Midterm Executive Satisfaction Poll - Analysis

Midterm Executive Satisfaction Poll
Results and Analysis December 2019

Written by Bowzin and Maowi

The midterm mark recently passed for both the domestic and the foreign executive, bringing with it the customary Europeian Broadcasting Corporation satisfaction poll to assess the government's standing in Europeia's eyes. The poll's results and analysis are presented below.

As a note, Dax's approval rating in her role as second minister was not taken due to her very recent ascension to the position.

Overall Executive Satisfaction

The executive branch has a strong 85.7 percent approval rating overall, with only two out of 21 respondents saying they disapproved of the current performance. Some have voiced concerns with the executive going slow or not meeting goals, but with public acknowledgement of falling short and promises to meet these goals in the future, the executive holds a positive view from the region.

It's been slow so far.

Overall, the executive is doing well this term. However, there have been goals that have not been met. Since the administration has acknowledged this, I won't hold it too strongly against them but it prevents a "strongly approve" rating.

First Minister and Cabinet Satisfaction

The Cabinet and first minister have a similar approval rating, coming in at 80.9 percent, with no negative responses, although four out of 21 responses were neutral. This seems to be most likely a result of the recent shifts in leadership, with Rachael stepping down as second minister and minister of interior, requiring a few changes in the Cabinet structure, leaving things running a little slower as the Cabinet gets back on its feet.

With all the leadership changes, it's been pretty slow.

First Minister Calvin Coolidge Satisfaction

First Minister Calvin Coolidge has a commanding 95.2 percent approval rating, with no neutrals, and a single respondent in disapproval. On top of this, 71.4 percent of responses were marked with strong approval. With his frequent updates and communication with the region, alongside his ability to handle the second minister vacancy with ease, he has given himself a good reputation and proven his abilities to lead the region, despite his somewhat recent return. Furthermore, his engagement with the region both on the forums and discord give a sense of activity to both newcomers and long time citizens.

He's communicated very well.

Minister of Culture Dax Satisfaction

Minister of Culture and now Second Minister Dax comes in with the exact same approval rating of 95.2 percent but boasts a 0% disapproval, and only one neutral response. Through her three terms as minister of culture, Dax has continued to show she is capable of leading the ministry to great places, with consistent weekend games and the hit Yule Ball festival. The festival was very popular, bringing in NationStates players from a number of regions and providing fun and games both on discord and on our forums, a combination we have not done much before.

The yule ball (especially on Discord) is really well done!

A little messy with preparation of the festival, but the festival was a success.

Minister of Communications Xecrio Satisfaction

Minister of Communications Xecrio has a more mixed response, with a slightly lower 61.9 percent approval rating, 28.6 percent neutral, and 9.5 percent disapproval. Xecrio has one of the highest neutral ratings, and it seems this is in response to lack of dispatch and upvote squad activity. While he has been able to control the ministry well, producing quality content on multiple subjects, article frequency has decreased slightly from when the ministry was under different leadership.

Xecrio has met a few big challenges head on, and I've been impressed with his ability to take on the role of MinComm and keep Euro informed of his activity along the way

No dispatches. No dispatch squad. I wanted one thing. :p

Minister of Radio Cuddles Satisfaction

Minister of Radio cuddles has the exact same approval ratings as his colleague Xecrio, although a slightly less strong approval. His high neutral rating is most likely due to the lack of consistent shows, although the shows which he has produced through the ministry have been popular. The recent decline in activity during the holiday season is expected, but still slightly disappointing. Also, as one of the smallest ministries, it is hard for cuddles to increase participation, leaving most of the planning and hosting up to him. Hopefully, we see more activity as we come out of the holiday season.

Seemed to start strong but got quiet over the holiday. Would have liked to see some integration between Radio and Culture for the Ovation, but that could fall on all parties an d just cuddles.

Really happy to see cuddles shine in this role, I'm rooting for his success!

While I think cuddles does a great job when running shows, there seems to have been a natural dip in activity for the holiday period - I'm not dissatisfied with him as Minister at all, he's very capable, I just wish there was more content.

Seems to not have enough people to do shows, but I have seen shows and they've been popular.

Radio could be producing more content than it is currently.

Ministry of Interior Satisfaction

The Ministry of Interior, having recently undergone leadership changes, pulled in a very mixed review, with a 66.7 percent approval rating, but the highest disapproval rating of any ministry. The new minister, Rand, seems to bring optimism to the region for the ministry's future performance, as he has already been able to increase recruiting efforts and has a history as minister of interior. Hopefully the second half of the term will see more positive feedback from the region.

Rand has been visible as a recruiter and motivating others to recruit.

While currently the weakest area for the administration, the recent turnover in leadership has me very optimistic for this Ministry's future

Trending in the right direction under Rand

Rand did well to drum up activity during xmas stuff!

Chief of State and Council of State Satisfaction

80 percent of respondents approve of the foreign executive's performance, to some extent, so far this term - and, significantly, no votes expressed dissatisfaction, with four respondents out of 21 neutral about the department and the rest almost evenly split between approval and strong approval. This consistent support shows at the very least that the Council of State has managed to avoid any significant blunders, and that nor has it made any particularly controversial moves or decisions. The single commenter expressed a wish for greater communication from the councils' leadership to the populace; although Chief of State HEM has addressed Europeia, all the councillors of state have yet to do so, save Grand Admiral Bowzin's announcements about military operations. However, many respondents either do not see this as an issue or believe that the foreign executive has performed well enough to compensate for that, resulting in excellent overall statistics.

Nobody is giving any updates on anything, I don't know what is going on in the Council of State

Chief of State HEM Satisfaction

Like the branch of government he heads, HEM received no disapproving responses, although at 90.5 percent, his satisfaction rating tops the overall foreign executive's. This outstanding score reflects his experience serving the region in positions of leadership, and the generally smooth running of Council of State business this term. A recent relative inactivity on HEM's part was picked up on in the comments - regional and even NationStates-wide activity has been unusually low due to the festive season of late so a temporary absence from full activity is more than understandable. Evidently, many Europeians agree with such a viewpoint and harbour no or very few concerns about HEM's performance.

I feel like HEM hasn't been here that much. What is going on?

Admits he hasn't been as active as he could've been. We'll blame the holidays. It's hit everyone.

Vice Chief of State Pichtonia Satisfaction

In yet another instance of a department of the foreign executive garnering no explicit disapproval at all, Vice Chief of State Pichtonia has earned a remarkable 85.7 percent satisfaction rating for one of the less visible governmental positions in the roster. His presence or participation in all of the Councils of State, often supplying motivation, support, or general good cheer, on top of his material contributions, are certainly helpful towards building an enjoyable, engaging atmosphere that attracts people to take part. This may be difficult to see for those not involved, which might be the cause of some of the 14.3 percent of responses that were neutral.

I see him doing the FA stuff.

Hard to say?

Councillor of Foreign Affairs Pichtonia Satisfaction

Europeia's poll-takers think even more highly of Pichtonia as a councillor of foreign affairs than they do of him as a vice chief of state, granting him a superb 95.2 percent satisfaction rating. His and HEM's revamping of the council appears to have produced positive results, with a commenter feeding back with great satisfaction at Pichtonia's management of his staff. Again, respondents expressed no disapproval, and only one was neutral: the councillor's term so far can undoubtedly be said to have been a success.

Communication, excitement, and I feel a part of things. All I wanted.

Councillor of External Engagement Sopo Satisfaction

Sopo's satisfaction rating of 57.1 percent is not insignificantly lower than that of the foreign executive overall. His recent self-reported absence for real-life reasons may have affected many respondents' perception of his performance, unfortunately slowing progress in the council from its productive and positive-looking start to the term, when two NationStates Gameplay forum updates were written and posted, as well as plans for future work made. In fact, only 14.3 percent of respondents actually disapprove of Sopo's term so far, leaving a fair portion who are neutral. If Sopo is able to bring his activity levels back up and end the termtas strongly as he started it, he may be able to swing public views on his term.

Sopo seems to have pretty much disappeared, and this office is very confusing to me. Is anything getting done here?

Stuff happened at the beginning, petered out during the holidays.

I'm not sure if I see much of what Sopo does, as I think that is mostly related to the game-side forum, which makes it difficult to judge his performance.

Councillor of World Assembly Affairs Aexnidaral Satisfaction

Councillor of World Assembly Affairs and World Assembly Delegate Aexnidaral is yet another councillor who can enjoy having no negative responses whatsoever, giving him a total satisfaction rating of 85.7 percent. The council's consistent, uninterrupted output of information for voters on World Assembly votes probably provides the councillor with enough visibility to prove that his activity levels are where they should be and that he is keeping the council organised and on track. Aexnidaral has plenty of experience in this role and the numbers reflect his reliable performance this term so far.

Aex seems to be trying very hard in this role

Aex, despite the holidays, has kept on top of things!

Grand Admiral Bowzin Satisfaction

For his service as grand admiral this term, Bowzin has gathered a strong 76.2 percent satisfaction rating, with a 9.5 percent neutral response and 14.3 percent disapproving of his term. The Europeian Republican Navy (ERN) has participated in a number of successful operations under Bowzin, often working with allies to combine military power; missions have occurred with some regularity, surely a boost to Bowzin's ratings - although some believe that the ERN's activity could be pushed even higher, and that the grand admiral needs to do more to attract fresh blood to military gameplay and to increase his sailors' involvement in the ERN.

Seems like we aren't having as many missions as we used to, not sure why that is

A little quiet in the Navy. I appreciate us doing holds with allies, but we need new people and more engagement with just our sailors.

I think Bowzin is doing a good job but could do more to recruit people into the ERN.

Attorney General Prim Satisfaction

Boasting the best results of the poll, Prim has received a phenomenal 100 percent satisfaction rating for his work as attorney general. The Ministry of Justice has been producing regular and timely legislative assessments on passed Senate legislation, authored by a wider range of law clerks than had been the norm previously, continuing the work that Drecq started. It seems Europeians only have positive things to say about Prim, and his 47.6 percent strong approval rating is also very impressive, showing an excellent, thorough execution of his duties this term.

Prim's been great! :p

My rating is wholly undeserved. All I can say is that I’ll be doubling my effort to earn the confidence y’all have expressed in me.

Interesting ratings across the board.

I have to ask, what exactly *made* the Discord aspect of the festival so special? I'm not there - in fact I didn't know of its existence until a few days into the Yule Ball - but I can't imagine there's anything on the Discord server that can't be done on the forums except for rapid-fire EuroChat-esque chatter.

My rating is wholly undeserved. All I can say is that I’ll be doubling my effort to earn the confidence y’all have expressed in me.
I know I personally was giving everyone a break because the holidays took us all away. I felt the pull and I had barely anything going on.

I have to ask, what exactly *made* the Discord aspect of the festival so special? I'm not there - in fact I didn't know of its existence until a few days into the Yule Ball - but I can't imagine there's anything on the Discord server that can't be done on the forums except for rapid-fire EuroChat-esque chatter.
I think doing some of it on discord definitely did bring some benefits. However nice that would be, I don't think as many foreigners would be drawn to making the effort to join the forum compared to the relatively simple joining of a discord server. That meant higher participation in multiplayer games like skribbl.io and trivia, as well as just more interaction between Europeia and people from other regions. Of course, there's also the very valid point that that doesn't really attract so many people to our community by forcing them to join the forum, but I think it did bring more vitality to the event itself.

Interesting how people actually liked the shows, i thought they wouldnt do too well

A) Bots.
B) Zero barrier to entry (no account creation, no account verification)
C) Bots.
D) I wouldn't call it 'rapid-fire', it's more about 'synchronous'. With forums you have to keep coming back in the hope that someone responded. With Discord, you wait a few minutes... if they don't respond, they're not going to, you can move on with your life.
E) Bots.

To be as frank as possible, Discord is built for random bullshit, and forums are built for serious discussion. I would have long ago started lobbying for the Spam Zone on the forum to be closed down, except that on very rare occasions someone bridges the gap from spam to worthwhile endeavors.

Interesting how people actually liked the shows, i thought they wouldnt do too well
I've personally loved all the shows radio's put on so far! Actually I think if anything I'd like some more shows about controversial or important issues/debates happening in Europeia, but I understand the staffing problem is ... a problem. Also, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the fun/relaxed shows that have been made, they're great and I'm definitely not saying they should stop. Just a thought I had.

A) Bots.
C) Bots.
D) I wouldn't call it 'rapid-fire', it's more about 'synchronous'. With forums you have to keep coming back in the hope that someone responded. With Discord, you wait a few minutes... if they don't respond, they're not going to, you can move on with your life.
E) Bots.

To be as frank as possible, Discord is built for random bullshit, and forums are built for serious discussion. I would have long ago started lobbying for the Spam Zone on the forum to be closed down, except that on very rare occasions someone bridges the gap from spam to worthwhile endeavors.
Clarify: were there bots? :p

My biggest IC concern is that its frivolous to have a separate server entirely for a festival, when we should be doing our most to draw users to the forums (which could be done with some sort of dedicated channels or pings in our own server). It doesn't help that the server might not necessarily be saved, when it could have vital information for future culture planning (and if we verify someone then, they'll be verified already for future events).

My biggest OOC concern is that there's zero account verification or barrier to entry. That's just reckless, frankly.

A) Bots.
C) Bots.
E) Bots.

See, I strongly disagree with this. We've seen that keeping people on the forum with spam and idle chatter in The Republic Square is a gateway to folks being more active on the forum with other stuff. I know, historically, many members used to get involved in regions starting with spam areas because it's such a fun, zero effort way to start to integrate into the community. That's definitely how I got started in Empires of Earth, The Land of Kings and Emperors, and others.

Like HEM, I thank our citizens for their confidence, but will work on increasing my efforts, particularly in communication.

My biggest OOC concern is that there's zero account verification or barrier to entry. That's just reckless, frankly.

I don't recall exactly, but I think new members to the server were restrained to posting in the entry channel. Only with a masking (by moderators and admins, where I think the inclusion of moderators worked really well) could they then join the rest of the server.

There is a level of recklessness with the solution that we don't have in our main discord server, of course, but I don't know if there would have been many better solutions with the same practicality for our foreign guests.

Back