Interviewing the Kraken

Interviewing the Kraken
The Tentacles Around Our Navy

Disclaimer: This interview was conducted before Kraken stood for the upcoming election. It is not an endorsement on the part of EBC.

Kraken has finally received a Triumph, a penultimate display of his dedication and service to Europia. In the spirit of that Triumph, we sat down with Kraken to discuss all things Kraken and the Europeian Republican Navy.

Kuramia: Can you tell us a bit about how you joined Europeia?

Kraken: I had played NS a little bit but got bored with it quite quickly. A while later I decided to try it out again and was impressed by the professionalism of Europeia's TG. I joined and was even more taken with the people, culture, and political atmosphere. I quickly became close with Anumia, and the seedlings for a political career were planted.

What made you stay?

All the wonderful people in the region. People I could have a mature conversation with, be silly with, and count on for genuine friendship. Those are all qualities hard to find both online and in real life, and I was glad to find a place where I could fit in and contribute.

So you became an active member pretty much right away and became a Minister very soon after joining. Tell us about that.

After two days of being in the region, Anumia approached me about becoming Minister of Communications. He was planning a Presidential run and desperately needed a nominee. When I took over the Ministry, it had fallen into disrepair. I established a small team of capable writers (Moronist Decisions and Toasty), and fairly quickly the Ministry was putting out reliable content. Repairing fallen institutions seems to have become a specialty of mine.

How did you get involved in the ERN?

From day one I applied to join the Navy with then Grand Admiral Anumia commenting on the novelty of a "kraken" in the Navy. Ironically enough, it was a few months before I was able to join, as nobody actually added me to the appropriate subforum :p Once I was in, I enjoyed naval life, although the slow crumbling of the ERN bothered me.

How did you feel when you were first approached to be Grand Admiral? What concerns did you have?

The Navy hit its lowest point during my Presidency, and that deeply bothered me as I had always considered the Navy a home. My biggest concern was technical know-how. When I was appointed Grand Admiral, I was only an Ensign and had only triggered once. Unfortunately, at the time, these modest credentials made me the most qualified active sailor we had. I didn't let my inexperience deter me though. I quickly learned how to trigger with efficiency and worked to rapidly build up a large ERN base. It turned out that people weren't bored of the Navy. They just needed active leadership to keep things going. Over time I worked to build up a culture of fun and professionalism within the ERN, and created a network of leaders who would be able to take over the Navy one day. My biggest fear has always been Naval stagnation upon my departure from being GA.

Is there anything you would change about your time as Grand Admiral?

Not really, GA is the one position I find hard to criticize myself about. Of course, I would have liked to be more active, have run larger ops, perhaps a giant hold or two, but I think overall my performance was solid.

How was it receiving a Triumph?

Wonderful! The highlight of my career in Europeia. The Triumph made me reflect back on my time here and just how wonderful it's been. One of my favourite parts of Europeia has always been the fun camaraderie of the ERN Skype chat. I was very grateful to the region, the President, the Minister of Culture, and everyone in the Navy who made this accomplishment possible.

What can you tell us about the future of the ERN?

The ERN has a bright future indeed. Its numbers of Active Duty and Volunteer Sailors are at all-time highs. Many of its members have received triggering and leadership training, and there is a general buzz of excitement and dedication among the majority of sailors.

Finally, what does the future hold in store for you?

Well, we shall see. As RL binds its tentacles around me, I don't plan to withdraw from Europeia any time soon. I may just have something big lined up for the near future....

And so ends Kraken's interview and his Triumph, but it will certainly not end his legacy. He has taken the ERN to a pinnacle and, with any amount of effort, it should stay there for some time.

If you wish to join the ERN and rise up the ranks learning how to utilize the Gameside side of Nation States, apply at the Office of Naval Recruitment. You don't have to even give all of your time if you're not capable of it. Volunteers are always sought after, and it will allow you to see a different side of Nation States and Europeia.

Calvin Coolidge said:
I may just have something big lined up for the near future....
Guys, I think he's pregnant.
Where do Krakens fall on the r/K selection spectrum? Is he going to be raising one or two to adulthood or will he have thousands of offspring and leave their success to chance?

Drecq said:
Calvin Coolidge said:
I may just have something big lined up for the near future....
Guys, I think he's pregnant.
Where do Krakens fall on the r/K selection spectrum? Is he going to be raising one or two to adulthood or will he have thousands of offspring and leave their success to chance?
Well, I'm an Anumia, so that one should be pretty obvious :p Although I don't seem to be very Anumian, given I've selectively raised four children.

Back