January 2021 EBC Senate Poll Results

So Many Candidates, So Many Issues
Senate field hurtles towards the finish

Written by McEntire

On the eve of the Senate election, the EBC is bringing you poll results that show Europeians are largely happy with the current field of candidates, and want to see big changes in the next term. The poll was conducted from January 11 to January 13, and had 26 respondents. Take these results with a grain of salt, since the response rate was relatively low. We chose not to include a direct head-to-head Senate race question to preserve the suspense of the election tomorrow.

The Current Senate

1610646508313.png

Since the EBC's midterm polling, each individual Senator, and the Senate overall, has seen a decline in job satisfaction numbers. Some of those changes are negligible -- for instance, Speaker Lime saw a decline from 56 percent to 54 percent -- and the erosion of approval ratings does not seem to have hampered the re-election chances of those Senators who are running again. We will dig into those results below.

Overall Senate

1610647666560.png
Not very active, slow to discuss, slow to resolve issues, had a mess with the monkey/jaydee senate sub issue. JayDee was inactive, went on LOA without planning a sub, picked the first person in his LOA thread who asked to sub, then proceeded to bungle his own declared absence...

Should be a max number in the Senate.

One of the most inactive Senates we’ve ever had

The last senate has been on the slower end of things, but I'm not sure if that's necessarily their fault. The new senate looks like it has a lot of ideas, which is promising.
These results are underwhelming for the current Senate. While half of respondents are satisfied, none would describe themselves as "very satisfied." Multiple comments criticized the Senate as "slower" and "inactive." It's not a disastrous result for the current Senate, only 23 percent are unsatisfied with their work. But it is certainly not a resounding approval.

Speaker Lime
1610647951874.png
JayDee's LOA was poorly handled. The substitute issue should have been handled quickly by the Speaker, but instead it went to the court and ended up with the same resolution as the Speaker should have done. A senate sub and the senator themselves can't both hold the same seat and its privileges at the same time, shut that down quickly.

I think Lime was probably too busy IRL to handle both MinCult and Speaker, and it showed in the senate. It took a quite a bit (2-3 days), to move some things to vote, even when the debate had already died. I'm glad he recognized that and isn't taking a second term.

I am still not happy that the speaker took a ministerial job but am content with the job they've done
Speaker Lime has a slightly higher approval rating than the Senate overall, but also has a higher rate of unsatisfied respondents. It appears that the controversy over JayDee's Senate substitute may have impacted that approval rating. Lime has chosen not to run for re-election, so these numbers do not effect the current Senate election. The next Speaker may hope for higher than these tepid numbers.

Senator JayDee
1610648509833.png
JayDee always seems to create controversy no matter what he does.

LoA fiasco may have impacted this, but overall his entire term was just weird.

He seemed like a good candidate in the beginning, but seemed to fizzle out.

Incredibly disappointed, I feel as if JayDee has run his course with the Senate as every term seems to turn into a circus of bad decisions.

He vanished? He's not as active after his loa.
JayDee has the distinction of lowest Senate satisfaction rating in recent memory -- just less than 8 percent. His inactivity has impacted this approval rating, and over 2/3 of respondents describe themselves as unsatisfied or very unsatisfied with his time in office. Some commenters voiced their view that JayDee is a constant source of controversy, alternatively describing his terms as "weird" and "a circus of bad decisions." JayDee would likely not fare well in the current Senate election, and may have some image repair work to do if he wants to be in contention in the future.

Senator Lloenflys

1610648848807.png
probably one of the better Senators this term

Lloenflys was an active and experienced legislator.
Lloenflys must be happy with these numbers. Not a single respondent was unsatisfied with Lloenflys' job performance, which aligns with his reputation as a long-term master legislator. More respondents moved into the "neutral" category as compared to the midterm, but that may have been a product of a decline in the Senate's approval overall than anything that Lloenflys himself did in office.

Senator SkyGreen24

1610649101554.png
He had a good first term in the Senate.

SkyGreen has been a very good Senator, in my opinion. He's the reason I have faith that Cabinet members can hold Executive Office and a Senate seat going forward.
Senator SkyGreen registers the second-highest approval in their freshman term. Between the discussion of the current election and the comments in this poll, we see that there have been concerns about holding overlapping positions, but this strong numbers shows that voters largely approve of SkyGreen's ability to straddle a Ministry position and the Senate.

Senator Xecrio
1610649560726.png
Not very active, spent all their time on the portfolio declaration

He had a fine first term, I felt like he was still learning the ropes near the end of the term. Glad to see him run again.
Senator Xecrio sports higher than average approval ratings. Interestingly, Xecrio has the second-highest "very satisfied" number, which could indicate a strong base of support as he seeks a second term.

Senate Election

The Senate does have a higher approval than disapproval, though, and that's reflected in the strong numbers of individuals and re-elect numbers of the current Senators. 100 percent of respondents would vote to re-elect Senator Lloenflys. Nearly two-thirds would vote to re-elect Senators SkyGreen24 and Xecrio. One-third would re-elect Speaker Lime, and one respondent (representing 4 percent of our sample) would vote to re-elect JayDee. The Senators who are seeking re-election are in a strong position to be re-elected.

1610656441796.png
1610650221969.png

Overall, voters are satisfied with the current field of candidates, with a majority describing themselves as "very satisfied." This is a strong Senate field, if this poll is any indication. It's a little late for a last-minute Senate bid, the following candidates were mentioned as missing from the current field:

-Darkslayer (3)
-Josi (2)
-Lime
-Malashaan
-Vor
-GC
-Drecq
-Maowi
-No one, there's already too many
-People with sane ideas who understand Europeia (writer's note - good luck with that)

The Race for Speaker

The Speakership is not a popularly elected position, but the EBC wanted to know who the people favor for the position. There is a clear frontrunner, with half of respondents saying that they want Lloenflys to return to the Speakership. 6 respondents said that they want Calvin to be Speaker, and he has expressed interest in the position. 2 respondents want to see GraVandius elected to the top spot in the Senate. No other candidate got more than one vote.

Next Senate - Issues

1610651517404.png

Respondents were asked to choose the top three issues they wanted to see the next Senate consider. The only issue that was agreed to by a majority of respondents was Senate oversight of the Executive, with 58 percent citing it as a top issue. A near-majority want to see the Senate tackle advisory opinions and overlap between positions.

This Senate election, more than most in recent memory, has been focused on a wide set of issues. The Senate can only take up so much in a term, but the voters want to see major change. 46 percent say that the Senate should focus on large reforms, 23 percent said smaller changes, and 31 percent were unsure. That is a decent mandate for change, and the next Senate will have to choose its battles among the above issues in order to get a substantial number of things done. The choice of Speaker, and the Speaker's ability to keep things on track, will be crucial in what the Senate accomplishes.

Voters want to see bigger changes and a bigger Senate. 77 percent say that they want the Senate to be larger, versus 19 percent that want it to stay the same size. One respondent said that they wanted a smaller Senate, which is not legally possible. Finally, voters have no patience for jokes, with approximately two-thirds saying they would not consider voting for a "joke" platform.

The next Senate has a lot to live up to, and a large selection of issues to choose from. Only time will tell if it lives up to the hype.
There are so many ideas being thrown out there. I hope this next senate doesn't feel like they need to do things just to do things. Some of these ideas are clearly bad, some are pointless. Don't waste time trying to discuss every single idea, prioritize.

TENATE! TENATE! TENATE!

I was hoping this would be a good race for newcomers, but it doesn't seem to be shaping up that way.

It's exciting seeing so many people run - this is what Europeia is all about.

Lots of less than stellar platforms, unfortunately. I was excited for the large field but ultimately disappointed that the newer candidates don't have more to say.

Not very active, spent all their time on the portfolio declaration
Firstly, thank you, McEntire, for writing this up. This is very good and gives us a good overview of how the Senate has done this term.

Secondly, I would like to address the comment that someone left in regards to my performance as a Senator. I don't want to make assumptions, but I'm not entirely sure that the person who left this comment actually followed the work I did as a Senator. I was "active" so much as everyone else was active. I engaged in discussion and debate, I conducted oversight, more so than some other Senators this term. I wrote my own piece of legislation, which was subsequently passed in the Senate, and I was active in voicing my opinion in every matter we bought up. It is right to say that the Senate as a whole was not active, but individually, I believe I was active as anyone else. To say that I spent all my time on EA3 is false.

Thanks for this analysis!

Oooh I like the first graph - top notch analysis too, McEntire, it's been an interesting Senate term.

That big chunk of "unsure" about the current field feels about right

Well I can't read

JayDee's LOA was poorly handled. The substitute issue should have been handled quickly by the Speaker, but instead it went to the court and ended up with the same resolution as the Speaker should have done. A senate sub and the senator themselves can't both hold the same seat and its privileges at the same time, shut that down quickly.
So whoever wrote this clearly didn't look beyond my statement regarding it, and the Court's final opinion. This was the exact action that I took, while the AO was ongoing. I didn't think a Senator and a substitute could both hold the seat at the same time, and did not include Monkey's vote until JayDee later confirmed that he was still on a LoA, or took a second LoA depending on your interpretation of the law. I requested an AO to allow for clarity for any future occasion. The AO didn't prevent or slow Senate business down, or in fact do anything remotely harmful. Instead, it helped to clarify something, even if the Court's final decision was the same interpretation as many of us originally believed.

Back