My pick for the next President

I know I shouldn't be making political endorsements via our official media sources. But my pick for the next President after this long running one would likely be Elizabeth Warren from the Democratic Party. She's definitely more of a leftist than Obama and less of a war hawk, certainly a better choice in my mind than Hillary Clinton.

Depending on the Republican candidate I could be tempted to support them. The tea party elements within the party make it difficult for a logical choice sometimes within the party but members such as Rick Perry and Jeb Bush have been quite progressive on issues such as prison reform & immigration reform respectively. I know that Rick Perry seemed quite "dumb" last time around, but in my opinion it's pretty cool that he's trying to reduce prison sentences and reduce the prison population in the States.

Anyhow, this title is mainly a false flag to trick and scare people. Who do you think should be the next President of the United States?

Elizabeth Warren is my Senator. I like her very much. She is bright and principled, and the people I know who went to HLS (including some who don't like Warren's politics) say she was a great professor. But she had more than her share of trouble getting elected as a Democrat in Massachusetts; she's too unpolished and too far left to win the presidency.

Skizzy Grey said:
Elizabeth Warren is my Senator. I like her very much. She is bright and principled, and the people I know who went to HLS (including some who don't like Warren's politics) say she was a great professor. But she had more than her share of trouble getting elected as a Democrat in Massachusetts; she's too unpolished and too far left to win the presidency.
Now I know where you live :ph43r:

JK :lol:

I cannot believe someone called Rick Perry progressive.

Btw, Rick Perry IS a member of the Tea Party, literally has a membership card..............

But hey, maybe Im wrong, lets take a look at all these PROGRESSIVE positions....

-Ban stem cell research
-Said that Boy Scouts' no-gays is principled like stand against slavery.
-"Homosexuals are inappropriate role model for adolescent boys." - Feb. 2008
-Supports Constitutional Amendment to prevent same sex marriage.
-Support Death Penalty for aggravated rape.
-Vetoed ban on execution of mentally retarded inmates.
-Wants to destroy the Department of Education.
-Believes that "Campaign contributions are political free speech." and they should be unlimited.
-Supports Gitmo, says US is safer because of it.
-Fully supports waterboarding.
-Supports 7% flat tax on ALL INCOMES.
-"I would send troops back into Iraq, to exclude Iran." - Jan. 2012
-Says "Many homeless choose their lifestyle" - Feb. 2008

Zenny Anumia said:
Btw, Rick Perry IS a member of the Tea Party
Source?

He and the Tea Party have had a contentious relationship since 2011 at least. They quickly backed him as GOP frontrunner but later dropped him just as quickly. He's called them out on their bullshit and general impotence multiple times, especially in the last year, but still he seems to be gaining traction again. Probably because he's been riding the tax cut train lately, although he's pretty vague on specifics so I'm not sure what to do with that.

And Rach never called him progressive, she pointed out his progressive stance on a couple issues. Surprise: you can be a conservative and still have some liberal/progressive values, and vice versa. You listing his various other non-progressive stances is literally irrelevant.

modernsin said:
And Rach never called him progressive, she pointed out his progressive stance on a couple issues. Surprise: you can be a conservative and still have some liberal/progressive values, and vice versa. You listing his various other non-progressive stances is literally irrelevant.
I wasnt aware wanting the Army deployed to the border and increased death penalties were "progressive".

He has 0 progressive positions, MS.

People beating up on the poor and vulnerable is not progressive. They do NOT choose their lifestyle. Eh I just want to break something.

Zenny Anumia said:
modernsin said:
I wasnt aware wanting the Army deployed to the border and increased death penalties were "progressive".

He has 0 progressive positions, MS.
Texas shut down at least 3 prisons since 2011 and supported legislation on criminal rehab programs. That's progressive. That doesn't mean Rick Perry is a progressive, but he's not 100% conservative on every stance. Few people are.

No source on the Tea Party thing, huh?

I said his position on prison reform was progressive and it is. In 2003, Texas passed a law in which people convicted of possessing less than a gram of drugs were sent not to prison but to probation. Under Rick Perry, the State also put $241 million dollars aside for drug-treatment and prison alternatives for those convicted for non-violent crimes.

Prisons and the high incarceration rates in the U.S. are a major issue and in my opinion a black eye on it. There needs to be more done by members of both parties in order to change attitudes and end the "war on drugs". To not be able to say that he has one progressive stance is in my opinion pretty extreme.

You must be very widespread on the scale to say ohh I think Elizabeth Warren is the best candidate, and then to go on and say you could be swayed into voting for Jeb Bush or Rick Perry xDDD

Warren is a progressive champion, Perry is a tea party darling and Bush is a republican party favorite. Might as well say youd be swayed into voting for Hitler x)

Yeah, and I would need to see the platforms. I couldn't vote for Perry, having seen enough of him last time. Jeb Bush? Maaaybe, but I really don't know much about him. I said I could be swayed by a Republican, and gave two examples about how two of them have done one thing progressively.

The funniest thing about this all is that I live in Canada where all the main parties are pretty much more to the left than the two major American parties and I've voted Liberal every time I could :p

Rach said:
Yeah, and I would need to see the platforms. I couldn't vote for Perry, having seen enough of him last time. Jeb Bush? Maaaybe, but I really don't know much about him. I said I could be swayed by a Republican, and gave two examples about how two of them have done one thing progressively.

The funniest thing about this all is that I live in Canada where all the main parties are pretty much more to the left than the two major American parties and I've voted Liberal every time I could :p
Yeah, American liberalism is not the same thing as liberalism. :p

That said, I don't see the prison reform thing as the start of a progressive trend in Perry's politics. Again, the Tea Party seems to be coming around to him again, and if he runs for Pres in 2016 (likely) then they'll probably channel some funds his way.

I haven't really followed Jeb's career after his Governorship, but I wasn't too impressed with his FL career. Then again, his brother was President at the time, which might have influenced his policies a little bit. :p

Zenny Anumia said:
You must be very widespread on the scale to say ohh I think Elizabeth Warren is the best candidate, and then to go on and say you could be swayed into voting for Jeb Bush or Rick Perry xDDD

Warren is a progressive champion, Perry is a tea party darling and Bush is a republican party favorite. Might as well say youd be swayed into voting for Hitler x)
She was the head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and a senator?

Rach said:
Also, saying I could be swayed into voting for Hitler is pretty out there and uncalled for.
It was a joke.

Im just saying you said you could be tempted to vote for candidates that are complete opposites for each other x)

Its like hmmm well I might like Gandhi, but ya know, Stalin seems like a pretty good guy too.

Back