[Inside Government] [Opinion] Are Europeians Ghosting the EBC?

Are Europeians Ghosting the EBC?
Opinion

Written by Maowi

The views of the author do not necessarily reflect those of the EBC as a whole. These statistics were correct at the time of writing.

Last Tuesday, former President Ervald asked in a Grand Hall thread whether overuse of the “like” button is leading to reduced engagement with speeches and articles. His question struck a chord with me. As a Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) staff member throughout pretty much my entire time in the region, I’ve been noticing a downturn in response numbers to EBC articles, and in an effort to confirm or refute this, I’ve analysed activity in EBC articles published within the last twelve months.

Mean EBC Article Responses
Total6.6
April/May 20197.3
June/July 201911.5
Aug/Sep 20197.3
Oct/Nov 20197.9
Dec 2019/Jan 20204.4
March/April 20204.4

(I should note that although I’ve labelled the last category March/April 2020, it does go back into February so that it’s a full two-month period.)

The data shows a fairly marked decrease in responses to articles towards the end of last year - to be expected as the holiday season hit us hard after an unusually active summer - but further into 2020 the numbers fail to pick up, with an identical mean score to the December 2019 to January 2020 period. Although some articles receive comments from a wide range of readers, many for some reason just don’t seem to attract attention, with the only people to leave a compliment or further thought being those involved in the drafting and editing of the piece. For comparison: Astrellan’s June 2019 article, Internal Affairs Satisfaction Poll Results and Analyses, received 11 responses from nine unique readers, while Istillian and Nate’s End of Term Executive Satisfaction Poll article from April 9 2020 had only two responses: one from Hezekon, who was at the time deputy minister of communications, and one from me, after I had helped out with the editing of the article. Something like this can be extremely dispiriting for a writer; a lot of consideration and effort goes into articles, and the entire purpose of writing, whether it’s to report an event, share some data, or provide a vision for the future of the region, hinges on reaching an audience.

So why the seemingly sudden decrease? Is it to do with region-wide activity, or the types of articles the EBC is producing? Well, in the September 2019 first minister election, 84 Europeians held citizenship, of which 32 turned out to vote; for the first minister election this April, we had even better numbers - 104 citizens and 43 voters. That week in April saw 122 average daily posts with 62 average daily users active, more than any other week in 2020 so far. The picture this paints is not one of a floundering region struggling to maintain decent levels of activity, and I don’t think it feels that way either - activity in Europeia as a whole can, I think, be discounted as a factor in this. So I tried sorting articles into various categories and comparing how the EBC’s output was split up in two different time ranges (interestingly, the total number of articles published across each two-month period was the same - 28).

EBC Article Type Percentages
TypeOct/Nov 2019March/April 2020
Informational17.928.6
Report14.310.7
Poll results10.714.3
Interview14.33.6
Entertainment3.67.1
Opinion7.110.7
Weekly Update32.125.0

Under “informational,” I included anything which gave an explanation of a general concept or idea without quite being an opinion piece (example: ”Finding Foreign Affairs” by Istillian). A “report” provides the facts of any recent event, whether within Europeia or outside. “Entertainment” includes any of the more light-hearted pieces, such as Lloenflys’ “Modest Ornithological Proposal” series.

The categories with marked differences between the time periods were the informational articles, which the EBC apparently used to do significantly less, and interviews, which happened far more in October and November 2019 than they do now. However, going through the EBC sub-forum manually and comparing response numbers for each category, both of these groups gather more or less the average number of responses overall; the article types that really stand out in terms of public engagement are the opinion pieces and the entertainment pieces, both of which we did more of in the last two months than we did in autumn 2019. There doesn’t seem to be a direct correlation between where the EBC’s content focus is and how Europeians respond to it either.

By process of elimination, this all points to the last reasonable explanation I for one can manage to think of, which is simply an increase in public apathy towards the EBC. However, that seems a bizarre phenomenon to me, particularly when comparing this decline with corresponding numbers for private media. These are the mean numbers of responses to NationStates-related private media articles over the past year (only currently unarchived outlets are included):

Mean Private Media Article Responses
Total12.8
April/May 20199.6
June/July 20195.0
Aug/Sep 201911.8
Oct/Nov 201916.4
Dec 2019/Jan 20208.0
March/April 202011.5

Although there is a lot of fluctuation in this data, with private media doing a lot better than the EBC overall but dipping beneath them at specific times, we can see fairly high levels of engagement with private media these last two months that don’t seem to point to any broader reason why the EBC should be failing to attract the same depth of interaction. Perhaps the less codified approach to writing in private media means that readers find it easier to leave a comment on an article. In any case, while candidates in our latest first minister election were asked what the Ministry of Communications could do to promote private media, perhaps the question would have been better the other way around. The whole point of producing content is to inform our readers - our politicians, our legislators, our ministry workers - to keep them up to date and allow them to constructively assess the state of the region; to contribute to region-wide debate (or start a discussion) by evaluating our progress so far and stimulating further discussion; and to entertain and engage both citizens and non-citizens so that they want to get involved. If we’re struggling to attract and involve readers, we’re struggling to function.

To be completely honest, I’m not quite sure what the takeaway is here for the EBC; I hope these statistics are useful in some way. But whether or not we’re the cause of the problem, I think we as citizens need to make more of an active effort to respond to articles and feed the discussion. And even if it’s difficult to think of something substantive to add, an encouraging comment is always helpful; as Europeian Research Institute writer GraVandius said in Ervald’s Grand Hall thread, “a comment does warm the heart a little more” than a like.

So, I don't mean this to be a criticism of any individual, FM, or cabinet -- but I personally prefer unique content: opinion pieces, original data analysis, polling, Euro history, foreign affairs reports, an analysis of a legal question -- things like that.

I personally do not prefer interviews with Europeians, weekly updates, or an article rehashing some event that just took place (unless it's a court case, those can be huge and unwieldy for the average player). I know some people may like those or get some use out of those, but I just feel like the events that I witnessed first-hand are being repackaged as content and it feels a little shallow or artificial to me.

Because of that, I can't recall the last time I commented on a weekly update or an interview.

I am glad to see someone write an article about this, as it's something I have been wondering about for the last couple months myself. Good job, Maowi.

So, I don't mean this to be a criticism of any individual, FM, or cabinet -- but I personally prefer unique content: opinion pieces, original data analysis, polling, Euro history, foreign affairs reports, an analysis of a legal question -- things like that.

I personally do not prefer interviews with Europeians, weekly updates, or an article rehashing some event that just took place (unless it's a court case, those can be huge and unwieldy for the average player). I know some people may like those or get some use out of those, but I just feel like the events that I witnessed first-hand are being repackaged as content and it feels a little shallow or artificial to me.

Because of that, I can't recall the last time I commented on a weekly update or an interview.
This, essentially. I read and comment on interesting content... the problem with weekly updates or event recaps is that I've lived what they're covering, so I don't feel the need to read them. If the weekly updates went away, I wouldn't miss them. That type of content is better for dispatches, as the gameside audience isn't on the forum experiencing these events. Private media tends to be more salacious, which brings in more views and comments. I don't think that's right for the EBC, but there's definitely room for more Op-Eds or niche pieces like Lloen's birb articles that get good interaction.

Perhaps we've failed by setting the EBC's goals in terms of just articles produced rather than engagement.

There's something to be said about the fact that the EBC plays it safe a lot. It often underutilizes the power it has as the preeminent media of our region. When it comes out of its shell and takes a stand or releases something original, we're all better for it, and I think this data shows that. Great article, Maowi.

That type of content is better for dispatches, as the gameside audience isn't on the forum experiencing these events
I'm one of our more ubiquitous readers, and so I find myself often in the same boat as Sopo. I caution us about this broad generalization, however. For quite some time, we've heard feedback that many readers will only use the 'Newest Posts' screen, or will stick to one/two parts of the forum. It's often easy to be someone who is a 'forum user' that doesn't realize all of these things are happening, and these news articles are valuable to those people. I think it would be nice to include links to some of these things in the news (which does happen from time to time) so that people who are hearing about these events for the first time can then investigate (and engage!) on their own, but I think we lose something by doing away with articles of this nature entirely.

Yeah, I agree with Darc. While Weekly Updates could definitely have lots of value released as dispatches, as Sopo suggested, there are probably plenty of people who read them and other "breaking news" articles and find them genuinely useful and informative. I'd guess those people also tend to be the ones who aren't so regularly and prominently active, or focus their activity on one of our communication platforms only, and so are less likely to leave a comment, which is why we see less engagement on the purely informative articles.

Prim summed up my thoughts for me! Even if I read the weekly recaps or interviews, I often don't comment on them unless something interesting jumps out to me

Last edited:
There haven’t been many compelling pieces.

Publish compelling content, and you’ll generate engagements. Publish bland content, and you won’t.

Sopo, I’ve always considered engagement as a key metric and tracked it when I was a minister.

I think some of the other comments pointing at weekly updates for the lower averages are probably correct. It would largely explain why private media at-least is doing better than the EBC as for the most part there are never any "weekly wrap up" type articles from lethomonarchy.

This is an elite article though Maowi, great work!

Do you have the comment averages based on type of article, Maowi? If you don't that's cool, I don't want to ask you to do more work just for a curiosity.

But yeah, GraV's comment made me curious about the level of engagement based on type of article.

Private media seems to be almost solely unique content -- Op-Eds, Data, Polling, and things like that.

Yeah, I did collect those stats - Weekly Updates definitely brought the average responses down, but I also noticed a decrease in the number of responses to them over time. Around a year ago, we'd be getting four or five comments on them regularly, and even sometimes going up to eight or ten, but more recently they've mostly been zero/one/two. I remember my first article for the EBC was a Weekly Update and I got something like seven or eight comments, and although they didn't consist of much substantive discussion I remember feeling really encouraged by that. I'm not really sure what the reason for that decrease is, to be honest. I was going to suggest that for some reason we're not doing as well as we used to in terms of promoting Weekly Updates to the target audience, i.e. people who don't necessarily follow everything that's going on, but looking back the people responding to Weekly Updates were the same people taking part in other EBC discussions and being very active in the region as a whole, so that can't be it.

Mean Responses by Category
TypeEBCPrivate Media
Informational4.224.5
Report7.711.6
Data analysis13.012.4
Interview5.64.6
Entertainment14.816.2
Opinion9.018.2
Weekly Update2.7N/A

The reason the number is so high for informational private media articles is that there were very few articles that fell in that category, so there was nothing to drag down the average; interestingly, most private media articles seem to put a personal spin on things to make it an op-ed, or investigate things with data to turn it into data analysis, or interview someone, so that very few are just purely informational.

I think it's quite interesting also that people seem to respond a lot more to private media op-eds than to EBC ones. Maybe that extra layer of bureaucracy and having to pass things by people that we have to have in the EBC means we can't publish articles on hot topics that quickly, so private media opinion pieces tend to attract conversation on the more controversial topics.

This data paints a very interesting picture. I'd be curious to see what articles fit into what those sections, as well, to see the number of articles in each category, and see how vast the difference between private and public media focus is.

I can give you the number of articles of each category over the past year in the EBC and in private media:

Article Numbers by Category
TypeEBCPrivate Media
Informational192
Report2621
Data analysis1633
Interview87
Entertainment85
Opinion2712
Weekly Update500
Total15480

By percentage:

Article Numbers by Category
TypeEBCPrivate Media
Informational12.32.5
Report16.926.3
Data analysis10.441.3
Interview5.28.8
Entertainment5.26.3
Opinion17.515.0
Weekly Update32.50.0
Total100100

Just to reiterate - this includes articles published within the past year, and private media articles about RL stuff or non-NS stuff are not included.

I don't think it's surprising at all to see data analysis dominating the private media output like that, and those we can see from the data in my response to Prim boost discussion quite a lot. Although it might be surprising at first glance that the EBC has a higher percentage of op-eds than private media, I think most if not all of those private media op-eds are based on breaking news or big debates that are happening in the region at that time, whereas the EBC isn't used so much as an outlet for controversial opinions (a recent exception would be Calvin's article "Imagining Europeia with Elected Ministers").

This is a very interesting article and very well written.

I agree with the point made about weekly updates, I think they are great for gameside dispatches and on the forums they are a bit meaningless. However I think articles on news events can be useful if they are written correctly. Not everyone checks every thread, I for example don't read every Senate discussion, so news articles can help keep parts of the population informed. I can't remember the exact article, but Deepest House wrote an EBC article on a Senate discussion and the conduct of certain Senators that was missed by most people, including some very influential people at the time. That was an example of a news article reporting solely on factual events within the region but it resulted in a discussion about Senate conduct. I also think if a news article can provide more background, statistics or analysis to a news event then that too, can be a useful addition. The EBC shouldn't just be for "sexy" articles such as op-eds, poll analysis or entertainment. It should still serve as a source of reliable information for citizens and residents of the region.

Honestly, I didn’t know the weekly updates weren’t going out as dispatches.

When we first started doing them, that was their sole purpose. They are for an external audience. It’s fine to publish them internally, but if we aren’t issuing those as dispatches, we might as well not do them.

I use the weekly updates to help me put out my own dispatches, but the consistency of them being used as dispatches and utilizing the Dispatch Squad before that was low.

Honestly, I think you should just rip it verbatim. No need to duplicate efforts. I don’t want to turn this into an argument for merging the executive, so I’ll just say that Kura has highlighted one of the inefficiencies of basically having two communications departments in Euro.

Kura, I think you and I used to do a weekly dispatch. And even that was a devolution from where we started - doing independent dispatches for a lot of news pieces (we were producing so much content that I don’t think that remained feasible at the time). Somehow, somewhere along the way, the weekly dispatch became the weekly update and it stopped going out abroad.

I recommend that the CoS and the FM work out a deal that allows the CoFA, or their designee, to send out the weekly update verbatim as a dispatch. It’ll reduce Kura’s duplication of effort and provide a return for whomever produces the update in the MoC. Right now, there is basically no return for that effort.

Honestly, I think you should just rip it verbatim. No need to duplicate efforts. I don’t want to turn this into an argument for merging the executive, so I’ll just say that Kura has highlighted one of the inefficiencies of basically having two communications departments in Euro.

Kura, I think you and I used to do a weekly dispatch. And even that was a devolution from where we started - doing independent dispatches for a lot of news pieces (we were producing so much content that I don’t think that remained feasible at the time). Somehow, somewhere along the way, the weekly dispatch became the weekly update and it stopped going out abroad.

I recommend that the CoS and the FM work out a deal that allows the CoFA, or their designee, to send out the weekly update verbatim as a dispatch. It’ll reduce Kura’s duplication of effort and provide a return for whomever produces the update in the MoC. Right now, there is basically no return for that effort.
There's a CoS election coming up in which such talks would be better placed. The reason, the only reason, we took this route is to make sure dispatches were getting their due focus. They weren't getting done and the Dispatch Squad was languishing. With new people taking the helm, we might see the proper redirection of that focus.

Back