Nobody Won the Debate, but Istillian is Winning the Race

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
For a little under 24 hours, Europeians responded to a poll I had posted in the Grand Hall, immediately following the debate. This poll received 24 responses, so a fairly good sample size. With the race for First Minister ending in just a few days, this will likely be one of the last glimpses we see of the race before voting begins. Let's get into the numbers!

FM 1.jpg

With 87.5% of respondents having seen the debate, we can reasonably use this poll as a post-debate picture of the race.

FM 2.jpg

The narrow winner of yesterday's debate was nobody, with a third of the vote, which matches up well with the conventional wisdom that no candidate had a great performance. However, Istillian and HEM are close behind. The only clear result is that very few people thought United Vietussia won, with one comment calling him "too abrasive", and only one respondent voting in his favor here, UV seemed to walk away from last night's event with the least upside.

FM 3.jpg

Before the debate, our respondents supported Istillian's ticket more than UV and HEM's combined, with not many undecideds. We'll use this to compare to our post-debate results.

FM 4.jpg

In pure numbers, both Istillian and HEM improved their overall vote share, but digging into the results a little more, we see that UV actually pulled a few votes away from Istillian, as well as losing to him, causing his numbers to remain the same. So, perplexingly, multiple candidates seemed to have gained some support after the debate, as well as lost some. In the end, though, this likely won't affect the race too much, as Istillian has now moved into a position where he can claim victory in the first round, earning just enough votes to avoid a runoff.
  • UV was a bit too abrasive, HEM performed well, but not enough to make up the massive gulf between him and Ist
  • I feel like there was no clear winner. Gun to my head? I guess I'd say Istillian won. UV was fairly milquetoast, and HEM's lack of a platform hurt his performance.
  • The candidates seem mostly similar in terms of policy, but HEM hasn't released his platform yet. Good on UV to try to find points to distinguish from the others. As much as I like HEM, I don't think it's fair to the other candidates for him to be running in this race since he has the advantage of name recognition and experience- people tend to listen to him more. I think it's weird that he entered the race spur of the moment without a platform ready.
At the end of this poll, the topline results don't seem to have changed much after the debate, with the frontrunner Istillian only improving on his already good position going into the event. He's hovering just close enough to a majority that it's possible UV or HEM can force a runoff, however, so this race isn't over yet, even with a clear favorite. Until next time this is Calvin Coolidge, once again plugging a mixlr broadcast discussing these results at 7:30 PM EDT.

Raw Results

Interesting, but not really. :p

Good poll! Just not a lot new.

Yeah, none of this is particularly surprising, although this
multiple candidates seemed to have gained some support after the debate, as well as lost some
is indeed kinda odd!!

Nice write-up, and I'm looking forward to the broadcast :)

I don't think it's completely fair to say I joined the race without a platform! My running mate broke up with me, I found a new running mate, and I wanted to give them time to add feedback and thoughts to the platform.

That being said, I am very encouraged to see folks receptive to my debate performance and it's clear this is still a wide open race with Istillian in the lead.

I don't think it's completely fair to say I joined the race without a platform! My running mate broke up with me, I found a new running mate, and I wanted to give them time to add feedback and thoughts to the platform.

That being said, I am very encouraged to see folks receptive to my debate performance and it's clear this is still a wide open race with Istillian in the lead.
Yea, I thought that comment was odd.

Back