Associate Justice
Senator
Cabinet
Deputy Minister
Citizen
Interior: Does Failure Lie Ahead?
Editorial
By Lime

Interior has rightly been receiving a great deal of attention recently and has been the subject of many articles or radio shows. Due to the intense efforts of the Ministry during the “Drewpocalypse” Europeia now has its highest nation population in our history, our WA Delegate now has the most endorsements in its history and we have the most citizens in our history. In just under four weeks, Interior has become a record-breaking and history-making machine, however, like all good things this will not last forever. The real test for Interior will come on Wednesday when many of the nations founded on the first day of the Drewpocalypse will cease to exist (CTE). Our nation population will fall, our WA endorsements will fall and eventually, our citizenship numbers will also fall. The question is, how great a fall will we see in each of these three areas, and will Interior continue its strong performance, or will it too see a decline?

It wasn’t too long ago that Interior, and the region at large, was facing a crisis because of the lack of recruitment. Beginning in the Summer of 2018 our population fell below 1,000 nations for the first time in years, and for the rest of the year and the first half of 2019, it remained at around the 900 – 1,000 nation mark, briefly returning to above 1,000 for two weeks in April 2019. Then beginning in the Summer of 2019, our population fell again with the average population around the 800 – 900 nation mark, even dipping briefly into the 700-nation mark. This low population level has continued right up until the recent explosion in population. A low population and low recruitment levels are bad for any region. With a low population, we will likely have fewer WA nations which means our WA Delegate will have fewer endorsements. With fewer endorsements, the WA Delegate has less of an influence in the WA, which means Europeia’s power and influence on the world stage is diminished. Poor recruitment levels will further perpetuate the issues associated with a low population count and create further problems. If we are not attracting new nations to our region, it also means we are not attracting new citizens. With fewer citizens actively engaging in our region, the stench of decay will begin to take hold and will grow stronger and stronger. New nations and new citizens are the lifeblood of any region, and unlike the feeder regions, we do not receive a constant supply of new nations and new citizens. Recruitment is the only way for our population to grow and to prevent decay from taking hold.

Right now, the crisis of a lack of recruitment seems long ago and of little concern to us. We are effectively the 2nd largest User Created Region, our nation population has never been higher, our WA Delegate has never been more influential, and we have new citizens joining us, many of whom have bright futures ahead of them. While everything is rosy right now, we must remember this is not normal. The Drewpocalypse caused a boom in our population, but with every boom comes a bust, and the first bust will come on Wednesday. I see two potential scenarios that could happen on Wednesday and how their outcomes may affect our future recruitment efforts. In the first scenario, we will see a large bust on Wednesday and our recruiters will become disheartened and demotivated when our population takes a steep fall. After all their time and effort helping the population increase, to see it all be effectively for nothing would be demoralising for anyone, and I worry that our recruiters may simply give up after the first bust. The second scenario has a positive short term story but raises concerns about the future of recruitment. In the second scenario we will see a bust on Wednesday, but not a large one.

Our population will fall, but not by a great deal, and our population will still have seen a large net-increase in our population level. While this would be a positive outcome, it could still raise some concerns. The biggest concern is that the region becomes complacent. When we see our population levels remain broadly stable and when we believe we’re on the up again, there can be a tendency for our region to become complacent. Recruiters don’t recruit as often as they used to, some completely stop, believing other recruiters will fill the gap, and the region doesn’t value the work of our recruiters as much as we did before. Ultimately it was complacency that caused the recruitment crisis and led to our population decline. We can’t, after all, our efforts, allow complacency to take hold of us once again.

There is evidence to suggest we are heading towards the second scenario, but also evidence to suggest we are heading in a more positive direction. Firstly, many of our new nations are active. The RMB is constantly busy with conversations, roleplays and discussions that the region simply isn’t used to. It suggests that many of our new recruits are active nations and they aren’t going to CTE on Wednesday. Some nations naturally will CTE, but we may not see as big a bust as we might expect on Wednesday. Secondly, we have the largest number of active recruiters we’ve had in months, even years. In the last three Interior updates, there have been anywhere between 13 to 20 individuals recruiting for the region, many of whom have been recruiting multiple times a week, some daily. This is a good sign. Europeia is recognising once again the importance of recruitment and how strong recruitment levels are vital for our region to survive and thrive. Provided that we do not fall into complacency and continue to place great value in our recruiters, we can ensure that the region leaves the “Drewpocalypse” stronger than when it entered it.

This is a well-articulated and -reasoned write-up, thanks Lime! I think what's been pretty remarkable about this boom, which you mention, is the explosion on the RMB of RP stuff that has not seemed to slow down and has engaged a whole new community of residents. Although (most of) these people don't come to the forums and become involved there, they're still in the region endorsing our delegate and keeping our RMB thriving, which makes us look more appealing gameside to potential recruits. That's what's encouraging today.

I think interior has always suffered some backlash. Compared to other ministries, historically, interior has been out performed.

The Drewpocalypse certainly reignited that spark in interior. Like you mentioned, people are starting to realise the importance of recruitment that that is essential in maintaining the growth of the nation. It'll be interesting to see how interior copes come the inevitable CTEs.

Interior perhaps is "doomed to fail", but I think in recent times we have been able to curb that expectation. This is a brilliant article and one that I think we needed. Well done Lime!

I believe that the date of doom is may 18th as unless I’m totally off base it’s 28 days to CTE and the boom started on April 20th.

Additionally our nation count is doomed to take a massive hit once that date arrives. Day one of the Imgur bust we lost about half the nations we gained 28 days prior. In this situation I think it might be more like 1/3rd or 1/4th, which would mean our nation count would drop by about ~65 nations day one. The imgur boom was a really steep up and down but if I had to guess overall this will be a much longer slow decline until we even out at bringing in enough new nations to reach equilibrium with the daily losses.

I believe that the date of doom is may 18th as unless I’m totally off base it’s 28 days to CTE and the boom started on April 20th.

Additionally our nation count is doomed to take a massive hit once that date arrives. Day one of the Imgur bust we lost about half the nations we gained 28 days prior. In this situation I think it might be more like 1/3rd or 1/4th, which would mean our nation count would drop by about ~65 nations day one. The imgur boom was a really steep up and down but if I had to guess overall this will be a much longer slow decline until we even out at bringing in enough new nations to reach equilibrium with the daily losses.
Agreed. I think if we can could out of this with ~1,250 nations that'd be a pretty big win. I'd be interested to see how our decline compares to other major regions -- might be worth grabbing the numbers on May 17th and doing a comparison. I might do this, but there's plenty of folks who do better interior research than me.

I'd be interested to see how our decline compares to other major regions -- might be worth grabbing the numbers on May 17th and doing a comparison.
That's what I've been saying :p. If relatively we experience a pretty big loss than at least it means our recruiters were effective at getting out there and recruiting new nations, even if the retention rate might have been low.

I honestly was curious about the lack of enforcement of RMB rules in regards to role-playing and feel that merits conversation. Not that I'm against role-playing (I've actually argued in favor of it in the past), but the fact that our RMB rules explicitly prohibit it is contradictory at the least. We should either change it or enforce it (I prefer the former).

I agree, we should remove the no-RP rule in the RMB. It has rarely been enforced and probably does more to drive some people away than it does to help bring them to the forum. I can't remember the last time any RP was brought to the forum from the RMB.

I agree, we should remove the no-RP rule in the RMB. It has rarely been enforced and probably does more to drive some people away than it does to help bring them to the forum. I can't remember the last time any RP was brought to the forum from the RMB.
So this is something I've been focusing on at the moment to be honest, and, after having a short conversation with Xecrio about an idea he had in my platform thread, and to be perfectly transparent, I've actually already put in a request with our admin team for a nation RP sub-channel on Discord. I'm all for removing this rule on the RMB, but wanted to provide an alternative option to hopefully engage people enough to move over to the forums and/or Discord before moving further with the rule change. I know there's been some interest for it internally, so to promote RP externally (through the RMB) has definitely been on my mind for not just the sake of Interior, but to ensure this isn't something we're removing with no other plan.

I hope this clears anything up for potential questions, but given the discussion for removing it I may put in the request for just the removal of this rule and then later on, if the sub-channel is approved, proceed to add that in.

And yet, RP is how we ended up with the Pope Election fiasco.

RP is fine as a side activity, but people need to realize that's its not what we do here. The more we normalize it, the more confusing it becomes for too many people.

I'd rather people that want a full RP region find said region and not waste our or their own time.

RP is fine as a side activity, but people need to realize that's its not what we do here. The more we normalize it, the more confusing it becomes for too many people.

I'd rather people that want a full RP region find said region and not waste our or their own time.
The Pope Election was going fine until an admin decided to muck about with the election. Maybe we should be criticizing the admin team for that situation, and not the Pope RP as a whole, or RP in general....

The Pope Election was going fine until an admin decided to muck about with the election. Maybe we should be criticizing the admin team for that situation, and not the Pope RP as a whole, or RP in general....
Also the Pope Election is barely an RP thing it’s pretty much in line with the elections for Village Idiot which are more just running jokes than any kind of actual RP.

Meh, religions have some internal consistency and stories that would classify them as RP to me. Very light RP, but definitely more than Village Idiot, which is just a glorified spam game.

You think the (relatively large) overreaction was warranted or would be seen in our community before an influx of newcomers that like to RP?

TBH I don't think there's much equivalence between the Pope Election and RMB RP. The RMB was pretty dead before, honestly, and the community that does RP there now is almost entirely unique of the forum/discord community. They're not disrupting anything and they're not using up space we'd otherwise use fruitfully so I'm personally okay with them staying there. In fact, I'm glad they're keeping it alive and making us seem more active and enticing, externally.

You think the (relatively large) overreaction was warranted or would be seen in our community before an influx of newcomers that like to RP?
I think some of the reaction (especially against OD) was unwarranted. But an admin did alter an election poll, I think the reaction against that was needed.

I think some of the reaction (especially against OD) was unwarranted. But an admin did alter an election poll, I think the reaction against that was needed.
From what I understood reading through those logs in EuroChat and on the forums, most of the overreacting was directed at OD. For a poll about a fictional position being chosen from people representing fake and ridiculous religions.

Yeah, I think the reaction against OD was definitely unwarranted. There were no indications that OD had any involvement with that. People simply assumed it was him because they didn't realize that admins could also alter poll options. I agree that the reaction against OD was absurd.

But let's not lose sight of the issue here --

There would have been zero issues with the Pope Election RP if an admin had not changed the poll options. The reaction that that sparked, either rightly against admins or wrongly against OD, lies squarely on the shoulders of the admin who altered the poll. Criticizing RP as a whole (which was what Darcness was doing) for the situation that was sparked by an unprofessional admin action is obfuscating the issue. It wasn't RP that led to the problem, it was unprofessional admin actions.

I am beyond tired of hearing about the pope election. Yes, it was blown out of proportion. Yes, an admin went too far with a joke. Can we PLEASE stop dredging it up?

But I agree that it should not be held up as an example of RP as big evil.

Yeah, I think the reaction against OD was definitely unwarranted. There were no indications that OD had any involvement with that. People simply assumed it was him because they didn't realize that admins could also alter poll options. I agree that the reaction against OD was absurd.

But let's not lose sight of the issue here --

There would have been zero issues with the Pope Election RP if an admin had not changed the poll options. The reaction that that sparked, either rightly against admins or wrongly against OD, lies squarely on the shoulders of the admin who altered the poll. Criticizing RP as a whole (which was what Darcness was doing) for the situation that was sparked by an unprofessional admin action is obfuscating the issue. It wasn't RP that led to the problem, it was unprofessional admin actions.

I just want to say that for the record, there was an issue with the poll prior to it being edited. A candidate's name had been spelled wrong, so the vote had been voided and was going to be redone. Now, I'm not saying everything that happened next was reasonable (I agree it was wayyy over the top, as this whole pope election snafu has been), but if someone did a quick read of the thread where Olde Delaware voided the poll due to a misspelling there is a coherent explanation as to why they thought he was responsible for the greater edit.

Back