Midterm Poll: Activity Concerns, But Voters Don’t Blame Gleg

Midterm Poll: Activity Concerns, But Voters Don’t Blame Gleg
Much of the Executive sees solid approval despite voter concern over activity

Written by McEntire
Edits by PhDre

It seems that everywhere you look in Europeia, the warning signs of impending doom are flashing. The President himself felt it necessary to publish a speech titled Through Adversity, where he decried “scary” activity levels, a “weird and wonky term,” and the “complete dip in warm bodies” that has stifled ministerial output. According to our Europeian Broadcasting Corporation midterm poll, voters have noticed the activity concerns, but aren’t ready to ring the alarm bell just yet.

Although 60% of those surveyed said that they would describe themselves as concerned or very concerned about activity levels in Europeia, 60% also said that Europeia is on the right track. And voters are certainly not tagging the incumbent administration with responsibility for activity issues, with 80% approving of the Executive and 88% approving of the performance of President Writinglegend.

Much of the rest of the administration gets high marks, and in many cases - Interior, Communications, Culture, and World Assembly Affairs - the ministers themselves see higher approval ratings than their ministries. Even if voters don’t see the hum of activity in the executive, they are blaming factors outside of the administration’s control, such as the oft-mentioned staffing shortage.

The EBC ran this poll from October 15th - 18th and saw 25 respondents.

Midterm Satisfaction Ratings

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the overall performance of the Executive?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Forms response chart. Question title: Is the Europeia on the right track?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Forms response chart. Question title: How concerned are you about activity levels in Europeia?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Overall Executive Satisfaction: 80% satisfied/very satisfied, 4% dissatisfied, 16% unsure
Is Europeia on the Right Track? 60% yes, 24% no, 16% unsure
How concerned are you about activity levels in Europeia? 60% concerned/very concerned, 32% unconcerned/very unconcerned, 8% unsure

The three questions above paint a clear narrative picture: voters have noticed the inactivity, have concerns about it, but do not blame government actions. Europeia’s longevity may provide some security in this matter, as many commenters noted or assumed a cyclical nature to activity. Their levels of concern range from “[w]e should be deeply concerned” to “[w]e just need to take a deep breath and regroup”.

The number of Europeians that think we are on the right track has tumbled since the August midterm satisfaction poll, in which 100% of respondents said the region was on the right track. But even with nearly a quarter saying we are not on the right track, only a single respondent expressed dissatisfaction with the executive.

I have not seen much of what the Executive has been doing so far this term and to me it feels like the executive has not been doing anything really.

idk i like the militia

Trying its hardest in difficult times

Some people are attempting to hype up the activity from the lull everywhere this term, and you can tell when a cabinet member is not.

Has seemed to have cooled off, especially as compared to recent terms, but overall a good job.
Current activity levels and engagement from the citizenry is low. Are people interested in the issues and opportunities offered?

From what i have seen, most of the Ministry's are dealing with not much activity and i have not seen the executive being much active either.

Look I get that were all a bit worried but like, shit happens. We just need to take a deep breath and regroup

well i mean, i guess recruitment numbers are lower, and a lot of people are also getting busier as summer break leaves us.

We've not been this inactive since 2018, and it's not even Summer anymore. We should be deeply concerned about activity not picking up again.

It seems to be more dead in some areas than others, and since other ministers are able to drum up some activity, it leaves me with questions as to what the other ministers in their dead ministries are actually doing...and not just saying they're doing or going to do.

Certain areas (Comms especially) are quiet, but I’m generally pleased with activity levels in government.

President Writinglegend Job Satisfaction: 88% satisfied/very satisfied, 4% dissatisfied, 8% unsure
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of President Writinglegend?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

President Writinglegend out-performs his own executive, with a majority saying that they are “very satisfied” with the job he’s doing. Even after two and a half terms, and even with mixed results this term, voters are still giving the president high marks. Although he has made it clear that he is not running for re-election, we will see further down in this poll that only 28% would not support his re-election at this time - a remarkable number for a president who has served for nearly six months.

I am unsure since i have not seen much activity from the President at all if i am being honest and i think the president is prioritizing the other Ministries rather than the Executive.

Hes a fucking legend

This early term hasn't been as groundbreaking and exciting as last term, but its smooth sailing and there isn't much (or anything at all) that i want to complain about

I feel that he reached his peak in the second term and has run out of steam. He's just not as involved as he was in the past two terms, and I think this is a clear lesson that two terms really should be the limit for everyone even Writinglegend.

He's rallying the troops as best as he's able and keeping the public aware of what's going on.

Another stellar term.

Vice President Sarah Job Satisfaction: 60% satisfied/very satisfied, 20% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 20% unsure
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Vice President Sarah?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Vice President Sarah posts one of the lower job approval ratings of the executive, although a majority are still satisfied with her performance. Several commenters noted a lack of visibility or activity, which may account for these somewhat lackluster ratings.
I have not seen Sarah done much so far this term and i know a person can be busy but i have seen less activity from Sarah than the President.

Sarah seems to have been doing wonderful work in Interior!

Great vp

sarah's fun and engaging with the community

She's not really involved in any Ministry or project that I can see.

This is a hard comment to make about someone that I know is incredibly capable, but I don't know what Sarah has done as Vice President this term at all. I'm sure she has been working hard behind the scenes, however there have been no public announcements from the office of the Vice President as was promised in the original campaign. While Gleg and Sarah and their team have done very well considering the current activity and engagement levels, I do wish this was a campaign promise that was being fulfilled so that we had some idea of what the Vice President is doing.

I don't really see her doing much this term when I feel like drumming up activity in dead ministries could be her focal point. Especially since drumming up activity is a discord-based task and not forum-based.

Who?

Rising to the occasion. No sour dough here.

Grand Admiral Icarus Job Satisfaction: 84% satisfied/very satisfied, 12% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 4% unsure
Europeian Republican Navy: 88% satisfied/very satisfied, 8% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 4% unsure
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Grand Admiral Icarus?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the ERN?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Both the Grand Admiral and the ERN have stellar approval ratings, with the Navy reporting the highest satisfaction rate of any ministry. Commenters noted the successful roll-out of the ERN Militia program, as well as Icarus’ own personal enthusiasm and popularity. With the administration’s continuing focus on military matters, these high satisfaction ratings must be a point of pride for them.
I am very Proud of what the ERN has become and ica/my penguin buddy has been extremely active and i am Proud of her for doing a wonderful job and i hope one day that she is the president.

Icarus is infectiously enthusiastic as GA :)

Luv icarus, luv the navy, luv independence, simple as

Too many events during minor, not enough operational balance

as mentioned before, im really happy with the militia system, as well as the stuff the ERN has done this term, like the raid of the corrupt dictator stuff

Amazing term so far!! Lots of stuff happening, Icarus is engaged, and the militia rollout was great!

The ERN doesn't, as far as I've seen, have an activity issue compared to earlier terms. Icarus stays at the helm and leads the ship to safe waters.

ERN 5ever!

I LOVE THE ERN

ERN has been the golden goose that’s kept giving this year. It’s kind of amazing.

Minister of Interior Le Libertie Satisfaction: 88% satisfied/very satisfied, 12% unsure
Ministry of Interior: 76% satisfied/very satisfied, 12% dissatisfied, 12% unsure
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Interior Le Libertie?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the Ministry of Interior?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Interior is an area that has seen both highs and lows, often occurring at the same time in the same term. In Writinglegend’s midterm address, he noted both that manual recruitment had dwindled and that regional population is at its highest point since April. Le Libertie is a longtime Interior contributor, and posts the highest satisfaction rating of any minister. This is another case where the minister outperforms the ministry itself, but even so, the respondents of this survey don’t seem concerned about the output of Interior.
I am Proud of the Ministry of Interior despite calvin and Le Libertie Caring the Minstry but with my motivation speech in the recruiter lounge with getting people to recruit more which worked but i am Proud of our delegate/Minister for doing a wonderful job :)

LL has been doing a great job despite personnel issues in the ministry

The ministry has been struggling with unprecedented inactivity, but LL has been really trying

although recruitment numbers and welcoming is waining, i still really like Le LIbertia and the efforts they've put in.

Despite fewer people involved, LL and those who are still active are trying their hardest and still getting work done.

LL always performs and he does shine where it concerns getting people active by simply dming them consistently.

They seem to be doing alright, but I couldn’t tell you exactly what they’re doing.

Minister of Communications Lime Satisfaction: 52% satisfied/very satisfied, 32% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 16% unsure
Ministry of Communications: 32% satisfied/very satisfied, 48% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 20% unsure
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Communications Lime?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the Ministry of Communications?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Communications has suffered this term, with no new EBC articles out between October 3 and the publishing of this article. Both Minister Lime and the ministry are given the lowest marks of anyone in this poll, with Communications being the only ministry that has a plurality of dissatisfied respondents. Still, a majority are satisfied with Lime’s performance, with several commenters crediting his activity and chalking the challenges up to a decline in the number of ministry staff.
I think Lime is trying their best, but activity is low across the board and we don't have much happening in Comms.

I have seen a few articles getting done but overall i have not seen much getting down with edits usually taking a few days to happen.

Comms is really difficult to handle during periods of inactivity, it looks like Lime's been trying his best despite this

I think Lime is doing a good job especially considering the activity levels

ebc articles are great as always

Lime is trying his hardest and seems to be the main driver of activity in the Ministry right now, but it just doesn't seem like there's many if any active writers in Comms now.

I feel like there's been times where comments, idea generation, assigning tasks, and keeping the trains running on time could've been accomplished, but Lime is not a person who's likely to be at the forefront to give enough energy to these tasks. How long does it take to dm people and ask 'what's going on with this' or 'can you do this thing' if a simple ping in comms discord doesn't work? People signed up to be active. Hold them accountable.

Sort of a down term. I just don’t see a ton of new content.

Minister of World Assembly Affairs Sanjurika Satisfaction: 64% satisfied/very satisfied, 28% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 8% unsure
Ministry of World Assembly Affairs: 52% satisfied/very satisfied, 28% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 20% unsure
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of World Assembly Affairs Sanjurika?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

World Assembly Affairs is another ministry with a gulf between the approval of the minister and the ministry itself. Several commenters praised Sanjurika’s work, but the ministry only has a bare majority satisfied with its work. World Assembly Affairs is not one of the more visible ministries, so it is possible that respondents simply aren’t sure what to make of this term yet, but its low marks are notable, compared to many of the other ministries.
I have not seen anyone active in this Ministry and not in quite some time.

Sanju has been working really hard for the ministry this term

There was a bit of a weird moment there with one of those declarations but Id chalk it up to activity problems

not a part of the WA cause ERN so i haven't been paying much attention

Sanj is trying his hardest to get people engaged and working on IVFs and stuff, but it doesn't look like the staff are very engaged or active. He's definitely doing most of the work himself.

WAA really doesn't have any activity issues that are grinding things to a halt. IFVs come out timely and discussions about proposals do seem to happen appropriately.

Such a hard Ministry to make a dent.

Not projecting on the world stage as well as they have under previous Ministers.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Pland Adanna Satisfaction: 60% satisfied/very satisfied, 12% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 28% unsure
Ministry of Foreign Affairs: 64% satisfied/very satisfied, 12% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 24% undecided
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Foreign Affairs Pland Adanna?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

After a couple terms of turmoil, the administration is taking care to project calm in foreign affairs this term. Minister Pland Adanna’s midterm address, titled Settling Waters, sought to portray a term about stability and ratcheting down the rate of change in the foreign affairs sphere. This quieter approach may be backfiring a little in public perception, though, with Pland Adanna sporting the second-lowest satisfaction rating of the Cabinet and the highest proportion of respondents unsure of how to rate the minister. These numbers are a little shaky, but not in the negative by any means, and perhaps to be expected after several turbulent terms and with a minister new to the role.
I have not seen much of what is going on in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and i would need to see some of it to get a taste of it.

haven't been paying attention to FA but the event seems nice

A quiet MoFA is a good MoFA, and I know Pland is working hard behind the scenes. Still, it'd be nice to see some more engagement with staff via programmes like The Watch.

I know FA is moving, and PA is doing his best to involve everyone in what's going on. I just wish we had more to do as ambassadors.

Who? That said, a silent MoFA is a wonderful MoFA

PA has been fine, if unspectacular. Certainly deserving of another go.

Minister of Culture Turbiatop Satisfaction: 76% satisfied/very satisfied, 12% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 12% unsure
Ministry of Culture: 64% satisfied/very satisfied, 16% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 20% unsure
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Culture Turbiatop?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the Ministry of Culture?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Turbiatop is another case where the minister outperforms the ministry in satisfaction ratings, with a particularly high 40% very satisfied with their job performance. Commenters gave Turbiatop rave reviews in the role, and noted the ovation of Lloenflys as a highlight of the term. One disgruntled commenter noted that the “Ministry of Culture is a waste of time,” reinforcing the old adage that you can’t win ‘em all.
Turby has been a great Minster of Culture and this term was his best i would say with people getting ideas and with the rmb becoming more involved is making this Ministry more fun than ever.

I loved Lloenflys' ovation ceremony, it was a lot of fun!

He's truly a workhouse. His energy is so amazing, especially in these tough times.

Turb's really encouraging and helpful, and just gosh darn great

Turb is very engaged and active as Minister and the staff also appear to be working hard. Lloen's ovation was well thought-out and planned, with nice personal
touches for him, and I know there's lots of interesting ideas being considered as well.

Turbiatop is trying his absolute best and doing a great job. Absolute top marks.

The Ovation was very fun. It was centered around Lloen's hobbies and got some good engagement. There have been some trivia this term, I think, and I hope we see a Halloween event, even if a small one.

The Ministry of Culture is a waste of time.

Turb has been amazing!!!!!

The red panda has leaped! And it might have gotten itself up into space.

Ministry of Radio Satisfaction: 64% satisfied/very satisfied, 16% dissatisfied/very dissatisfied, 20% unsure
Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the Ministry of Radio?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Given that he was only in the job for a brief period before this poll was put out, Radio Minister Calvin Coolidge was not included in this poll. But after the resignation of Minister Sopo and a relative decline in the number of shows this term, it is perhaps surprising that the ministry still sports a solid approval rating. President Writinglegend’s midterm address called out Communications and Radio as the most sensitive to activity concerns. So again, while voters may note the difficulty in activity in Radio, they are not placing blame at the foot of the administration.
I have not seen this Ministry done much at all this term despite seeing them talk in stage a few times this term and overall it has been disappointing to see it like this.

We've being seeing a downturn in Radio activity for the past couple of terms so it's not really a surprise that this term has been so slow. When staff numbers fall this is what happens, it's not the fault of any one Minister or President but it's been good to see Writinglegend at least drive some activity with his Goldenblock series.

No output from this ministry this term really. WL is keeping radio above water with his series, but the shows have slowed to a halt. Calvin is new to the ministry and probably doesn't have a lot of time/energy to put into it cause of the shifting ministers. I hope he can hold people who signed up to do stuff accountable before end of term.

Are there even shows?

Feels like a lot of the content is Sopo and Gleg-driven, interesting given Sopo’s resignation, so I’d like to see some diversity of hosters and what not.

The Next Election

Re-Elect Writinglegend?
36% yes, 28% no, 36% unsure
Forms response chart. Question title: Would you support the re-election of President Writinglegend?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
In any other situation, these would be viewed as weak re-elect numbers for a president. However, given that Writinglegend is finishing out his third consecutive term and has announced his intention not to run again, the fact that he starts with this level of support is impressive. Over a third of respondents would support his re-election, and only 28% would be opposed at this time. Again, we should note that Writinglegend has repeatedly said he is not running again, but the electorate has not foreclosed the possibility entirely.

Which Cabinet members would you like to see return next term?

Forms response chart. Question title: Which Cabinet members would you like to see return next term?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Barring Minister of Communications Lime, all members of cabinet have a majority wanting to see them return. Grand Admiral Icarus is the most sought-after to return, with 72% saying they’d like to see her return next term. A bare majority of 52% want to see Sanjurika, Pland Adanna, and Calvin Coolidge return to their posts. Every minister has more respondents that are satisfied with their job performance than the number who would like to see them return. This suggests that while voters appreciate their efforts this term, they want to see new blood in the coming term.

Who would you like to see run for President/selected as Vice President next term?

Icarus - 7
Pland Adanna - 5
PhDre - 3
Sopo - 3
Sarah - 3
Kuramia - 3
Sanjurika - 3
Calvin Coolidge - 2
Lloenflys - 2
SkyGreen - 2
Le Libertie - 2
Prim - 2
Olde Delaware - 2
Darkslayer - 2
Candidates receiving one mention: Grandfather Clock, Istillian, Turbiatop, Lethen, HEM, Pichtonia, Aexnidaral Seymour

Pland Adanna - 5
Le Libertie - 5
Icarus - 5
Kuramia - 4
Sanjurika - 4
Darkslayer - 4
PhDre - 3
Sarah - 3
Lloenflys - 3
Calvin Coolidge - 2
Grandfather Clock - 2
Istillian - 2
Sopo - 2
SkyGreen - 2
Prim - 2
Turbiatop - 2
Pichtonia - 2
Candidates receiving one mention: Lime, Olde Delaware, Lethen, HEM, Aexnidaral Seymour

The most sought after candidates for the next president are the current Grand Admiral and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Icarus and Pland Adanna. Either of these would represent fresh blood in the Goldenblock. Overall, this is a wide field of candidates who receive mention, perhaps due to uncertainty of the post-Writinglegend era or the many leaders who have grown during the stability of this era.

And while it doesn’t make a lot of sense to ask who people would like to see as Vice President… we did it anyway! Many of the same names are popular, suggesting that people would like to see Pland Adanna, Icarus, and Le Libertie in particular on a ticket next term.

Who would you like to see in the Cabinet and in which position?

Grand Admiral - Icarus (2), Kuramia (2), Cove, Vor, Peeps
Foreign Affairs - Pland Adanna, Sopo
World Assembly Affairs - GrandfatherClock, Maowi
Interior - Le Libertie (2), Prov
Communications - PhDre (2), Kuramia, Seva
Culture - Istillian (2), Spagtopia, Prov, Turbiatop, Sarah
Radio - Lime
Attorney General - tbsowers, Olde Delaware, SkyGreen

Again, voters seem to be casting a wide net in looking for people to consider for different Cabinet positions. Some want to see old standbys return, such as PhDre in Communications, but several new names also appear on these lists. Only time will tell if staffing shortages at the more junior levels will mean minister shortages down the road.

Final Comments and Conclusion
Hail Icarus and her Navy!

Be the activity you want to see in the world!

drink some water and have a wonderful day!!!

Seeing as he's not in the poll I just wanted to comment that OD seems to be doing good work as AG despite things getting less busy for the office lately!

We need ministers that are committed to dming people to get them to do work when they sign up for a ministry.

I don’t think I would have included the “Would you support [Gleg] for re-election?” when he’s already said he’s not standing again!

Despite widely acknowledged concerns with activity, EBC poll respondents think that the region is headed in the right direction and give the final (for now?) Writinglegend administration solid marks. The next presidential election is wide open, and the post-Writinglegend era is uncertain. The administration’s investment in foreign affairs/military matters seems to have paid off in higher approval. But the next administration will want to shore up domestic strength, especially in the area of media.

The biggest unanswered question is this: is the activity downturn a blip that will soon abate, or a longer-term problem? And if so, what more can be done to bring people into the process? If Writinglegend’s focus on newer members and education didn’t work, what can we try next? Only time will tell.

i think the president is prioritizing the other Ministries rather than the Executive.
Confused on what the commenter means by this. Mostly because the executive is comprised of the ministries. I'm just not understanding what he's supposed to be focused on if not the ministries.

The Ministry of Culture is a waste of time.
@Darkslayer Too easy, man.

While I don’t think it’s fair to throw the whole activity crisis on Writinglegeng’s shoulders, I do feel like the electorate has been a little too keen to throw up their hands and say it’s nobodies fault and there’s nothing we can do.

I think WL has been a great leader over the decades. I also think something just isn’t working right now. I can’t promise that a new President succeeding WL will do better, but I do wish the electorate had energy for some kind of accountability. Like, frankly, I feel like these approval polls have become pretty useless over the last year or so. Every President either has 90%+ or 0% (sorry Lime).

Back