Interview with New Citizens' Assembly Chair Olde Delaware

A Look into the Start of Arnhelm

An Interview with Olde Delaware

Written by Dax

With the Citizens' Assembly (CA) election currently in progress, the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) reached out to Olde Delaware (OD) the now successful candidate for what is likely to be the final CA chair.

OD announced his candidacy for CA Chair on August 21in the standing thread shortly followed by his platform. OD decided that he would run for CA Chair because he believes he is active and personable. In addition, he has vast experience playing political simulators, something he can use to craft Arnhelm. How does he plan to get the City Council started on the right foot? “Well the first thing I intend to do is get my ‘Cabinet’ up and running” he says. “Id [sic] like to appoint a deputy and someone who can help with outreach.” As soon as he has his team together his first plan is to take on the charter which he is excited to oversee. OD also has some plans to honour the Assembly before the start of its successor. He plans to finish the tribute issue of the Mockingbird former Chair Cool Spring announced as well as hosting a mini festival in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture bringing as many former Chairs together and reliving the history of the Assembly.

An obvious issue leading to the end of the CA is the lack of activity. Of course the City Council (CC) is a solution, but when the “new” feeling of the Council wears off, to ensure it keeps its traction, OD plans to work with his community outreach director to bring in people interested in legislation from all over by advertising in a variety of places, such as foreign updates, gameside posts, RMB messages, and even on discord. He says that writing legislation is a skill many players have trouble learning, and therefore he believes the CC can act as a legislative training ground of sorts. “A political sim [simulation] inside of a political sim offers the chance for players to play in sort of a sandbox atmosphere. What they do in the City of Arnhelm won't affect the region, there's no real political hierarchy to contend with or policies to live or die on,” the chair states.

A recent debate within the Senate that had been stalling the bill was over how self sufficient Arnhelm should be. OD is in support of the City Council being as autonomous as is constitutional. “I think it should be like I said a sandbox. A place for those who are politically minded and the newbie at heart can be at ease. Where they can learn without the pressure of an election or stepping on toes,” he tells the EBC. He believes it can encourage people to learn or even get to know fellow Europeians.

First Minister Pichtonia commented on OD’s platform, speaking directly to the new chair: “You are an active and friendly player, but you can just as well be serious when needed.” OD agrees. “I think thats [sic] how we should all be, fun when we can and serious when we can.”

With Olde Delaware having been the one and only candidate in this election in addition to the support he’s seen, he easily found victory with 81.5 percent of the 27 voters supporting him. OD has since posted his opening speech. It is likely that the new chair will find further support as he begins the final term of the Citizens’ Assembly.

Lovely article ? and I can't wait for OD's term to get properly underway!

Happy to see an interview with the new Chair! Thanks, you two.

I think this will be a perfect role for Olde Delaware's personality and skills. I look forward to what he'll be able to accomplish!

Dax, wonderful job yet again! Crafting an enticing read from an interview can be hard (see: Siph and my attempt to do the Kura one on a schedule), but you seemed to pull it off just wonderfully. Great write-up, and thank you!

Reactions: Dax
Back