OIM Panel Transcript

Sopo

If specified, this will replace the title that dis
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
Sopo Thanks for coming guys. Let's start with a general discussion of each candidate
CSP Grateful for the opportunity to participate.
Sopo Mouse: pros/cons?
CSP Mouse is obviously tremendously popular in today's Europeia and for good reason. Her work ethic, technical know-how, and pleasant disposition are all solidly in the 'pro' column. I do worry very much about her foreign policy and military credentials.
Writinglegend Pro's: Very hardworking, as we all know. I would say enthusiastic about the work that she does, which is always good to have when in GoldenBlock. As for cons, I would have to worry about Navy experience, as I don't know if she's participated in a "military" (or even the ERN).
Sopo For pros, she's the obvious frontrunner as the VP, and she's well-liked by most people. She has excelled at the jobs she's done, notable WAD and Interior. Cons would be her military experience and whatever baggage there is as the incumbent.
Sopo So we're largely in agreement here.
Sopo How much of a problem is the lack of military experience?
CSP Ultimately, it's not something she can't overcome. There are plenty of leaders within the ERN to keep the wheels turning. What you need to concern yourself with is the overarching strategy which I don't think she possesses the knowledge and experience for. Again, not a dealbreaker but worth noting.
CSP It's really the unforeseen and how we eventually respond that you look to a president for. It's unclear if she's up to that kind of leadership.
CSP to from*
Writinglegend Well, it could become a problem in the future, but, her experience and knowledge in other areas may overshadow such a thing.
Sopo Should she perhaps have chosen a VP with more military experience, rather than Mal?
CSP For the purposes of this specific conversation, sure but I'm not sure you can top retaining a popular outgoing president as your runningmate from a political perspective.
Writinglegend ^
Sopo So overall, Mal was probably the best choice, then.
CSP He would be at the top of any list, I would think.
Sopo Other cons were foreign policy. Does her time as WAD counterbalance less traditional FA experience?
CSP In my opinion, no. That may sound harsh. Mouse comes from the site-focused block of players in the game and she's among the best of them. That doesn't translate to gameplay experience in very many ways.
Writinglegend Quite possibly, but I don't think so, as I would want some more traditional FA experience, rather than WAD experience.
CSP Additionally, a recent poll showed that of those that responded, the vast majority of citizens were seeking a term more focused on external strategy. Mouse offered very, very little of that in her platform.
CSP Without the credentials to nullify that somewhat, one has to be a bit puzzled.
Sopo Potentially, then, we're looking at a term where the President is not at the forefront of our foreign affairs.
CSP Again.
Sopo Who fills that void? the EAAC? MoFA? someone else?
CSP The EAAC can only hope to influence policy. It can't carry it out. I can attest to that. A strong MoFA is great but again, you'd hope the overall strategy is coming from higher atop the chain of command. It can work. It's just not optimal and not a recipe for the kind of engagement I think Europeians are yearning for.
Writinglegend I would think it comes down to a multitude of people, but primarily the people you just pointed out, the EAAC and MoFA. More-so the MoFA, because I see the EAAC more as an advising committee (in the name :p ) rather than a committee leading our foreign policy.
CSP Is anyone else troubled by the fact that the only real foreign policy plan is being presented by the "joke" ticket?
Sopo Mouse has been involved in the EAAC this past term and as VP has surely had some exposure to FA. I'm not sure it's accurate to cast her as a complete novice, but she does lack the years of gameplay FA experience people like you (CSP) have
Sopo The "joke" ticket is another conundrum we need to address
CSP Maybe we can dig into that a bit because it looks pretty legitimate to me.
Sopo One last point though on the former topic, our last president with significant FA experience was Anumia
Writinglegend ^
Sopo and Anumia has been MoFA since then
Sopo if, next term, Anumia is no longer MoFA, do you think we see a shift in our foreign affairs?
CSP Unlikely. Our foreign policy philosophy is well entrenched at this point. The distinction is how vigorously and effectively we pursue our interests on the world stage. That's where style and experience of our officials becomes important as it is now.
Sopo So have we been lacking for the past few terms?
Sopo Because if Mouse, Mal, and Kraken all lack/lacked foreign affairs experience during their presidencies and Anumia has not been a significant figure, one wonders who exactly has been in charge, or if we've been on autopilot
CSP To a certain extant, I would say yes. We've turned our focus inward in recent months and I'm not going to pretend that's a horrible thing. We've done some great work domestically. We're raising a promising generation of future leaders, Calvin being the obvious example. When our focus is too far diverted we're inevitably going to miss opportunities though. I'm very much afraid of that, especially with a president who doesn't know what to look f
CSP extent* jesus
Sopo I think your answer was cut off
Writinglegend I do believe you were cut off at "doesn't know what to look f..."
Sopo ^
CSP for potentially.
Sopo so let's move on to SD/Rach, the "joke" candidacy
Sopo CSP, you mentioned their foreign policy. Thoughts on that first?
Writinglegend I'm confused about whether they are a joke, actually running, or a little of both. :p
CSP It's the only plan being put forward. You've got Mouse talking about forum embassies and Noto talking about watering down the GAP as the main thrust of their foreign policy for the next two plus months. The joke candidates which also happen to be the most qualified FA authorities in the race are talking about management of alliances. They're talking about reform and information and education.
CSP Mark my words, if SD weren't less active here as he once was and Rachel wasn't such a polarizing figure, this race would be much closer.
Sopo I agree. It's a strong platform. But what's in it for them?
Sopo I mean, why this "joke" candidacy, but a real platform? What's their game?
Sopo I can't figure out what/if anything they're trying to achieve
CSP It's puzzling isn't it? I think Rachel's motivation is more obvious and I'm not going to get too deep into that.
Writinglegend I can't either, honestly. Maybe bring up political activity a little bit? But I'm not really sure :p
Sopo It seems like Rach wants to make a point without the responsibility of really winning and running.
CSP I think what it's really highlighting is our failure to make this a competitive contest of differing ideas and experiences.
CSP They're showing us the potential was there.
CSP Instead it's the anointment of the next man up, which in this case was obviously Mouse. We're getting into a bad habit of that.
Sopo Rach has a strong FA platform, and it makes a lot of promises. Do you think she would be able to make good on those promises in reality? Regular foreign updates + paper?
CSP No.
Sopo Can anyone?
CSP Can anyone? Yes, even if it would be difficult. Will anyone? No.
Sopo She also doesn't mention EON. I think there's been a failure on the part of the current administration to adequately explain what EON is and what it's role will be, and so it's been conflated with mixlr
CSP I don't think there's been -enough- of it to make that judgement. The sales pitch wasn't that bad but the material failing to pile up halted any momentum it may have had. I think it's a great project and I've loved what I've seen so far.
Sopo I need to step away for a minute. Feel free to keep chatting. I'll be right back
CSP This is the type of activity that will breed a pool of talented, enthusiastic contributors to make a gameplay media outlet possible.
CSP Sure.
Writinglegend Okies :p
Writinglegend I do hope for more EON progress, as, like CSP noted, the sales pitch was pretty good, but there's been a lack of material, although what has been out has been great, and it does have a lot of potential.
Sopo ok back
Sopo part of the problem is that EON is supposed to be overseas, and at the moment I don't think it is
Sopo I don't know that we've made any progress expanding it
CSP I can't speak too knowledgeably on that point. I've spoken to PhDre about the program but not so much that facet of it.
Sopo Do we have more to say about SD/Rach?
CSP I don't think so.
Writinglegend No.
Sopo Ok, Noto/Calvin
Sopo pros/cons?
CSP Among pros you have Noto's experience. He's been around for a good while and he pays very close attention. He's a bright guy. He's decisive. He picked up a very popular and ascendant runningmate. Unfortunately, failing to remake his image a bit cost Noto this election before it even started.
Writinglegend Pro's: Noto and Calvin are both very hardworking, and I know that Noto will do his absolute best to get things done. He's very experienced and is decisive. Con's: Noto can be a polarizing figure to some because he is blunt. Although I may not agree that he is, it could look that way to some.
CSP His bid should have represented an anti-Mouse voting bloc and instead it was disregarded from the outset, as is shown by polling.
Sopo he was ahead of the joke candidates in ENN polling
CSP Not good enough.
Sopo Would Cal have been a better alternative on the top of the ticket or on his own?
CSP Politically, yes but he's not ready.
Sopo If I'm interpreting this correctly, the ticket was meant largely as a counterbalance to Mouse/Mal, but it's failed to gain much traction, even as that. Do you think there's any situation where Noto could have made this competitive?
CSP Not at this time. He needs to channel his pragmatism into a form of communication that is more constructive in order to be someone who can garner enough support for high office.
Sopo I, for one, have trouble imagining a President Notolecta giving a speech in the Goldenblock or rallying the troops, perhaps because I've never seen him take that kind of a role before.
Sopo Noto clarifies that he did not run as an alternative to Mouse
Sopo The CA would have been a good opportunity for Noto to show some kind of charisma and leadership, but on the whole I think his term was no more than average. Calvin has done a bit better, largely thanks to a few active newcomers who have jumped in.
CSP It's hard to visualize and that's not because he's incapable of it. He's a very capable player. The perception of him within the community isn't a pleasant one, I would dare assert. Even when I was at the forefront of electoral politics I had to take care to be mindful of my public perception.
Sopo So I'm not sure I can attribute the success of the CA recently to Calvin or to the newbies, but either way, it's been better
Writinglegend Sorry, I was busy, but I'm back :p
Sopo feel free to add your opinion of Noto/Cal :p
Writinglegend I added Pro's and Con's above, but, again, some may visualize Notolecta as a more polorizing figure because he is so blunt, as seen even in his comment on Angelus's Senate Platform Thread. I don't fault him for it, but its fact that some do see him as that type of figure, and I do feel the CA was a great place for him to chan
Sopo cut off at "to chan"
Writinglegend Stupid IRC :p. "change such an outlook."
Sopo I agree. A missed opportunity. Though circumstances also conspired against him.
Sopo anything about their platform?
CSP Navy: two sentences.
Sopo which is surprising, because Noto has more Navy experience than Mouse. Missed opportunity to show some expertise?
CSP Noto really could have used his naval experience to make a contrast with Mouse there.
Writinglegend I do think they propose some bright ideas, especially with the CSO.
Sopo There's no real sharp contrast between Noto and Mouse
CSP CSO reforms are great. I just don't see them as a centerpiece of a presidential campaign and both major candidates sort of put it there, with areas such as FA and military much father down the list. I think that's indicative of a deeper weakness in each campaign.
Sopo When there's a clear frontrunner, the opposition needs to be more aggressive in differentiating themselves
Sopo overall, Cal and Noto have been very friendly to Mouse, allowing Rach to take that role
CSP Indeed and the debate showed that nobody was going to be more aggressive than Mouse.
Sopo Mouse has run a pretty solid campaign
Sopo ok, on to the last ticket
Sopo Prom/SCI... pros/cons? :p
Sopo Pros: No one knows them. Cons: No one knows them.
Sopo Major con: no platform
Writinglegend I really don't have much....I haven't heard much or seen much.
Writinglegend No platform is a big con.
CSP I...I'm glad we got a new member that's enthusiastic. Beyond that, there's really nothing to comment on.
Sopo I know I was criticized for giving him a softball interview, but after the debate, I think it's clear it would have been unfair for me to go too hard on him
Sopo I hope he settles in and gets his feet wet in RP or the CA
CSP Right.
Writinglegend I am glad that he is enthusiastic :D
Sopo Before we move on to predictions and the like, anything else either of you want to address?
CSP Actually, yes.
Sopo go for it
CSP We've heard a million times that our older, more experienced members who are best suited for the presidency are no longer able or willing to be active enough to hold it. Then we sit back a criticize younger citizens (Krak, Calvin, WL, etc) and say they're not ready. I'm just as guilty of this as anyone else. We have a responsibility to make them ready and we're not doing it.
CSP That kind of growth can't be done with our welcoming and retention programs. It has to come from us sitting down and talking to these guys and sharing what we know and think.
CSP If we can make that effort, I think the next slate of candidates will be more exciting for us and more beneficial to the growth of our community going forward both abroad and at home.
Sopo I'd also not that there are a lot of bright newer members who aren't serious political players, either because the environment here has changed or we're not preparing them.
Sopo note*
Sopo The kind of player we breed these days is different than the kind of player we bred in 2010
Sopo there's certainly a promising new generation developing though, shoutout to RRA as a good example
CSP It's just that there exists a gap. We have this perception that expertise just happens over time. It doesn't. The only reason I'm of any value in the EAAC or anywhere else is because of the hours I've spent talking to people who knew more than me.
CSP It's our job now to talk to them.
Sopo Agreed
Sopo Hypotheticals... any candidate you'd have liked to have seen this election but didn't?
CSP PhDre
CSP A slightly more active PhDre.
Writinglegend ^
CSP Obviously I'd have a votegasm if r3n ever ran.
Writinglegend r3n/CSP xD
CSP Ha! I wouldn't want to drag him down.
Sopo too bad r3n isn't watching this channel
Writinglegend r3n/Vinage xD
Sopo I do hope to see more of Vinage now
Writinglegend Good thing Vinage just came back :p
Sopo Ok, finally, predictions. Who wins, who's second, third, and fourth?
Writinglegend I think Mouse wins. Noto comes in second. SD in third. Prometheus in fourth.
Sopo Agreed. Noto and SD could flip depending on how the electorate is feeling.
CSP Mouse - 19, SD - 10, Noto - 9, Prom - 2
Sopo if Mouse doesn't win 50%, does she win a runoff v. Noto? v. SD?
Sopo I'd say yes in both cases
CSP Toss up for who gets the run off.
CSP They're not going to get anywhere near close enough either way.
Sopo so unless there's a radical change, we're looking at a President Mouse.
CSP Warm up the buses, this one's ovah!
Writinglegend I think we are likely looking at President Mouse.
Sopo Well, thanks for joining me guys. I look forward to doing this again for the Senate elections. ;)
CSP It was fun. Thanks.
Sopo which, may I suggest, will probably be a lot more interesting if our newcomers stick around
Writinglegend Thanks. This was fun :)

I can't speak for the other two, but I enjoyed it.

Although, I am surprised no one has discussed SD and my plan to establish a new Ministry called Regional Development to focus on integration to the forums from the region itself.

Back