OOC No More?

Interesting...thoughts on the article...

My view is different from HEM's. Rather than saying we disagree, I will say where I stand, and let him characterize (if he wishes) how my views compare to his.

When people play a game together on a regular basis, friendships form. That's true whether the game is bridge, basketball, or NationStates. For many people, those friendships are more significant than the game -- which, after all, is "only a game." Friendships are good for the game; they keep people engaged long after they would otherwise lose interest.

Playing a game with friends demands different etiquette than playing with strangers. Friends can compete fiercely in game play, but there are lines that must not be crossed if you wish to maintain the friendship. Mostly, these "lines" require nothing more than honorable behavior -- don't stab people in the back, don't make personal attacks against others, and so on. If friendships make people behave with a modicum of honor, we can add that to the list of ways friendships make the game better. The vast majority of us have no desire to spend our spare time playing a game that involves backstabbing, personal attacks, and other uncivil behavior. None of these are necessary to vigorous competition; many games are played far harder than anyone here plays NationStates without crossing those lines.

I have played this game hard without crossing lines in a way that would jeopardize friendships. Ollie and I ran against one another for President; we ran a spirited campaign without hurting our friendship. When Earth ran against Rachel, I supported Earth and criticized Rachel pointedly, without harming my friendship with Rachel. NES was a trusted adviser in my administration, despite his well-known feud with my friend Earth. Game play doesn't need to interfere with friendship, so long as the player plays with honor.

We are all aware of friendships that were ruined when someone crossed one of those lines in the course of "playing the game." Not surprisingly, those people often no longer wish to play games with their ex-friends; therefore, while losing a player is less significant than losing a friend, the rest of us often suffer. The answer, however, is not to bemoan friendships; it's to demand that our fellow players comport themselves with a modicum of honor.

Back