One-on-One with Jusduckria no. 1

Good evening, and welcome to the first installment of One-on-One with Jusduckria, where I take a notable Europeian citizen and place them on the hot seat.

My first guest is a very good friend of mine and colleague in the Senate, as well as Minister of Interior. Let's welcome PhDre to the show!

*500 miles plays as PhDre walks out*

There are always a variety of issues for the Senate to tackle - one issue that I've wanted to look at for some time is the Chief of Staff position. I feel that this position is generally an obstacle to Presidential communication with the citizenry - it creates a barrier between citizens and the President by delegating one of the Presidents main responsibilities, which is holding himself accountable to the people. Something that I've seen throughout my time in Europeia is a decisive lack of communication on the part of all our Presidents - we have 'Press Conferences' and 'The Open Offices,' but they do little to alleviate the concerns of the general population. Often, I would wonder "what are we doing as a region?" This term, being in the Cabinet has opened my eyes to the fact that there is (or at least, should be) something going on all the time. Projects and ideas are hammered out - and I think one of the best ways to show the citizens that you're doing something as a President is to go ahead and address that yourself. The Chief of Staff position, in my mind, is an obstacle to a great presidency - I'd like to bring this issue up in the Senate once we're done with electoral reform. At the same time, I acknowledge that the CoS position has been created to help alleviate much of the pressure for a relationship with the region from the shoulders of the President, and he would of course be welcome to give his input on the matter. In fact, perhaps the CoS position should exist for no other reason than a President's desire to continue the program, and I'm comfortable with that. However, it's something that I'd like to raise, and something that could have an impact in the dynamic between a President and the citizens who elect him.

That's an interesting issue you bring up. I know that there have been people who have decried the Chief of Staff position, mostly because it's seen to be a placeholder, not really involving much, or at least appearing to be that way.

You mentioned communication, and the "Press Conferences" and issue of "The Open Cabinet". What is your opinion on those? The one press conference so far this term was, in my opinion, somewhat lackluster. Tell me your thoughts on that.

I don't have a strong opinion about the first Press Conference of the term, beyond that it failed to meet my expectations as a citizen to keep me informed - I didn't like how there was no interaction between the President and the citizens. Again, I think removing the CoS position as well as the "Press Secretary" position would force the President to 'do the dirty work' and engage with the people.

Speaking as an outsider of the Goldenblock, I do feel that the executive staff is unnecessary. This is highlighted by EO0050, which placed the Senate Clerk under the Speaker of the Senate and removed him as a member of the executive staff. It's clear that the executive staff's functions could be performed by other members of the government, preferably the President or Vice-President. As I see it, I've elected a President, and I want to hold that President responsible, not a Press Secretary or Chief of Staff.

The best way for the President to be held more accountable is, not surprisingly, his own attitude. I believe that a President who holds himself accountable will actively connect with citizens through direct Press Conferences and Open Office discussions, rather than enlist a liaison such as the Chief of Staff. So yes, it's possible to keep the Executive Staff while the President interacts more directly with the people - but then I ask, what does the Executive Staff do?

If the President holds himself accountable for communication to the Senate, to the CC, to the People... we see more communication, an understanding between the people and the President, and a more successful region. Frankly speaking, the President is the highest elected authority in the land, but that doesn't give him an excuse to be distant or removed from the everyday politics and discussion in the region. I'd like to see self-accountability from Presidents in general (indeed, this is an observation of past Presidents as much as it is one of President Rougiers), as I think this would go a long way towards strengthening the relationship between the Office of the President itself and the citizenry. One possible way to achieve that is to force accountability by eliminating the Executive Staff. At the same time, I guess it comes down to - do you want to be held accountable? If so, communicate directly to Europeians, and not through an Executive Staff... because we deserve it.

I assume that you, and our viewers, have seen the President's latest press conference. Do you think that the media is finally starting to come into its own?

I think the media's always had a special, fuzzy place in the heart of Europeians, and while I'm sure you'd love to streak around and say it's the media which is responsible for this Press Conference, and perhaps other changes in Europeia, I see the role of the media in Europeia as a stage on which individuals may comment on legislation, the policies of the Administration in power, on decisions made by the President, and in this case, on the lack of communication between the current and past Administrations, and the people of Europeia. More than the media 'coming into its own' here, I think we're seeing another example of how Europeians can effect change if they voice themselves intelligently and clearly. I also think that this technique of effecting change is sorely underused, as seen through name calling, threads directed at the 'effect' of other individuals, and general back and forth. Europeians can and have conversed intelligenctly, debated eloquently, and communicated with their leaders in the past - I think it's never too late to return to this direct and effective form of communication.

I've used the terms interchangeably, but certainly I'd like to see more smart communication rather than a stream of anger directed at the President. That being said, a stream of anger is better than nothing. :p

Smart communication can be fostered through mature discussion, direct communication on the part of the President, and in particular, keeping the people of Europeia up to date with what is going on. The term "behind the scenes" is one that you could argue has defined past Administrations as well as President Rougiers's. It's been brought up that many of the policies and programs that are to be implemented by President Rougiers's team (including my own) are not discussed with Europeians until they are unveiled.

Without breaking Cabinet confidentiality, I can confirm that many of the events we've planned, and the policies we implement, could have been strengthened by enhanced communication between the Administration and the citizenry. At the same time, we've just seen the start of what could be a new chapter in the Rougiers Presidency, starting with Veto-Gate. Perhaps this was the wakeup call that Rougiers needed to recognize that communication with the other branches of government, as well as with the people, needs serious improvement.

Well, now walk me through, as best as you can, how policy is formulated and implemented then. I understand that, as a member of the Cabinet, you are bound by both law and Cabinet collective responsibility.

I mean, the Soviet Europeia event. It's Culture, but you seemed to be pretty involved, from what I could tell.

I know that the Vice President, among other government officials, have been saying that there's a lot going on behind the scenes. Do you agree with Associate Justice Hyanygo, Senator Sopo, and others that there's too much secrecy, and that it gets old for the citizens to be told "There's something, but wait until (X)"?

I wouldn't say there's too much secrecy, just that there could be a little more give and take on the matter. Ultimately, it's the decision of the Administration to communicate with citizens as it sees fit - that could be a PM campaign, that could be complete disclosure, and that could be having everything be a surprise as well. It's a style of operation, and I did enjoy knowing that Commie Day was coming - I believe Lexus X almost guessed correctly as he stated that V-E Day was near that date (but he guessed America's VE Day, not Russia's!). Obviously all citizens will have a different standard as far as how informed they want to be about different events - and again it comes down to the style of the Administration.

Let's go back to the first part of my previous question, then:

Well, now walk me through, as best as you can, how policy is formulated and implemented then. I understand that, as a member of the Cabinet, you are bound by both law and Cabinet collective responsibility.

I mean, the Soviet Europeia event. It's Culture, but you seemed to be pretty involved, from what I could tell.

Sure. Getting as detailed as I can without getting too specific, policies in Cabinet are created through general brainstorm, then get refined to the point where we have them ready to go. For example, Commie Day came to fruition as we joked about letting Cary run the region for a day... one of us mentioned the upcoming VE Day (Russian of course), and suddenly Commie Day became a potential event in culture.

I would be very fearful for the Administration, and for Europeia, if there was only one plan in the works in the Cabinet at a time. :p To be clear - there are always a lot of ideas swirling around in the Cabinet, primarily because we've got a good team that's willing to look at the other Ministries and work together to make different policies better.

What do you see as your next steps, personally? Senator and Minister of Interior...any chances you might want to move up the ladder, so to speak?

This summer, I have the misfortune of being completely free - free to watch the World Cup, free to waste my time playing video games, and free to spend every living moment besides that either hanging out with my "friends" (quotes to imply that I have none) or contributing in any way possible to Europeia. So while I can't say what my plans are as far as pestering HEM for the VC spot (just kidding :p), or blackmailing Rougiers into running me as his VP (kidding? evil.gif ), I can say that the summer months will be my most active - and I will be looking to assume more responsibility and help prepare Europeia for the summer 'shut-down' that often grips NationStates. I can't say what I'll be doing in a few months time, but I hope to be spending it here in Europeia, helping out in a big way. euro.gif

How very patriotic of you :p

I see you've introduced the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution. Tell me and our viewers more about it.

Back