New IRC embedded client and other changes

r3naissanc3r

Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Hi all,

The admins have made some changes to the forum.

First, the link under "IRC Channel" has been changed, to make use of a much better webclient for IRC, provided by the EsperNet IRC Network. This is a much more pleasant client to use, compared to the mibbit we had before, with no ads and other annoyances. Furthermore, the client is now embedded in the forum. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Second, the "Regional Information" part of the header is now updated automatically once per day (at around 7 am EST), drawing information from the NS API. If there is any other information about the region/world you would like to see there, post a suggestion and we will consider it.

Best,
r3n.

For the record, when r3n says 'the admins have made some changes to the forum', he means that he has. He deserves all the credit for his great work.

Hi all,

The admins have made some changes to the forum.

First, the link under "IRC Channel" has been changed, to make use of a much better webclient for IRC, provided by the EsperNet IRC Network. This is a much more pleasant client to use, compared to the mibbit we had before, with no ads and other annoyances. Furthermore, the client is now embedded in the forum. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Second, the "Regional Information" part of the header is now updated automatically once per day (at around 7 am EST), drawing information from the NS API. If there is any other information about the region/world you would like to see there, post a suggestion and we will consider it.

Best,
r3n.
Awesome changes! A round of applause for r3n. :euro:

Yes, R3n is is our technical admin. So don't pester him for day-to-day requests. :p

How can we check who else is using the client? Is there a command to use?

I should point out that the actual work I had to put into the IRC client was minimal. All I had to do was write some simple wrapper code for making the client look like a board. We should thank the programmers at the Esper IRC Network for putting together such a nice and easy to use web client.

The header, I am more excited about. Not for the header itself, but for the infrastructure behind it. Expect to see a few neat things coming out of it soon.

Dre said:
How can we check who else is using the client? Is there a command to use?
No, there isn't. But, everyone using the client from here automatically joins our IRC channel, #euro. Once there, you can see to the right who else is in the channel. To see which of these members are connected using the web client, you can use the
Code:
whois NAME
command. In the details printed, you will see their IP starting with
Code:
webchat@
and their server being stated as
Code:
webchat.esper.net
For instance, here is the WHOIS report for me right now:
Code:
[11:37][11:38] == r3ntemp [webchat@REDACTED]
[11:38] ==  realname : http://www.esper.net/
[11:38] ==  channels : #euro
[11:38] ==  server   : webchat.esper.net [http://webchat.esper.net/ (Dallas, TX, USA)]
[11:38] ==  idle     : 0 days 0 hours 0 minutes 41 seconds [connected: Wed Nov 14 11:37:19 2012]
[11:38] == End of WHOIS

Back