LIVE COVERAGE: Senate By-Election October 2019

LIVE COVERAGE: Senate By-Election October 2019
In rare live coverage, the EBC comes to you with the newest about the Senate by-election in October of 2019. Four candidates are asking Europeians for their vote as the region determines who will get to fill the Senate seat of Snowball. Already, 35 citizens have come out and voted: Three more than in the uncontested First Minister election, but also still eight less than in the last Senate election. And these eight could really matter: While Bowzin will likely not lose this round, voters could force a runoff. Lloenflys and Pichtonia will keep you up to date on latest developments.

Throughout the remaining 19 hours of election, we'll be bringing you the latest from the candidates, citizens, voters and more. Stay tuned!

As we await the inlux of - maybe - some reserve votes, we must also remind readers that Senate drama won't be done with this election. In fact, as we write this, one Senate bill is at the brink of defeat: The Senate Accountability Amendment intends to move the Chief of State election fourteen days after each General election. Already before the vote, Senate seemed to be very divided on the issue. Three of them are in favour of the bill and have already voted accordingly, three others do not want any change to the system and another two would have liked to see Chief of State elections before the General election. Unsurprisingly, Senators Astrellan, Calvin Coolidge and Lloenflys voted for the bill they favour. Drecq and JayDee voted against it. And if everyone who advocated another version of the bill (or no bill at all) had voted against, that would have been it right there.

But Senators Darcness and Rand abstained on the vote. Thus, it is now for Malashaan to decide whether this bill finds an early fate. If he votes against the bill before a new Senator is seated, the vote shall be closed and the bill will fail to have achieved a necessary majority. If he votes for or abstains, the vote shall be closed and the bill advances onto the desk of the First Minister. So has Malashaan not voted because he was simply too busy so far, or does he possibly not want to end the vote before the next elected Senator has a chance to chime in?

With 18 hours to go before the next Senator is decided, it's not unlikely we will hear from him.

Last edited:
After staying ahead of a runoff for several hours, Bowzin has now fallen to 50 %. To avoid a runoff, he will need 50 % + 1.

EBC Projection.png

Olde Delaware would - at the current time - head to a runoff with Bowzin. This Senate seat race has therefore taken on two dimension: Bowzin will likely try to win in a first round, whereas Olde Delaware, Cuddles and Isaris all fight for an entry into the runoff race.

Who do you think is most likely to win against Bowzin, @Lloenflys ?

Thank you, First Minister, for firing off your question. I've been wandering the streets of Arnhelm interviewing people for just this eventuality and have found that while OD is currently in the lead for the runoff, he may not be the strongest opponent against Bowzin. Apparently, OD's insistence on serving Scrapple and Root Beer every Wednesday in the cafes of Arnhelm (something that he required by fiat while he has emergency powers - since there is currently no charter for Arnhelm) has caused more than a few bouts of nausea ... and some solid opposition.

Meanwhile, vapers and ganja afficianados throughout the region are trying to band together to get votes for Izzy. To this point, their only problem has been having people trail off in pursuit of munchies. A recent innovation (emergency bags of Pringles carried by interns to the campaign) has paid off significantly, however, and Izzy forces are confident there are votes to come for them in the remaining hours.

In the meantime, cuddles is perhaps best positioned against Bowzin should he make it into the runoff. Bowzin has the "fresh face" edge against both Izzy and OD ... but cuddles can claim that mantle equally with Bowzin, and what we are hearing voters are particularly in love with the opportunity to pinch cuddles cheeks and pat hi on the head when they get the opportunity to meet him in person. How many voters can cuddles sacrifice his cheeks to in the name of votes in the remaining hours? Time will tell.

Glad to know I have that stoner voter bloc nailed down.

I just want to say that I'll do whatever my competition promises + what I have promised, except for the stuff you don't like.

I hadn't voted initially because I'm still undecided. Given how close it is, I'm currently inclined to wait for the new senator to be elected.

I hadn't voted initially because I'm still undecided. Given how close it is, I'm currently inclined to wait for the new senator to be elected.
or you could just no brainer and vote me. dont worry, no brainer is the lifestyle

BREAKING NEWS: Bowzin Falls Below Parity with Runoff for First Time Since the First Hour

As we head into the long overnight hours of the election, votes are few and far between, but each one has outsized effect with the margin between a runoff and an outright victory for Radio Minister Bowzin so narrow. For the first time since the first hour of the election, Bowzin has now fallen below 50% and is now running -1 to a Runoff. He needs a swing of two votes in order to push back above the threshold. Any vote for any of the other candidates would increase the margin.

Reached in a Scrapple shop in Arnhelm, Steward Olde Delaware said (we think - he was eating Scrapple so it was hard to tell for sure) "WE WILL FIGHT UPON THE BEACHES, WE WILL FIGHT WITH THE WHALES, WE WILL BATTLE WITH THE GRITTIES AND WE WILL TAKE DOWN SIDNEY CROSBY. VOTE OD!"

Bowzin seemed resigned to the possibility of a runoff, and was currently working with his campaign staff to construct OD Voodoo dolls that will be put into good effect tomorrow if the election results hold their current form.

As always, EBC News will be here to keep you in the loop throughout the evening and into tomorrow morning as we head through the home stretch of this all-important by-election.

... And the numbers continue to fall. Although Bozwin continues to command a sizeable lead, the other candidates have managed to further move him below the 50% + 1 threshold. Therefore, unless this trend reverses, it is likely Europeia will see a runoff for the Senate seat vacated by Snowball.

ebc2.png

We asked Bowzin, the lead candidate, how the election was going for him

tweet_bowzin_01.png

tweet_bowzin_02.png

These graphics are the kind of coverage every election deserves. Future writers take note!

Frankly I am disgusted that you are not following me. Regardless, this is an amazing thread, Pichto!

Back