On the Minister Hard Cap

I wonder how many people just wanted to make WAA independent because they wanted to get rid of it? It seems like a really odd choice to remove from the government's purview, but makes a lot of sense if people just said "make it go away", as it always comes up in conversations of ministries to get rid of (fairly or not).

I personally would still prefer to see the WAA recombined back into the WAD's office, but there doesn't seem to be any interest in that so it's moot.

But I do think that the independent offices concept could be applied to other areas -- like the RMB, dispatches/upvote squad, or integration things I spitballed above. Things that tend to be forgotten in a main ministry, but could flourish under a longer-term person attending only to those things specifically.

This is where my proposal would, perhaps, differ. I believe that these agencies would ultimately answer to the Executive, and work in close coordination with the Executive, but their day-to-day operations would not be the types of things that people are talking about in their platforms. This means that we wouldn't have a gap in EBC articles between terms, or something like that. They would still work in service of the Executive, but would have a sort of operational independence.
Yeah, I understand your meaning, that would be fine with me too. Though I personally don't support the EBC being spun-off like that. Radio, definitely though.

I wonder how many people just wanted to make WAA independent because they wanted to get rid of it? It seems like a really odd choice to remove from the government's purview, but makes a lot of sense if people just said "make it go away", as it always comes up in conversations of ministries to get rid of (fairly or not).
I have to write a piece on this, because again, "out of the government's purview" is a misconception.

But if we're re-merging the government, is WA a Ministry-level task? It seems like an FA Deputy type position.

I personally would still prefer to see the WAA recombined back into the WAD's office, but there doesn't seem to be any interest in that so it's moot.
Could you explain what we would be seeking to achieve by doing that?

But I do think that the independent offices concept could be applied to other areas -- like the RMB, dispatches/upvote squad, or integration things I spitballed above. Things that tend to be forgotten in a main ministry, but could flourish under a longer-term person attending only to those things specifically.
I could see myself supporting something where we delegate certain tasks to independent agencies. Not necessarily always entire ministries, but as you said gameside things could be an entire separate thing that the different ministries don't have to worry about. That could cover integration efforts, comms dispatches, FA gameside updates - although those would probably have to be produced by FA - posting dispatches for WA IFVs, maybe even some culture events like RMB games/polls/factbook competitions or whatever.

But if we're re-merging the government, is WA a Ministry-level task? It seems like an FA Deputy type position.
I think it's the whole thing again of trying to reduce Cabinet numbers vs. trying to actually scale down what we're trying to do. I'm not sure making WA an FA deputy would achieve much, to be honest. Unless you had that person making every single IFV, you'd still essentially have someone trying to manage a team to carry out a set of tasks which require a whole separate set of instructions and skills to what you're doing in the rest of FA. And I'm not sure having that one person make every single IFV would be a good idea either - that would cause problems for training newcomers and ensuring a good line of succession in that department.

Could you explain what we would be seeking to achieve by doing that?
The issue came up while you were gone, I believe. I laid out my reasoning back then, but there's no interest in it and I don't plan to keep pushing for it. I'm eager to see what you can do to help drive interest in WAA and go from there.

This was a great write-up! I personally don't like the idea of any cap, and I think the executive bloat argument is overblown. Sure, niche ministries *lately* haven't had the best results, but the Ministry of Innovation was a niche ministry. That continues to yield returns.

Also Radio is the only ministry that makes sense as an "independent" entity. I don't think any of our other ministries should be divested from the executive portfolio.

Back