October By-Election and Senate Poll Results

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Over the last 24 hours, The Panda's Pen conducted a poll in the Grand Hall on the ongoing Senate by-election, as well as the current Senate. With a sample of 20 respondents, we can be reasonably sure in the usefulness of these results*, so let's dive on in.

*Editor's Note: While this poll was in the field, both Olde Delaware and cuddles entered the race, however due to the option for respondents to edit their response, we feel that both candidates were given as fair representation as possible under the circumstances.
Graph1.jpg
Graph2.jpg

To begin, we asked the obvious, most pertinent question: who will people be voting for? Minister of Radio Bowzin holds a commanding lead, both including and not including undecided voters. In fact, the migration of our three undecideds (as well as one who voted "Neither") only extends his lead over Steward Olde Delaware and ECP founder Isaris, while cuddles registers zero support across both questions. In short, candidates who aren't Bowzin need to put in some serious legwork if they want to capture more of the electorate.

Graph3.jpg

With 80% of respondents satisfied with the four candidate field, it seems that the drought of unsatisfying, noncompetitive elections has officially ended, at least in the legislative branch, with two back-to-back stacked fields. Europeia rejoice!

• I was hoping someone like Aex would run, I feel like he would provide a better level-headed counterbalance to some of the current membership than the candidates we currently have.
  • Nice
  • One candidate left after they didnt get their way during N day and the other left because they didnt get their way over discord. Not exactly senate material imo
  • Bowzin has been very active since his return, and was very active right before he left, so I'm glad he is running again. Izzy is someone who I respect a great deal (although he at times takes things a little personally when they aren't meant that way). I would like to see him in a Senate role. Olde Delaware is someone who is extremely experienced and who I would love to see in a leadership position. This is a difficult election for me, as I like and respect all of the candidates and would like to see them all in the Senate. My vote is therefore very winnable through the remainder of the campaign.
  • obviously unfortunate that Snowball was obliged to leave; but great to see that this has prompted people to run who didn't run in the main election

Graph4.jpg

Focusing now on the current Senate, I thought it would be interesting, three weeks after the conclusion of the Senate election, to check in on the region's thoughts regarding their super-sized Senate. Somewhat surprisingly, given that nine seats only won the size poll with 31% of the vote, 80% of respondents are now satisfied with the way things turned out. Whether this will lead to larger Senates becoming the norm will be interesting to watch for in future elections.

Graph5.jpg

Lastly, we asked if the current Senate is satisfying our region, and with 85% of respondents registering a satisfaction level above average, and 50% giving the Senate the maximum score, it seems fair to say that the Senate is doing something right, and the region is pleased with their work. Hope it lasts!

• Pichtonia’s nomination of inactive and disappeared Bri Shakespeare shows again, once more, his poor skills to govern effectively. Bri Shakespeare has done nothing in the Europeian Cosmopolitan Party and has won two times. He disappeared half of his term as Recruitment Minister. Overrated. Completely inactive figure. But it’s Pichtonia’s fault. I hope the Senate denies the nomination. Recruitment has suffered a lot this term because of Pichtonia’s horrible leadership.
  • It’s doing pretty good
  • Oversight is my only quarrel
  • Amazing work, lots of discussion!
  • A large Senate means that there are a lot of ideas churning around and a lot of different directions feedback can come from. It seems to make for longer, more protracted discussions. I'm pleased that Speaker Drecq has left space for those discussions to breathe but at the same time has pushed to move things forward when appropriate. This is a delicate balancing act.
  • despite the large size, most, if not all, of the Senators seem able to pull their weight
  • That panda guy seems kinda weird
  • What do they do?
That's it for now, thanks for reading and participating! Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, polling!

Attachments

• Graph4.jpg
    Graph4.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 122
Very interesting!! It makes sense Bowzin starts out in front after his impressive last minute bid last time, but definitely still anyone’s game.

Pichtonia’s nomination of inactive and disappeared Bri Shakespeare shows again, once more, his poor skills to govern effectively. Bri Shakespeare has done nothing in the Europeian Cosmopolitan Party and has won two times. He disappeared half of his term as Recruitment Minister. Overrated. Completely inactive figure. But it’s Pichtonia’s fault. I hope the Senate denies the nomination. Recruitment has suffered a lot this term because of Pichtonia’s horrible leadership.

"What do you think of the Senate?"
"Pichtonia is awful"

Honestly, it's kind of funny to me because the poll that I did for EBC (that should be out... soon? Is it out? I don't remember lol) has very clearly the same person making very similar comments, and over the past couple of polls there's been similar ones too. If you truly feel the FM is doing a terrible job like... maybe say something publicly instead of only privately? Not much is going to get done to address it if the only thing people read the complaints as (fairly or unfairly) is just anonymous griping.

Pichtonia’s nomination of inactive and disappeared Bri Shakespeare shows again, once more, his poor skills to govern effectively. Bri Shakespeare has done nothing in the Europeian Cosmopolitan Party and has won two times. He disappeared half of his term as Recruitment Minister. Overrated. Completely inactive figure. But it’s Pichtonia’s fault. I hope the Senate denies the nomination. Recruitment has suffered a lot this term because of Pichtonia’s horrible leadership.

"What do you think of the Senate?"
"Pichtonia is awful"

Honestly, it's kind of funny to me because the poll that I did for EBC (that should be out... soon? Is it out? I don't remember lol) has very clearly the same person making very similar comments, and over the past couple of polls there's been similar ones too. If you truly feel the FM is doing a terrible job like... maybe say something publicly instead of only privately? Not much is going to get done to address it if the only thing people read the complaints as (fairly or unfairly) is just anonymous griping.
I agree, but honestly I just ignore the comments these days. I am all for criticism, and occasionally criticism can start privately (especially if it's from inside the administration or w/e) but this seems like one person basically harassing the entire administration at this point.

Oof, this is a bad take, whoever this was....

Of all the things I could say to define Pichtonia or his term, "horrible leadership" ain't it... try again.

The idea that I have a chance at my first Senate term brings me great joy, but as HEM said, it definitely is still anyone's game, especially considering the entries that came in after the poll was announced, even if Calvin did his best to make sure people had a chance to edit.
the other left because they didnt get their way over discord
Assuming this is talking about me, there was much more to it than that, and I would be more than happy to talk to you about it in DMs if you are on discord, too.

0% people vote for me FTW!!!!! $5 says we cant lower that number even more!!!

The comment on Pichtonia is laughingly absurd. I guess someone didn't read the title...or any of the poll questions....and just wanted a platform to rant.

Maybe they should make a Grand Hall thread instead?

The comment on Pichtonia is laughingly absurd. I guess someone didn't read the title...or any of the poll questions....and just wanted a platform to rant.

you see, the problem with that is its not anonymous, theyd be outing themselves :p

you see, the problem with that is its not anonymous, theyd be outing themselves :p
Sssh, you're ruining my devious plan! :p

In fairness, they pretty much already have at this point lol ?

Thanks for getting this survey up and running (and then also the analysis out!!!) so quickly. Interesting results.

Of all the things I could say to define Pichtonia or his term, "horrible leadership" ain't it... try again.

Is it "beautiful eyelashes" ? :sneaky:

Oof, this is a bad take, whoever this was....

Maybe the commenter is confusing this with one of @HEM's terms?

It is truly sad to see that someone has decided to go down this route again. These type of anon. comments in polls can have their place, but at this point it is just someone looking to grind an axe.

Honestly, i used to feel sad that someone is saying these terrible things, now im just like why dont they grow a pair and come right out and say it to their face. Plus why dont people talk crap about me?

Honestly, i used to feel sad that someone is saying these terrible things, now im just like why dont they grow a pair and come right out and say it to their face. Plus why dont people talk crap about me?
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
How dare you!!! I thought you were my friend but you took it too far!!! Id rather listen to vogon poetry than deal with this crap!!

I want to say congratulations to Bowzin on these fantastic poll results. I won't be giving up the race but I can tell you'll be tough to beat!

I'd also like to address this anonymous commenter that's been discussed. It's disturbing for me, as the founder of the ECP, to see someone use a Senate poll to air what I can only assume are their perceived grievances against another party member and my fellow Deputy Director. We have multiple areas where such things can be discussed calmly and rationally in private among the party, and those are the appropriate areas to bring such matters. If this commenter is indeed an ECP member, I am severely disappointed in them and advise against taking this route again.

Back