[Inside Government] Midterm Senate Satisfaction Polling Analysis

Mid-term Senate Satisfaction Polling Analysis
How satisfied is the Europeian public with the Senate?

Written by Forilian

The Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) ran a poll on satisfaction with the Senate from 29 to 31 July. There were 25 respondents.

Overall Satisfaction
Only 44 percent of respondents said that they were satisfied with the Senate as a whole, with notably no respondent saying they were very satisfied with the Senate. This is a significant drop from the last Senate, which had a 76.9 percent satisfaction rate at the end of the term. 24 percent of respondents were neutral about the work of the Senate, while another 24 percent were unsatisfied, with a further 8 percent very unsatisfied. Comments were generally negative towards the Senate, but one commenter noted that “despite some hiccups” the Senate “has still passed four bills, one of which was a fairly big change to the way Senate elections work.”
09A693AA-A743-4545-B3C8-13FAC2C92ECC.jpeg
Despite some hiccups it has still passed four bills, one of which was a fairly big change to the way Senate elections work.
Seems a little aimless.
Seems like nothing's getting done. Pages and pages of discussion.
That VP requirement took too much time and attention. Those walls they typed... Really could have used their energy better, in my opinion
This Senate hasn’t achieved very much, and it’s due to select Senators.
Stop trying to "fix" things that aren't broken. Especially when the proposed fixes often break things
Senate Speaker GraVandius
Senate Speaker GraVandius received the same satisfaction rating as the Senate as a whole, 44 percent. This includes 20 percent of respondents being very satisfied, and 24 percent being satisfied. 24 percent were neutral, 24 percent unsatisfied, and 8 percent very unsatisfied. Comments were split, with some responses noting that GraVandius is “doing [a] pretty good job” and that “he’s done what he’s supposed to,” while some other respondents had less positive remarks, with one saying that GraVandius “does not seem to have the emotional maturity for the job.”
A52889CC-C770-483B-AAC2-524AB015C9CA.jpeg
He's a good Senator and he's great at his admin duties as Speaker. He isn't a "neutral" Speaker like Lloen was when it comes to issues however. GraV makes pretty clear when he's angry or frustrated.
Does not seem to have the emotional maturity for the job
Doing pretty good job
Why so aggressive?
Good performance this term, able to argue his points well but also is willing to accept he is in the minority at times.
The senate started off very well but then that VP thing... Really expected better coordination and less unnecessary emotions. I'm satisfied with him as a senator but not as speaker
Declaring the amendment as "urgent" was a weird reaction.
He’s done what he’s supposed to.
Senator Calvin Coolidge
Senator Calvin Coolidge received a satisfaction rating of 56 percent, with 36 percent very satisfied and 20 percent satisfied. 20 percent of respondents were neutral, 12 percent unsatisfied, and another 12 percent very unsatisfied. Positive comments for Calvin Coolidge noted that while his views are “controversial” or “isn’t popular,” he “knows when to concede and step back,” while negative comments called him an “obstructionist” and said that “his stances he takes are stubborn and not explained well.”
C01BF0F4-0076-4D69-97BD-3A7D8E5CD939.jpeg
Calvin has raised his points quite well in the Senate. And has engaged in debates even if his opinion isn't popular.
Again, the VP thing. He and all the others made it so annoying...
I don't mind the ideas he has, but his stances he takes are stubborn and not explained well.
Overall I think he's done well. He can seem a bit like an obstructionist at times however.
Not much to say. Keeps bringing up controversial legislation, but knows when to concede and step back. Knows how to get things done rather than holding discussions hostage.
Obstructionist.
I don't know how his ridiculously damaging views continue to allow him to be elected.
Senator Darkslayer
With a satisfaction rating of 76 percent, Senator Darkslayer received the highest approval rating of the entire Senate. 28 percent of respondents were very satisfied, 48 percent satisfied, with 8 percent each neutral, unsatisfied, and very unsatisfied. Comments were generally positive, with two even indicating that they would like to see Darkslayer serve as Senate speaker.
B14E7330-A400-4A4F-B8F5-A46B3A21AB7E.jpeg
He's done a good job. He knows when to stick his ground and when to fall back.
I expected better from him, he makes some really disappointing and silly decisions, his view on VP being a minister was ridiculous, poorly reasoned and generally made no sense. This senator is completely out of touch with the rest of the region and should resign.
Seemed a little shaky/wish-washy at the start of the term, but has been doing an excellent job lately.
Was quite good, especially in the beginning. Then kind of disappeared but maybe it was for the better, given how much controversy there was. Good choice for speaker next time, has potential. Honestly, while writing the comment I went from neutral to satisfied
Darkslayer showed good leadership during the senate speaker process, running the process really well. Although the AIC caused some controversy, he knew to withdraw it without putting it a vote, and apologised. I think Darkslayer knows when to make the right calls at the right time. I hope to see him as speaker in the future.
Senator Lime
Senator Lime received a satisfaction rating of 52 percent, with 8 percent very satisfied and 44 percent satisfied. Lime received the highest neutral response out of all senators, with 32 percent neutral. Notably, no respondent indicated that they were very unsatisfied with Lime, with only 16 percent of responses indicating they were unsatisfied with Lime. Comments were split between positive and neutral, with three comments indicating that Lime was relatively quiet, and 2 responses saying that Lime, “still [did] a good job” and “makes some very good points.”
CBA01036-E15B-4116-9153-AF697CF2A093.jpeg
He makes some very good points and I can clearly see his line of thought.
Is he even there?
Quieter this term, but still a good job.
Quiet, but not inactive. True neutral here
Senator Mr. Verteger
Senator Mr. Verteger received a 60 percent satisfaction rating, with 44 percent very satisfied, the highest of any senator, and 16 percent satisfied. 12 percent were neutral, and while Mr. Verteger received a relatively high dissatisfaction rating at 28 percent, there were no very unsatisfied responses for Mr. Verteger. Comments were overwhelmingly positive, with commenters saying that Mr. Verteger “surprised” and “impressed” them this term, and a commenter describing him as an “outstanding” Senator, with one even going further to say that he is “the best Senator so far.”
D03E5571-8B52-458C-9113-6D967A6F7BD5.jpeg
Vert has been a very good Senator. Active, provides good responses and was the mastermind behind the large changes to Senate elections.
Crazy madman? Sure. But an effective Senator so far.
Really impressed this term. Proposes legislation with sound reasoning, has articulate arguments. Not always the most practical/supported legislation, but I can see his reasoning and justification clearly.
Started some discussions, actually the best senator so far. If it were possible, I would reelect him
Vert has been outstanding as a Senator this term
Really surprised me this term. Sad that he’s not running again, because I need to V4V for once
Senator Pichtonia
Senator Pichtonia received an approval rating of 68 percent, with 28 percent very satisfied and 40 percent satisfied. 20 percent of respondents were neutral, with 4 percent unsatisfied and 8 percent very unsatisfied. Comments were generally positive, with commenters adding that Pichtonia “adds a steady voice to discussions” and “keeps his head cool and calm.”
47A13566-99A6-43A8-A821-FA2C11A5201D.jpeg
Pichto makes his line of thought very clear and argues his points well.
I dislike his views on the VP, but he does at least have some reasoning there, even if it is wrong
Doing a fine job, always adds a steady voice to discussions.
Willing to compromise but... compromise wasn't achieved. I'm not sure anyone could have done better though
Often one of two adults in the Senate (the other being Prim.) Keeps his head cool and calm.
Senator Prim
Note: Prim has since resigned from his Senate position.

Senator Prim received a satisfaction rating of 64 percent, with 36 percent very satisfied and 28 percent satisfied. 16 percent were neutral, with 20 percent unsatisfied. Comments were positive generally, with his work being described as “very good.”
BB44C429-2B9B-4ED2-8B8D-59C2011FFCDF.jpeg
Prim has done well and made good contributions. Not as active as he was last term, but still very good.
Not much to say, experienced legislator.
I really didn't see what he was doing, a weird term. Though I might be wrong
Prim is the other adult in the Senate, and keeps the Senate (relatively) cool and calm. Very good job, Prim.
Re-Election?
We then asked respondents who they would like to see re-elected to the next Senate. 72 percent of respondents wanted to see Senator Pichtonia re-elected, followed by Darkslayer (64 percent), Prim (60 percent), Mr. Verteger (60 percent), Calvin Coolidge (48 percent), GraVandius (44 percent), and Lime (32 percent).
26452EDA-09DB-4CFE-BD08-8722AAC0B618.jpeg
Who would you want to see elected to the 75th Senate that isn’t on the 74th?
Lloenflys (6)
Peeps, Forilian, South Eastern Centralia (5)
Aexnidaral, McEntire, Malashaan, Common-Sense Politics (3)
Drecq, Istillian, Astrellan, Seva, SkyGreen24, HEM (2)
Lethen, United Vietussia, Dax, Vlaska, Darcness, Maowi, Xecrio (1)
Darcness, Drecq, Malashaan, CSP, Peeps, Istillian, DAX, McEntire
Lloenflys
Aex, CSP, Peeps, Fori
SkyGreen, SEC, Ist, Maowi, Seva
HEM, McEntire, Lloenflys
Forilian, Vlaska, SEC, Lloen
I want to see Forilian there finally. Also Peeps, SEC, Siph/Astrellan; Vlaska would be interesting but probably impossible, Lloenflys of course, is such a calming influence, McEntire; Lethen would be fun to see in the Senate, please, make dreams come true
Xecrio, South Eastern Centralia, Seva, SkyGreen, Forilian
SEC, Aex and Mal
Peeps, Siphlygon, Malashaan, HEM, Aexnidaral, Forilian
Peeps, Lloenflys
Malashaan, Drecq, Lloen, UV, SEC, Peeps, CSP

Last edited:
There's a zero percent chance I'm ever going to click to view graphs in a separate window, much less several times over. Why can't we use bbcode to include the images like everybody else does?

There's a zero percent chance I'm ever going to click to view graphs in a separate window, much less several times over. Why can't we use bbcode to include the images like everybody else does?
Oops! They didn’t transfer over properly. I’ll fix it right now
EDIT: Fixed

These are pretty rough numbers. I mean, not a single person strongly approving of the current Senate isn't great. Most of the Senate has good re-elect numbers, although we know Prim and Vert, two of those with good numbers, won't be running again.

One notable thing here is the great numbers for @Mr. Verteger. After a few middling stints in the Senate, he broke out of the back this term. Best strong approval of anybody! Congrats, Vert. Well-deserved for hustling and bringing some spice to the Senate, and generating a lot of ideas and discussion.

Shot:
I expected better from him, he makes some really disappointing and silly decisions, his view on VP being a minister was ridiculous, poorly reasoned and generally made no sense. This senator is completely out of touch with the rest of the region and should resign.
Chaser:
With a satisfaction rating of 76 percent, Senator Darkslayer received the highest approval rating of the entire Senate.

Perhaps it's not Darkslayer who is that out of touch... lmao

While I disagree with Dark's VP stance, as does a vast majority of the region if polls are believed, there is room for disagreement and satisfaction. I would point to Lloenflys as a prime example, he was against the popular remerge yet if I remember correctly he was the most popular Senator when it comes to satisfaction.

What Peeps said. There have been many senators that I have high marks for despite how they felt on a specific issue. I vehemently disagree with Dark on the VP issue but he is a mature, knowledgeable, and active Senator. So he deserved that amount of approval imo despite his stance on some issues.

These results are definitely harsh for the Senate as a whole as well as for some individually, myself included in that. I certainly intend to increase my visibility in the Senate based off these results.

As I expected with the Senate's approval numbers this term, I am disappointed, but not surprised. As far as my results go, at the time of this poll's release, I was the only Senator to have authored multiple bills this term that were put into law, the only Senator to change my vote after taking a public stance (Title Removal Amendment), and was one of three Senators who voted against every iteration of the VP/Minister removal bill.

Yet, I was the only one called "stubborn" and an "obstructionist", twice. I guess people see what they want to see, but seeing stuff like that, on top of the broad generalization that I have "ridiculously dangerous views", not only here, but also on Discord and in the Grand Hall has made this not only my least favorite Senate term I have been a part of, but one of my least favorite terms in any position here because, believe it or not, it's just not fun to hear this stuff at every turn from a portion of the community every time I say or do anything in the Senate.

If I can be even more frank, this barrage of attacks that I receive daily from some members of the community is a large part of why I had to step back for as long as I did. Yes, there was the real life circumstances that absolutely necessitated a step back, but during the time I was away whenever my mind did go back to Europeia I kept thinking "glad I don't have to hear how my ideas are so god awful today" or whatever. It really did not make it easy to come back, and I know from talking to my fellow Senators that many of them feel this term has been particularly toxic from a select few people outside of the Senate.

And before anyone says "if you don't want to hear criticism, then don't be in the Senate". Yeah, I'm not talking about criticism. I know what that looks like, and I welcome it. I'm talking about the stuff I quoted, and stuff of a similar vein that I've seen multiple times elsewhere in the region this term directed at me because people either see what they want to see or just don't care how they come across as long as they can get their licks in. I hope the second half of the term improves, but I really have low hopes.

The venom is especially weird to me considering, at least I feel personally, like that only real "explosive" issue this term has been the Vice President serving as a Minister thing. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I just genuinely don't understand how an issue so ... overwhelmingly inconsequential can prompt such strong vitriol.

The venom is especially weird to me considering, at least I feel personally, like that only real "explosive" issue this term has been the Vice President serving as a Minister thing. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I just genuinely don't understand how an issue so ... overwhelmingly inconsequential can prompt such strong vitriol.
I would say that the Arnhelm Investigative Committee was pretty explosive.

I have said this in the comms-staff channel and in some other places, but imo we should just get rid of poll comments. I can't really think of a time that they contributed anything to the region, besides of course ill will and snark. If there is a valid concern then it can be said publicly, if it has to be said in an anonymous comment then it probably doesn't have to be said.

I would say that the Arnhelm Investigative Committee was pretty explosive.

That was this term? Huh, I forgot. Still, I'd say that was mostly a flash in the pan that was wildly misinterpreted than the long drawn out process and debate we saw with the VP stuff.

I have said this in the comms-staff channel and in some other places, but imo we should just get rid of poll comments. I can't really think of a time that they contributed anything to the region, besides of course ill will and snark. If there is a valid concern then it can be said publicly, if it has to be said in an anonymous comment then it probably doesn't have to be said.
I would not support this. Yes, some comments are way beyond what we should consider constructive discourse, but I think exposing that kind of behavior has its place, and additionally there are a good amount of reasonable comments that do genuinely inform the numbers in polls like this.

So I said this in voice chat but the softening of our political culture means that if people can't express themselves anonymously, they probably won't. I think that's a shame but it's reality. Do I think this Senate has been a good Senate? Absolutely not, but the comments are way overboard.

There were positive comments in this poll that I'm sure didn't need a whole thread in the Grand Hall for. I understand that there are bad apples, but I think we shouldn't throw out the whole batch for the one bad one.

I understand I am probably in the minority for this, but to me positive comments don't really add much either, they are pretty much just an extension of a approve or strongly approve vote. So that isn't a particularly persuasive argument for me either.

I think we often see insightful comments, just not always. I also think if the people leaving these ones weren't so lazy they could be making valid, constructive points.

I'm largely fine with anonymous comments. When they're dumb, they're dumb; and when they go overboard anyone is free to push back on them (like I did with the ones about Darkslayer) Overall, I think that for the most part most comments are okay, and that the bad ones just stand out the most.

Back