Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"Interview: ENN Sits Down With MiniComm Xecrio"
HEM
Managing Editor

HEM:
Hey Xecrio (AKA Nate), thanks for agreeing to this interview. Obviously you got a bit of name recognition from your last bid to be First Minister, but for folks who don't know you so well would you do a brief introduction?

Xecrio:
Gladly. My name is Xecrio also known as Nate, and I currently serve as Minister of Communications. I also participate in various councils and ministries.

HEM:
Tell us, how did you find Europeia? And what was your first impression?

Xecrio:
Believe it or not, the stint I have in Europeia now is not my first one. When I founded my nation I joined Europeia. I only stayed for a week though. When my former region collapsed I came back here since I knew the place. My first impression has to have been "wow." Europeia has so much to offer and with the diverse range of citizens we have here, there's never a dull moment.

I should also point out that this was the first time I'd seen a region actively use forums. It was interesting to note how Europeia is an off-site region.

HEM:
Was that something appealing to you? I think a lot of regions either just use Discord or nothing at all -- how does Europeia's off-site system compare to that?

Xecrio:
It offers a new way to communicate. Not everyone has access to discord, and some people don't like using it. Having forums where you can ask questions, play games, and debate it a great way of including everyone. It definitely was appealing to me. There's only so much fun to be had on an RMB and having been confined to just that, it felt good to see an alternative.

HEM:
Could you share a little bit about how you ended up getting involved -- what were some first steps you took to break the ice and start assimilating into Europeia politics and social life?

Xecrio:
Of course. I knew there was much to be done here, but for the first few months I remained silent. I eventually decided to introduce myself om discord, and I was appreciative of the reception I received. I remember asking what there was to do, and I was given a link to the employment centre. I got involved with Communications straight away. This is something I have had experience with in the past both in real life and NS. Maowi, who was Mincomm at the time put me to the task of writing the weekly update, which I have done ever since. As time went on, I got involved in more ministries. I wrote some roleplay for culture, and got involved in radio broadcast. O was reluctant to get involved in the Council at first, but eventually joined Foreign Affairs, where I'm now an ambassador to Balder, World Assembly Affairs, where I was recently appointed as Deputy World Assembly Delegate, and more recently the EECT. I didn't find it that hard to break the ice. I just sort of introduced myself and I was welcomed in. I didn't start debating until much later although I kept a close eye on the forums to see what people were saying about various topics.

HEM:
Yeah, I remember first noticing your work with the weekly update! How far you've come, now Minister of Communications! How have you enjoyed your work as Minister - any challenges?

Xecrio:
I've absolutely loved it. There have been challenges though definitely. My mid-term ratings suffered from the lack of dispatch squad activity. I did well, I think to rectify that issue, though that is now no longer my concern. I've also had times when people have been reluctant to write articles, so either I'd write them or I'd ask people in private if they would like to do it. Usually, though it's smooth sailing. Kuramia gave me a spreadsheet that she used during her time as Minister of Communications. Now I have everything in one place so I know exactly which articles are coming up next and who's doing what.

HEM:
That's awesome! My next question is actually about your work specifically as Minister of Communications. As you know, ENN as a private media outlet recently published an article about the whole affair around your stance on the EO Referendum. While I don't want to specifically revisit that, during the discussion you did make a comment that suggested you might cancel an otherwise newsworthy article in the EBC if the subject of the article wanted it canceled. I wanted to give you an opportunity to explain in more detail in how you might determine to cancel an article at someone's request, and whether the EBC has a specific policy there.

Xecrio:
In any case where I have to cancel an article or anything similar, my first point of action is to contact my deputy. I wouldn't want to necessarily cancel it, and I'd talk with the recipient of the article to see what concerns they have and if any changes can be made. Ideally, the point of action would be to go ahead with the article. If the article is, however, written poorly, or where the subject reveals too much information, then I would have to cancel it or at best revisit it from a different angle.

HEM:
Can you envision a situation where the subject really, really wanted an article canceled, but you felt you had to proceed anyways because the material was too important to not be made public?

Xecrio:
You have to remember that the ministry is not run by myself alone. If it is in the interest of the citizenry or the Ministry to publish then that article shall go ahead. If of course, the subject wanted it canceled because the article revealed too much information, then I'd review the article to see if I could get anything edited.

HEM:
Great, thank you! Moving on to a different topic, you recently ran for First Minister as a relatively new member. Could you share a little bit about that experience?

Xecrio:
I can indeed. I wasn't going to run unless Calvin ran and when he announced he wasn't running, I saw that as my window. Calvin sort of acted as my campaign manager during the election. It took time to get a second minister candidate. I asked Pichto, Sopo, Prim, and eventually GraVandius. I was glad he accepted since he had experience in the role before. I knew I was up against tough opposition, but I wouldn't have run if I didn't think I could do the job. I had an idea of what my platform would look like, long before I released it. I focused on gameside development and improvement in every department. I'll admit that I was confident, even when polls put me in last place. That confidence shattered when it came to the FM debate. I performed poorly in that and it cost me. Maowi dominated the election, but I was very glad to see her win. All in all, it was a great experience I learnt more about campaigning and how I can improve in the future.

HEM:
Why do you think the debate was a tough format for you?

Xecrio:
It wasn't a tough format. I didn't prepare at all. I hadn't pre-planned any answers or any questions. The other candidates obviously had and that showed against my performance.

HEM:
Should we expect Xecrio running for a higher office again anytime soon?

Xecrio:
In the next election? No. I have exams in May/ June, and since the next election covers that period of time, it would not be wise to exert my time as FM while I have college work to do. The election after that? Yes, definitely.

HEM:
Awesome! One final question: Do you have any advice you would give to new members to the region?

Xecrio:
I think the best advice I can give is to get involved. There's so much to do and you shouldn't be afraid to get stuck in. Try something new and if you need help, there's people on hand to help you out.

HEM:
Great thank you for your time!

Xecrio:
It's been a pleasure, thank you.

-30-​

Wonderful interview! It's great to get clarification (publishing controversial articles has been a point of contention before, believe me), and it's also great to see the promised exchange of interviews from the Pichtonia interview!

Xecrio is a wonderful citizen and I thank you for taking the initiative of interviewing him.

Some nice insights here!

Great interview!

Good stuff!

As first minister, I would say that it is always our duty to publish the truth, even when that truth may be uncomfortable for parties involved. Take the Punchwood article from last year as an example. If Punchwood had asked for that not to be published, would we have changed it or cancelled it? No.

But we don't want to violate people's privacy or make anyone uncomfortable--I think that's pretty distinct, though, from deciding not to publish something for political reasons.

Back