidence in that person?

Deepest House

Vice Chancellor
Council of State
There really should be no issue with Punchwood writing an op-ed, with neither the timing or the contents.

The EBC has a long history of publishing op-eds by anyone willing to submit them.

If someone had wanted to publish an op-ed and Punch actively prevented that, it would be legitimate grounds for removal. As far as I’m aware, there were no such attempts made.

That said, Punch (or anyone writing an op-ed) has to be willing to live with whatever comes with attaching your name to a piece.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Drecq

Vice Chancellor
Honoured Citizen
Discord Moderator
I just don't get it :p

I have straight up threatened to resign to a few Presidents who floated making some pretty awful decisions that were antithetical to what I believed in and would hamper my working relationship as a Cabinet Member, and I remember being in a Cabinet where a good chunk of us made a resignation suicide pact if the President didn't get recalled.
Tbh that was kind of fun.

Aexnidaral Seymour

Eggplant Sheriff
WA Delegate
Deputy Chief of State
Council of State
Honoured Citizen
Discord Moderator
It's a fine line, but I think the question of resignation is being brought up because why would a Cabinet Minister want to continue working for a President that they essentially publicly accused of duplicity? And how can you expect a President to maintain trust and confidence in that person?
Yeah, exactly.