Mission Discussion

Sopo

If specified, this will replace the title that dis
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi everyone, and thanks for joining the OIM. I'd really like to discuss what we want out of this as an organization, perhaps by drafting a "mission statement" and by-laws for conduct.

As I mentioned when I started the group, my primary goal for the OIM is to facilitate greater cooperation between outlets to make sure private media in Europeia is as good as possible. By creating a forum for open dialogue on issues facing the region and journalism in general, my hope is that activity in private media will increase.

Furthermore, I think the OIM could serve as a protector of journalistic standards, holding outlets accountable when they publish news/editorials/whatever of questionable quality.

Lastly, we could coordinate fun events, like a News Satire Festival or Journalism Fellowships for new members.

Let me know what you think, and please give more suggestions.

Anyone else have input? Otherwise I'll draw something up.

I think a major function of this body should be to coordinate coverage of events that would otherwise risk over-saturation or redundancy. A prime example would be election polling. How we approach that is a problematic prospect but worth exploring. We can't choose who can or cannot run polling at their desire. We can, in advance, brainstorm on content and presentation of polling so the landscape is more varied. These ideas can be transferred to other functions of our media that pose the same problems.

I'm sure we can agree on a code of conduct that addresses journalistic integrity, our relations with one another, and our responsibility to the community. This would be separate from a simple but also necessary mission statement. We could include both in a charter of sorts. Also worth considering is whether we want to be selective as it pertains to new membership and whether or not we want to empower officers of some kind.

My initial thought is that once everyone has plenty of opportunity to join, we will institute some sort of voting procedure for admitting (or expelling) members.

As for the rest, I agree entirely. I think we should come up with the mission statement first, followed by a charter.

Feel free to post ideas for mission statements, and I'll throw mine down later.

For the actual mission statement, our goal should be to, like you said, foster activity and discussion through private media, and hold news outlets accountable. I don't know what else we would need for a mission. I can see adding more for a charter, like you said, but we aren't there yet.

Calvin Coolidge said:
For the actual mission statement, our goal should be to, like you said, foster activity and discussion through private media, and hold news outlets accountable. I don't know what else we would need for a mission. I can see adding more for a charter, like you said, but we aren't there yet.
I see this being an ideal mission statement.

So, as far as a mission statement, this is what I'm proposing:

The Organization for Independent Media (OIM) aims to provide a forum for constructive discussion and cooperation between journalists and media outlets, thereby increasing the quality, quantity, reliability, and reputation of private media in Europeia.

If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I'll release this.

The Organization for Independent Media (OIM) aims to provide a forum for constructive discussion and cooperation between journalists and media outlets, thereby increasing the quality and quantity of private media in Europeia.

Anumia said:
I like CSP's suggestions, but wonder about the "how" of a lot of those in the OP.
Which, specifically?

"As I mentioned when I started the group, my primary goal for the OIM is to facilitate greater cooperation between outlets to make sure private media in Europeia is as good as possible."

"Furthermore, I think the OIM could serve as a protector of journalistic standards, holding outlets accountable when they publish news/editorials/whatever of questionable quality."

As to the first, that's what this forum is to do. Simply having a place to discuss current issues and how to cover them will make it easier to cooperate. Like CSP said, it will be especially relevant when it comes to election polling next cycle.

With the latter, if we all agree upon certain standards, we can enforce those standards by condoning specific pieces or ejecting members from the OIM, if necessary.

No. Do we still feel that this is a worthwhile venture?

Calvin Coolidge said:
Sopo said:
Do we still feel that this is a worthwhile venture?
Don't give up on me now, Sopo! flail.gif
I'm not necessarily giving up, but there's not a lot of private media activity to be coordinated.

Back