Deputy Minister
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
Screenshot 2021-09-22 7.27.06 PM.png

ISSUE 3

Frontier/Stronghold Poll Results and Analysis

by Sincluda

Just recently, the Not-So-Daily Bugle conducted a poll on the upcoming Frontier/Stronghold update. It was open for a week and garnered 33 responses. So, it's time to learn what the public thinks what Europeia should do for this update!

The first question was simple - should Europeia become a Frontier or a Stronghold? In the last poll, there was overwhelming support for the Stronghold option (71%) as opposed to becoming a Frontier (25.8%). Since then, however, there was a strong rallying for becoming a Frontier, with the establishment of an organization to advocate for it, and the many senate candidates running under the belief that Frontier was the correct path. How does that reflect on poll results? Well...

Forms response chart. Question title: Should Europeia become a Frontier or Stronghold?. Number of responses: 33 responses.

There was a huge reckoning for the Frontier crowd, who pushed the Frontier/Stronghold debate to a near-even split. Evidently, this will be a big debate for the region, and with election campaigns already integrating it into the core of their platforms, entire races could be determined primarily by this factor.

But what about satellite regions? They've come up a lot in the Frontier/Stronghold debate, and how to manage them was a huge factor in the last presidential race. The last poll had pegged support for governed communities at 41.9%, funnel regions at 48.4%, and [unsure] and [Europeia shouldn't have satellite regions] each only garnering one pick. How has the debate changed? Let's see...

Forms response chart. Question title: What should Europeia's satellite regions be like?. Number of responses: 33 responses.

There was a huge shift! Support for funnels/sockpuppets dropped down to 12.1%, while the opinion that Europeia shouldn't have satellites shot up to 21.2%! There was still only one "unsure" response, and one respondent used the "Other" box to suggest a more imperialistic approach to the update, saying that, "The ERN should raid other frontiers rather than setting up our own." Most notable here is that the governed communities route reaches majority support at 60.6%. There is a slight split, however, on whether citizenship should be offered to residents in these regions, although most of those who want governed communities think that citizenship should be available.

The final two questions were about how the senate should be involved in Frontier/Stronghold decisions. Specifically, should region creation and the appointment of governors require senate approval? Also, should switching between Frontier and Stronghold require senate approval? Let's take a quick peek at what people say...

Forms response chart. Question title: Should the creation of satellite regions and appointment of governors require senate approval?. Number of responses: 33 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Should switching between Frontier and Stronghold require senate approval?. Number of responses: 33 responses.

Nothing too crazy here, with widespread support for the senate to need to approve these decisions decisions (87.9% on region creation, 90.9% on governors, and 90.9% on switching between Frontier and Stronghold). Notably, there were no "No" responses to switching between Frontier and Stronghold, and only one saying that switching between the two should be illegal.

These data points should be kept in mind when making the decisions on Frontier/Stronghold. Aspiring presidents and senators, take note.

xXx​

I’m a little more inclined to support the governed communities option after reading point 3 of this:
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=507257&p=39060159#p39060159
I mostly just think we should become a frontier, though.

I’m a little more inclined to support the governed communities option after reading point 3 of this:
Governed communities gets us more, and making it easier helps.

No it doesn’t - governed communities are an expensive use of resources and they’ll eventually become independent from Euro anyways.

No it doesn’t - governed communities are an expensive use of resources and they’ll eventually become independent from Euro anyways.
I mean that going that route is easier when decreasing the amount of resources necessary to do so (point 3 of Sedge’s post).

Back