Open Discussion

Olde Delaware

Honos Habet Onus
Deputy Minister
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
Feel free to discuss anything military here, from tech to ops to questions about upcoming articles to questions for me :)

Also, please don't hesitate to comment on anything here. I love answering questions and seeing people involved.

Well, what is your favorite assault rifle, Olde? I like M4 AMD all its variants. Also, I like bull pup rifles like Tar-21. Due to strict gun control in India, I have never touched or used them. But I play Call of Duty Modern Warfare series and have seen gun firing videos on YouTube. So from that, I like M4 series and Tar-21.

I think that the Indian Air Force is in a grave crisis. It is seriously understrength. Plus it has a unhealthy mix of old and new aircraft.

I own a AK pistol so I am partial to the AK either the Eastern European PAP series or the WASR-10. All time favorite though has to be a tie between the FN FAL or the old standby M-14.

If you're interested here's a good video on the history of the FN FAL https://youtu.be/Q9JoHzlIAqs

If it's of interest, Forgotten Weapons is a YouTube channel that looks at the function and history of mostly older or small batch weapons from both the military and civilian markets,

I love forgotten weapons and I was a big fan of Future Weapons which was hosted by Mack Machowicz who passed away earlier this year.

Olde Delaware said:
I love forgotten weapons and I was a big fan of Future Weapons which was hosted by Mack Machowicz who passed away earlier this year.
I have never heard of Future Weapons, but liked a program called Ultimate Soldier Challenge hosted by Mack

Aditya Republic said:
Olde Delaware said:
I have never heard of Future Weapons, but liked a program called Ultimate Soldier Challenge hosted by Mack
I've heard of that and he was also on Deadliest Warrior if I recall correctly :)

Aditya Republic said:
How would you rate HAL Tejas? Is it comparable to F-16/18?
From what I know about the Tejas and granted it isn't much, the Tejas is an LCA or Light Combat Aircraft. I know that your country had begun researching or otherwise planning for a replacement for Mig-21s in the 1980s and the LCA Program was the start of that.

A lot of things that India wanted as a proof of concept were either outdated such relaxed static stability whereas fighters of the time such as the F-16's flew a negative stability which allows them to be a little more maneuverable. India wanted multi mode radar such as what was on the Gripen but went with another program since the multi mode radar wasn't sufficient enough wanted to make the plane easier to fly with automatic flight controls.

What India ended up getting was a light attack aircraft rather than a generational fighter, the F-16, F-15 and F/A-18s are all much heavier, more multirole and more strike oriented than the HAL Tejas. In a side by side comparison, the F-16 and the F/A-18s are a better aircraft than the lightly armed Tejas by far.

I would say there is a better comparison between the Su-30MKI and the F-16 or F/A-18. As far as the absolute comparison to the Tejas from American systems, I would say the Tejas would be comparable to the F-5 Freedom Fighter. Outside of American systems, I would compare it to the South Korean TA-50 Golden Eagle.

Ok. Thx. But I do believe that Tejas is better than the Chinese JF-17 used by Pakistan. Experts say that Tejas is far better.

BTW, when will u publish ur next article?

Aditya Republic said:
Ok. Thx. But I do believe that Tejas is better than the Chinese JF-17 used by Pakistan. Experts say that Tejas is far better.

I'm in the middle of research right now on the Battle of 73 Easting, which was slated to come out January of next year. I've also been looking over the incident at Pristina Airport, General Sir Mike Jackson wrote a good part of his book about the incident at Pristina and I've been trying to get ahold of his book around here.

But I'm hoping to put out an article soon about the history of the Delaware Regiment. The Delaware regiment means a lot to me, my dad served in it and it's got a long and storied history. I'm hoping to run down to the armory that the Regiment is based from, now known as the 198th Signal Battalion for a little bit more info.

Olde Delaware said:
Aditya Republic said:

I'm in the middle of research right now on the Battle of 73 Easting, which was slated to come out January of next year. I've also been looking over the incident at Pristina Airport, General Sir Mike Jackson wrote a good part of his book about the incident at Pristina and I've been trying to get ahold of his book around here.

But I'm hoping to put out an article soon about the history of the Delaware Regiment. The Delaware regiment means a lot to me, my dad served in it and it's got a long and storied history. I'm hoping to run down to the armory that the Regiment is based from, now known as the 198th Signal Battalion for a little bit more info.
If possible, research on the Battle of Rezang La in the 1962 Sino-Indian war. One of the greatest battles ever. Also a special mention to the Battle of Asal Uttar in 1965 Indo-Pak war

Sure I could add them for a possible world focus article :) Thanks for the great ideas

I have heard of a conspiracy theory which says that FDR was well aware of the incoming attack on Pearl Harbor. Yet he didn't do nothing because he wanted a reason to enter into the WW-2. What do you think of this?

PS: Also, check ur inbox. I PMed you

Aditya Republic said:
Also, I would like to suggest Tom Clancy's "The hunt for Red October" for the Book of the Month award.
Well you did ruin the surprise a bit :) I intend on picking Tom Clancy's 'The Bear and the Dragon' as our next book. TBatD is my favorite Clancy book and I hope it generates some discussion :)

Olde Delaware said:
Aditya Republic said:
Also, I would like to suggest Tom Clancy's "The hunt for Red October" for the Book of the Month award.
Well you did ruin the surprise a bit :) I intend on picking Tom Clancy's 'The Bear and the Dragon' as our next book. TBatD is my favorite Clancy book and I hope it generates some discussion :)
Oh sorry. But what a coincidence. I just love Tom Clancy's books. They are so detailed and thrilling. The first book that I read was Tom Clancy's Op Center:Line of Control ( yeah, abt India and Pakistan). Now, am reading Red Storm Rising.

Also, I love reading your newspaper

PS: Can you suggest me some websites to download free PDF's of Tom Clancy's books?

Aditya Republic said:
Olde Delaware said:
Aditya Republic said:
Oh sorry. But what a coincidence. I just love Tom Clancy's books. They are so detailed and thrilling. The first book that I read was Tom Clancy's Op Center:Line of Control ( yeah, abt India and Pakistan). Now, am reading Red Storm Rising.

Also, I love reading your newspaper
You're fine my friend. No harm no foul :p

Aww thank you! I love to write about military things and I like that some people at least pop in and look at the picture or might enjoy the documentary. I ordered a copy of Soldier by Sir Mike Jackson this week so when it comes in, I can get this article finished :)

Back