Istillian - Europeian of the Year Nominee 2020

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Every year we gather around and discuss who among us is the Europeian most worthy of the title “Europeian of the Year”. Frankly, there is never a good answer because we have so many amazing citizens that put in the work, have great moments, and are due some serious recognition.

The name I am putting forward is someone who not only is all of those things I mentioned, but also a warm presence on discord and a strong leader, both in public and private. My nomination is Istillian.

In his roughly one year of activity in the region, which began in late 2019, Istillian was someone that we knew would be special after his quick nomination to Minister of Communications, and quick success in the role. Of course, this did not last as he had to step away from this role for real-life reasons, but he was able to return to the role at the start of 2020, and subsequently knocked it out of the park in both of his two terms at the helm. Is it any surprise the EBC won Best News Operation in Gameplay this year?

Istillian is someone who does not take on more than he can handle and never asks you to do something he wouldn’t do himself. This accountability to himself and others is part of what makes him an incredibly sympathetic and therefore effective leader. There are some leaders who lead by their ideas and motivate more from the top than the ground level. Istillian is always in the trenches alongside you, and his presence is felt and appreciated.

This led to him being appointed Second Minister by First Minister Dax, a role he fit into quite well, and led to his election as First Minister directly after. That term was one of great activity in many areas, and my time as a Minister in Istillian’s Cabinet only further impressed me as I saw his leadership up close and personal.

Really, I think a lot of people say that they are always available for a discussion, and open to criticism, but nobody has quite walked the walk when it comes to talking the talk as Istillian has, in my eyes. Although our time zones did not line up all that well, there were a few times that we were able to have some time set aside to discuss government affairs, and Istillian would allow the two of us to have these really wide-ranging discussions on the nature of his Cabinet, and what goals we have for the future. I hope he remembers these as fondly as I do, even though I have a suspicion they became more annoying as time went on!

Leaving that aside, however, Istillian continued to lead his Cabinet with great flair, and to this day remains the most popular leader from the Split Era, even including the multiple terms of First Minister and Chief of State Pichtonia! After a bit of a break, Istillian served his first term as Senator, where he was a thoughtful contributor to discussions.

Lastly, Istillian served in one of the most storied roles in Europeia when he ascended to Grand Admiral, a role he served as for two terms to great success, turning around a Ministry that had suffered from inactivity in the past into one of the absolute highlights of the executive, leading to holds being held, and so many operations, that led to a new generation of Naval leaders being trained, setting the Navy up for more long-term success on the back of Istillian’s example.

Whatever the next year brings for Istillian, I know that he will bring his typical brand of charm and leadership to any role he takes on, and I am excited for whatever he chooses to do. He really does represent the best that Europeia has to offer, and 2020 showed us just how wonderful he can truly be. In a year filled with countless examples of political success and impressive effort, Istillian shines bright as a beacon of the ideal Europeian. Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, hoping he gets to chat with Istillian soon!

Great article, Calvin! I would agree that one of the things that I admire most about Istillian is his ability to lead, but also to chip in and get things done right alongside assistant ministers. Istillian was the first minister when I rejoined, and I remember how social and welcoming he was on discord, even as a first minister! Istillian has served in all of his roles with energy and I am very excited to see what is next for our Australian friend!!

Mate, I'm absolutely honoured to have you write this nomination for me, and I can't describe how much my time being able to work so closely with you and have a lot of discussions together meant (they could never become annoying!) Thank you Calvin, I love being a part of Europeia, and being a part of all of your lives - seeing the creativity, innovation, and energy from people here motivates me to be better and do better, and of all years 2020 was definitely one we all needed that in.

Ist is such a pleasure to talk to! Unfortunately I wasn't really around for his FMship, then again, that's when I joined so Ist also gets credit for that! An extremely deserved nomination!

This is a wonderful nomination! Eurochat is at its best when you see "Istillian is typing..." and then he comes at you with his positivity and Aussie slang, and I'm very happy for him to receive this nomination. Having worked with him, I can more than attest to his hard work ethic. When he takes a job, you know he'll give it his all, and in all likelihood succeed.

I'm a bit late, but this was a fantastic read! I definitely have a deeper appreciation for what Ist brings to the table, and also he's only been here since late 2019??? It feels so much longer than that!

Back